Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Wow I see I stirred up a good discussion on this..... You all will have parameters this weekend with pictures. Im not rushing with things just with 2 kids they want to see NEMO I cant wait for 100% natural cycling so thats why I asked what are the hardier fish so they have something to look at in the tank. Thats all I wanted to know everyone took it way out of proportion.

which you went and picked up but then you were looking to add some corals too

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Im not rushing with things just with 2 kids they want to see NEMO I cant wait for 100% natural cycling so thats why I asked what are the hardier fish so they have something to look at in the tank.

Actually, that's the EXACT opposite of what I would've done. Teaching your children patience and proper reefing techniques will instill a lifetime of values to your children. No matter what age!

Russ

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brunoboarder - I just want to know where I should start off with in the coral department. Something hardy and cheap for first timers? Once I get the hang of it I will move onto the harder more expensive style. There are mixed reviews on the net so just wanted to see opinions on here.

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Brunoboarder - I just want to know where I should start off with in the coral department. Something hardy and cheap for first timers? Once I get the hang of it I will move onto the harder more expensive style. There are mixed reviews on the net so just wanted to see opinions on here.

look first is first we would like to see some parameters and it is really necessary for you to know how to test and for you to test on atleast a weekly basis for atleast the first couple months

however for corals it really depends on your lighting....your best bet for easiest corals would be some low light mushrooms and cheap zoanthids/palys if you can start posting some parameters and some more indepth info on your tank etc i will personally see if i have any frags of easy stuff that ill just give to you but first read up and do some research and work on testing and then we'll talk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats why I was asking for information so I can read up and research. I wasnt going to buy anything yet because I see how expensive this stuff is. Just FYI so I can research and get the parameters correct for that type of coral.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
There are exceptions to everything. There are people 90 years old who have smoked all their lives. So yes it is possible that smoking won't hurt you. But for 95% of the population ... So yes you put fish in there and it worked for you. But the advice given, not to do that, is still sound. And the proof can be found by reading threads of all those who tried it and failed.
Even a tank that has completed a cycle, is very limited at what it can handle. There just is not enough bacteria to handle everything until your system matures. So what you do is slowly add to the bio load giving the bacteria a chance to multiply and adjust to the new load.

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
OP did you get a chance to check your parameters? I found an API reef master test kit in my garage. If you come to NJ, I'll show you how to use it and give it to you for free!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: