Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliment!:)

What exactly are your parameters at? Please give values.;)

It takes time to deplete the P04 being released by the LR & sand. It did so 6 years ago with my tank which the LR had stewed in "Tap Water" for about 17 yrs. Please do not give up. The battle can be won if you are patient.;)

With most if not all "Red Slime Removers" it is stated in the directions that you may need to do two treatments.

Current state of my tank after several weeks of dealing with Cyano via several times per week water changes,and now weekly, running GFO through a reactor, dosing 1 gallon of Lanthanum Chloride at a value of 5ml of lanthanum to a gallon of ro/di water. Siphoned red & green slime out. Four #4 koralias running plus two return pumps - so plenty of flow. Three days of lights out, several weeks of 100% blue leds on, and 30% white leds on for four hours, feeding once per week. (NO FISH in the tank just corals & CUC)..

I also still see some "Cyano", but happy to report that it is diminishing.;) I have NOT yet used the "Chemi CLean" red slime remover. May do so this weekend or not. Still want to see if I can in fact get rid of it without chemicals.

Couple of should read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/46961-cyanobacteria-primer.html

We can beat this!!!!
thanks for the info, i was thinking about giving up, taking too financially and disappointing .gonna give it a shot

shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like we have the same problem, my issue started maybe 2 months ago, I basically did everything you did, except I never used chemicals. I'm beginning to win the fight by using gfo. However I saw the biggest change once I began stocking up nassarius snails and sand sifting conches. Perhaps because they keep the top layer of sand well oxygenated? hope this will help.

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like we have the same problem, my issue started maybe 2 months ago, I basically did everything you did, except I never used chemicals. I'm beginning to win the fight by using gfo. However I saw the biggest change once I began stocking up nassarius snails and sand sifting conches. Perhaps because they keep the top layer of sand well oxygenated? hope this will help.

Thanks very much I will looking the snails as well I should receive my GFO from BRS this week,

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info, hopefully Tuesday I should get my GFO kit from BRS

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1364756850.049149.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364756850.049149.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 255
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1364756898.375078.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364756898.375078.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 257

shmibly

True Maggot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^it is a fight you WILL win. I also only run my lights for 7 hours now as opposed to the 10 or 11 I used to run before... I really couldnt tell the difference but I can only logically think that it did make a difference...I also started to run my fuge light 24h a day in hopes to create a battle between sump algae and tank algae...I'm going to guess my success was a combo of stuff? Not sure if the fuge light thing was mentioned but its just something else to try I suppose. Good luck.

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my 10 gallon water change today, still red slime, thanks to USPS the assholes can't find my GFO reactor and other stuff from BRS... Waiting impatiently been 3 days now

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I get the slime once and a while, maybe once every 6 months. I use the red slime algae remover and then do a 25% WC two days later. No slime....for about 6 months. It works for me.....

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Yep run it all the time. The slime for me means it is time to change my ro filters or t5 bulbs, the red slime algae remover does work though, just shut off your skimmer, and I am not a proponent of chemicals, etc

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I used cyano solution thanks to Gary's recommendation and only problem was that skimmer freaked out for 2 days. SPS,LPS, and zoos all fine. Cyano is 100% gone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: