jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling aiptasia for last few months. Using aiptasia X but I have to use it once a week. I don't really like to put this stuff in my tank on a regular basis. I've read about copper band butterfly and file fish. I'm looking for some advise and success stories. I know I can't get rid of it but I want to control it. I have a 90 gal reef tank most common corals.
Thanks for any advise

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
A matted filefish took care of my aptasia problem in a week.... Then ate one of my wellso brains but it was worth it. So
Far that's the only coral it's picked at.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Every solution I've heard is said to be a hit or a miss. I tried aip-x but that was only temporary. I had a copperband but they came back after I lost the fish. The only thing that worked was a few peppermint shrimps I got from Manhattan aquariums. If you do try the shrimp make sure that they are really peppermint.

turbotone

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peppermint shrimp work well... i bought only 2 for my 75 and in about 6 weeks they were all gone and now they rest in the opposite side tank of my cleaner shrimps.. had about 20-30 every week after i hit them up with aptasia x.. got tired of doing it.. pacific aquariums is where i got mines off of delancey st

tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I had a huge aptasia problem and one file fish cleaned it up great
It's been a few months now and the file fish is still doing well without the aptasia to eat
Actually I should find out what else they eat besides the aptasia

lcj2046

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What worked for me was to cook all my live rock in the oven at 420 degrees. for thrity minutes and start all over!!! file fish , cooper band, p shrimps, ap-x,, was hit and missed all came back plus more nothing worked. except cooking and dipping coral and rock for the rest of my reefing!!!

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Ya I started w dead rock, so I think it's something that will always b introduced.... I qt everything for a long time before adding anything to display..
I use the Manjano wand and aiptasia x.. B shrimp seem the way to go.., I don't have many, but def don't want them to spread

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do peppermint shrimp eat or bother corals? Zoos? Totally reef safe?

Peppermint shrimp can be confused with camel shrimp(not reef safe). Some LFS don't know cause they go by there manifest act and not actually checking each livestock that come in. You can tell the different by looking at the stripes on each....true peppermint shrimp are red with clearest lines and camel shrimp have solid white lines.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: