Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I lost a Convict Tang, Naso Tang and Blonde Naso Tang in the past week and a half. All were added to my tank on Sept 16 and were doing well. Out all day, eating seaweed (fed daily) then 1 by 1 they started dying.

Each would be hiding in the rocks with a few white spots as they get when they are scared/stressed and the following day I would find it dead. No signs of ick and none of my other fish are agreesive at all. Everything else in tank is doing well.

Does anyone have any ideas? I only have 1 Naso Tang left now...

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im pretty sure it was because you added so much too soon. I kinda warned you about that in your tank thread. I think you overloaded your bio filter and the fish got stressed. You have to be careful with how many fish you add. I know you upgraded to the 120 but its still not that big of a tank. I would stick with the one tang you have left. Sorry to be so blunt but Im just trying to save you from wasting money

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im pretty sure it was because you added so much too soon. I kinda warned you about that in your tank thread. I think you overloaded your bio filter and the fish got stressed. You have to be careful with how many fish you add. I know you upgraded to the 120 but its still not that big of a tank. I would stick with the one tang you have left. Sorry to be so blunt but Im just trying to save you from wasting money

No apology needed, you did warn me but I'm still not convinced it was too much yet. I'm not trying to be difficult, just want to understand because it doesn't make sense to me.

If it was bio-load, my levels should have gone up right? I also would have expected to see a couple of dead snails and my corals at least closed up since they are the most sensitive. I also would not have expected them to seem to be well acclimated only to get stressed a week to week and a half later and at different times. All were added on Sept 16, found Blonde Naso on Sept 22, Convict on 26th and Naso on 29th.

Ammonia and Nitrite remained 0 and never spiked with daily tests. Nitrates at 5, Alk 9.5, Calcium 500 and Magnesium 1400. I did my bi-weekly 20g water change yesterday.

Cris007

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Did u buy them all from the same place? Sometimes it happens doesn't necessarily has to do with your setup. We don't know there history how there where caught and handled unless you buy from a fellow reefer who had them in there tank for a while.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did u buy them all from the same place? Sometimes it happens doesn't necessarily has to do with your setup. We don't know there history how there where caught and handled unless you buy from a fellow reefer who had them in there tank for a while.

Yeah I bought them all at Fishtown USA, I've never had an issue with anything from there before but yeah you never know...

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
No it wasn't ick. Tangs get white spots to try to blend into their surroundings when they're scared or stressed...

thats good to know cause my hippo had spots off and on for two weeks. he's eating fine and no other tangs have spots. hope your right cause i'v been researching ick and never read anything like that, thanks for info.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
nasos & blonde nasos have white blotches on them when they're stressed and sometimes sleeping. Similar to the way a foxface looks weird when stressed.

James,

When you say spots do you mean blotches that are about half the size of a tic tac or salt granules? If it looks like salt... it was most likely ich.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
thats good to know cause my hippo had spots off and on for two weeks. he's eating fine and no other tangs have spots. hope your right cause i'v been researching ick and never read anything like that, thanks for info.

When hippos stress out, they usually become pale where as nasos become darker and exhibit a few white blotches on their sides. If you saw spots that looked like salt granules than it is/was ich.

Keep an eye on water parameters and keep'em fat with nori, garlic and/or selcon. Fresh garlic is good too minced up finely.

stevemason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have been doing a lot of research on tangs (especially naso) and popular belief is anything under 4 inches is not likely to survive. the other thing is fishman 1069 is a friend and tells me the same things constantly. He is 100% correct but I understand the "impulse thing"
-SORRY FOR YOUR LOSSES :(

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
nasos & blonde nasos have white blotches on them when they're stressed and sometimes sleeping. Similar to the way a foxface looks weird when stressed.

James,

When you say spots do you mean blotches that are about half the size of a tic tac or salt granules? If it looks like salt... it was most likely ich.

No, it was the blotches as you describe above... they came and went the first day or so. Had them when I brought them home from being transported and they were gone by later that night. Yes, this is for Nasos! Sorry ;)

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Could have been a internal virus of some type, I bought a pair of 8 line red sea flashers, They died in my QT after 2 weeks and were eating everything. I talked to the LFS and they had lost all the ones in the tanks and all the ones sold to the other customers as well. Glad it wasn't in my DT.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Could have been a internal virus of some type, I bought a pair of 8 line red sea flashers, They died in my QT after 2 weeks and were eating everything. I talked to the LFS and they had lost all the ones in the tanks and all the ones sold to the other customers as well. Glad it wasn't in my DT.

usually when fish die like that its not viral though the lfs will tell you it is. most likely it was cyanide poisoning. a tell tale sign is when the fish are eating and look wonderful and all at once one by one they just die. lfs dont tell you that because they know you may not return due to the fact they get fish that are captured like that

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: