AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just noticed that one my emeralds appears to be getting mobbed by a bunch of snails. You can see him in the pic under the pile and looks like another crab is joining in. Not sure if they killed him or he died and they are taking advantage. Could it be that they are running out of natural stuff to eat and are resorting to cannibalism??? Pretty pissed right now because I like the emeralds!

Attachments

• Crab Attack.jpg
    Crab Attack.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 282
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I don't have any fish in the tank yet. Just the CUC. I have some New Life Spectrum Pellets. Should I start adding that? How much and how often?

Oh wow, ok didn't know that. Did he just died? They were probably feasting on his carcass and not killed him like you thought. I usually don't feed my CUC for awhile since they pick on the rocks. How long ago did you add the CUC and how many?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oh wow, ok didn't know that. Did he just died? They were probably feasting on his carcass and not killed him like you thought. I usually don't feed my CUC for awhile since they pick on the rocks. How long ago did you add the CUC and how many?

I'm not sure how he died. Was walking past the tank and I noticed the feeding frenzy. I thought I saw him moving but hard to say for sure. CUC has been in there for about 3 weeks now.
100 Dwarf Cerith
38 Florida Cerith
25 assorted Hermits
25 Nerite Snails
3 Emeralds (now 2 emeralds)
23 Nassarius

This was recommended to me by reefcleaners

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I'm not sure how he died. Was walking past the tank and I noticed the feeding frenzy. I thought I saw him moving but hard to say for sure. CUC has been in there for about 3 weeks now.
100 Dwarf Cerith
38 Florida Cerith
25 assorted Hermits
25 Nerite Snails
3 Emeralds (now 2 emeralds)
23 Nassarius

This was recommended to me by reefcleaners

Ok that size CUC is kinda overkill in my opinion. I usually go for about 1 cerith snail for every 10 gallons or so I still think that's too many. I also get about 1 blue leg hermit crab per 10 gallons. On the nassarius I usually go for 1 per 20-25 gallons, this way they don't starve. I had great success like that, you can always add more. I had 2 emeralds on my 120. Hope this helps.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
when i got my cuc, i ordered for a tank 1/2 the size. it sounded like more snails than coral.
you can feed what ever you would feed fish, but not as much and not as often.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Damn. I thought that sounded a bit high when i placed the order but I didn't know any better.

So what to feed? Like I said I have the New Life Spectrum pellets. How much and how often?

I'd say a few pellets every other day, I'm assuming they're sinking pellets. You don't want the pellets to stay at the bottom uneaten too long. Go slow, you'll be able to judge how much to give them.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Most animals are opportunistic eaters: when they see something dead or dying, they go for it. That is why you see giant clams getting cleaned up really fast, including by snails when they die.

Regarding CUC sizes: in general it is better to not start "full size" on it right after cycling , because unless you have a very large algae bloom to support it, they are going to starve.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Most animals are opportunistic eaters: when they see something dead or dying, they go for it. That is why you see giant clams getting cleaned up really fast, including by snails when they die.

Regarding CUC sizes: in general it is better to not start "full size" on it right after cycling , because unless you have a very large algae bloom to support it, they are going to starve.

I was concerned about that when I emailed reefcleaners for a custom CUC. I specifically told them that I had a small diatom bloom and that I was concerned about the CUC starving so when they replied with their suggestion, even though it sounded high, I figured they know more than I do. Oh well.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I was concerned about that when I emailed reefcleaners for a custom CUC. I specifically told them that I had a small diatom bloom and that I was concerned about the CUC starving so when they replied with their suggestion, even though it sounded high, I figured they know more than I do. Oh well.

It happens man, no biggie. I've done that same mistake. Right now I have 3 snails in my 80 gallon tank and about 10-15 crabs which I think it's too many. They're eating we'll though. The snails are always active and I won't get anymore, maybe 2-3 nassarius a few months down the line.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
From the looks on the picture it looks like you just set up the tank just now? If so then there isn't no life in your tank yet then. So that could of been the reason why all the snails are piling on type of your crab since then don't find no other place in your tank for food.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
From the looks on the picture it looks like you just set up the tank just now? If so then there isn't no life in your tank yet then. So that could of been the reason why all the snails are piling on type of your crab since then don't find no other place in your tank for food.

Yeah its been running since end of March. I got the CUC to handle my diatom bloom but its pretty much under control now at least for the time being so I guess food might be getting scarce. I started dropping pellets to supplement but I'm pissed about that emerald. Those guys are cool to watch. Funny this is when the pellets hit the sand, a bunch of snails popped out of the sand as if they heard it hit the ground. is that possible??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: