Rating - 100%
92   0   0
First of all I asked what is the hardiest type of fish,coral to put in for beginners? BABY STEPS and all are telling me your moving to fast. When you setup a tank you want something in the tank, you are not going to have a tank sit there for 2 months with just water and not animals that ridiculous. Does anyone use microbacteria to cycle their tanks these days? Well I did with One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria from Dr. Tims Aquatics and I dont see any signs or problems for a tank that is 4 weeks old. My cleaner shrimp is growing it shed its skin yesterday so that's a good sign, all my water parameters are in check. The clowns are growing etc so I don't see the need to wait 3 months for a cycle to complete if your using microbacteria to start the tank. So I think if something was wrong with my water the fish, shrimp, snails, hermits all would be dead by now.

we all did it, and cycled properly, the cleaner might be molting due to stress as well....not necessarily a good sign....your question was what is the hardiest thing to basically torture in your tank and we all responded for you to slow down that you were moving too fast....when 10 people advise against something you dont just sit there waiting for someone to agree with you

if 9/10 doctors recommend one thing over another would you not choose their choice instead of the single jackass who says the government is tracking us with chips they implant on us when we get a vaccine.....

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
people quarentine fish longer than your tank been running.Of course no one wants to see a tank empty for 2 months but for some thats what works for them.Im glad you had no problems so far,but be carefull how much you feed that tank.Some of these methods sound like paranoid over kill, but read around and take a look at some of the tanks people have on here,the members here are giving you advice on their experiences and they do things for a reason.. Give it time youll run into a problem and then youll understand why this takes time..

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
the gov does track us not by chips,cells metrocards ezpass supermarket demographic studies and all the entertaining things we do on the internet. lol

Hahahhaa, the facebook empire tracks us, anyways back to topic....you come on asking for advice on easy fish to keep, and yes while its hard to see an empty tank, the basic principle to this hobby is patience...you might not see the effect a cycling tank may have on fish/corals immediately but if anything does happen, you know who told ya so!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
honestly you used, live sand, live rock, and DR Tim's so then u also waited 2 weeks after that. honestly i would say its fine to add the 2 fish u added. DR Tim's even says u can ass right away like most ppl do exp using live sand and live rock there is usually never a ling cycle or one at all at least every time ive used these three things in combo.

of course everyone has there own way of cycling and doing things, and there all great ways but if its not their way... hence all the hate lol

GL with the tank keep us posted. ...pics pics!

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
honestly you used, live sand, live rock, and DR Tim's so then u also waited 2 weeks after that. honestly i would say its fine to add the 2 fish u added. DR Tim's even says u can ass right away like most ppl do exp using live sand and live rock there is usually never a ling cycle or one at all at least every time ive used these three things in combo.

of course everyone has there own way of cycling and doing things, and there all great ways but if its not their way... hence all the hate lol

GL with the tank keep us posted. ...pics pics!

that wasnt the issue, live sand and live rock if bought from a store often arent cured and technically "live" dr. tims works well as a starter but it does not mature the bacteria colonies or allow for a full bio load and there are still issues with alk and ph fluctuations dr. tims gets you bacteria not stability well but he never posted up parameters or anything along those lines and any time anyone asked him for them he just said everything is ok according to someone else meaning he hasnt tested himself and possibly doesnt even know how....for all we know his tank is fun however until some parameters are put up its safer to assume that its not

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
that wasnt the issue, live sand and live rock if bought from a store often arent cured and technically "live" dr. tims works well as a starter but it does not mature the bacteria colonies or allow for a full bio load and there are still issues with alk and ph fluctuations dr. tims gets you bacteria not stability well but he never posted up parameters or anything along those lines and any time anyone asked him for them he just said everything is ok according to someone else meaning he hasnt tested himself and possibly doesnt even know how....for all we know his tank is fun however until some parameters are put up its safer to assume that its not
''yeah you have a point, cuz i on the other hand check mine everyday! lol, and made sure everything was fully cured all rdy :D

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't you guys being a little harsh? 55 gal, live rock and sand, 18 days cycling, added nitrifying bacteria. He's entitled to add two one inch fish. I mighta chosen damsels, but I'll bet it turns out alright.

OP...but go slow, and learn to check your own parameters. Wait a month, then add maybe two more fish. Then a month and maybe some shrooms.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Aren't you guys being a little harsh? 55 gal, live rock and sand, 18 days cycling, added nitrifying bacteria. He's entitled to add two one inch fish. I mighta chosen damsels, but I'll bet it turns out alright.

OP...but go slow, and learn to check your own parameters. Wait a month, then add maybe two more fish. Then a month and maybe some shrooms.

if you would have read in the beginning everyone started off nice nice but as the ignorance went on the annoyance level of everyone went up, he is entitled to 2 fish if the cycle is fully done which no one here knows or not because the OP wont post parameters so as far as we know he could still be cycling makes no sense to believe otherwise until some information is posted up and i dont get why you would ask questions on a forum if you were going to refuse advice....

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
if you would have read in the beginning everyone started off nice nice but as the ignorance went on the annoyance level of everyone went up, he is entitled to 2 fish if the cycle is fully done which no one here knows or not because the OP wont post parameters so as far as we know he could still be cycling makes no sense to believe otherwise until some information is posted up and i dont get why you would ask questions on a forum if you were going to refuse advice....

+1 i mean i started when i was 10...no guidance no internet to search on how to set up a fish tank..certainly no forum to ask questions...all i had were outdated books in the library. so i bought a tank, rocks and filled up the tank with tap water and threw fish in the same day, but that was when i was a kid. Nowadays there shouldn't be any excuse not to follow good advice

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
+1 i mean i started when i was 10...no guidance no internet to search on how to set up a fish tank..certainly no forum to ask questions...all i had were outdated books in the library. so i bought a tank, rocks and filled up the tank with tap water and threw fish in the same day, but that was when i was a kid. Nowadays there shouldn't be any excuse not to follow good advice

hahah sounds like me =X

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He said his cousin checked the water and it was within tolerance. Why do you assume the worst?

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm sorry but no bottled additives can speed up or ensure a biological process is complete. My tank has been empty/cycling since sandy and will remain that way until I am completely convinced that nature has done her thing. One thing i learned from my mistakes as well almost every other reefer is not to rush and OP has failed in doing so. OP said that his water tests were within reason. For livestock there is no within reason for ammonia. For the OP's fish's sake, I hope everything works out just fine.

stevemason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
if youre like me (and a lot of others) you wont wait.... so i wont tell you to. however i will tell u that u found the best site with some of the smartest reefers in the hobby. and part of what makes them smart is the advice theyre giving u. it takes a little time but u will find out they are not telling u to wait because they dont want u to have a nice tank. in fact most guys will come and set your tank up with some cool **** for free because thats how much they care about the ecosystems that we call our dt (Display Tank) oh and I cant put a strong enough emphasis on what the other steve said about quarantining fish or aka a hospital tank. if u cant set one up there a lot of guys willing to hold a fish for u. remember this as a rule.. if one gets ich, they're all getting sick!! especially u!!!!!!!! I lost a tank full. probably1300 that day i lost... and that was 5 fish! an achilles tang, king Angel, red sea blond naso tang, and a purple tang... oh yeah and the hippo tang who committed suicide by jumping out of a 30" deep tank! another saying u shud remember and live by... i liken reefing to driving a race car... the faster u drive it, the harder its crashing. good luck, and ask as many questions as u can, these guys know their ****!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I see I stirred up a good discussion on this..... You all will have parameters this weekend with pictures. Im not rushing with things just with 2 kids they want to see NEMO I cant wait for 100% natural cycling so thats why I asked what are the hardier fish so they have something to look at in the tank. Thats all I wanted to know everyone took it way out of proportion.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I'm sorry but no bottled additives can speed up or ensure a biological process is complete. My tank has been empty/cycling since sandy and will remain that way until I am completely convinced that nature has done her thing. One thing i learned from my mistakes as well almost every other reefer is not to rush and OP has failed in doing so. OP said that his water tests were within reason. For livestock there is no within reason for ammonia. For the OP's fish's sake, I hope everything works out just fine.

i beg to differ i have personally used dr.tims one and only and it will cycle the tank literally over night, ive tested and monitored it myself and can vouch for it, however it does not stabalize your conditions your ph is still fluctuating and you are not at full bio load yet but i ran a test with it twice and has worked both times

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: