Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Some do well and some don't like anything else. My point earlier is that more of them would do well if they weren't sold immediately after arrival often enduring acclimation to the dealers tank and then mere hours later another acclimation to the home tank.

I've had reasonable success with a good number of the mari-cultured acros, but I've lost my share as well.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I have a theory about these Bali mini colonies. NSW alk is around 6.5. Most sps reefers keep their alk between 8-11. So when you drop them in the tank(acclimated or not) they don't withstand the alk swing.
I have been keeping my alk at 7-7.5 for a few months now and the results are great so far. Color is better than ever. But growth is slow.

I don't really care about growth being slow.
I have about 10 of these colonies. Mostly from aquarium village and they are all doing great.
I actually had one RTN pretty bad due to high nitrates and it is coming back. Well at least the polyps are. It is basically an acro skeleton with fantastic polyp extension. Go figure.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Your theory might be right, but why would this be specific to Bali mari-cultured colonies and not simply for all wild collected corals?

I think because they come in to the lfs and get put up for sale minutes later.
Even at the lfs they start to brown out a little within days in ,, usually a frag tank with low nutrients. Then within a few weeks they begin to color up again.
I feel when hobbyists place them in their systems with high alk and then compound the situation with detectable, to high nitrates and phosphates. It's a recipe for STN/RTN.
I may be completely off base but I never had luck with any sps until I started keeping lower alk, cal, and mag.
Fwiw I still can't keep montis.
I have yet to figure that one out.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I don't dip any of my coral just temp

there are quite a bit of things that may hitchhike on the corals. some are good some are not so good and some are detrimental.
if you don't dip your corals, eventually you will introduce somethings that can be rather devastating.
most reefers that had been keeping corals for awhile will attest to that.
just google reef pests or coral pests and you will have reading material for the whole summer.

btw....just in case of typo of dip and drip.
corals...dip-yes...drip-no.
fish/inverts...dip-no...drip-yes.

Last edited:

EOD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Interesting about keeping alk low...so if I start to lower my alk from 9dkh to like 6 slowly of course I myself might have better luck with mariculture sps I think I will give it a try..also less dosing of 2 part means saving$$$$ lol..and FMF you have an amazing tank as I can see so I'm sure there's a chiller hooked so temp is ruled out...

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I know from experience that maricultered colonies don't always do well. However wild caught colonies do. Maricultered are grown in the wild so why don't they acclimate to our tanks and thrive? I don't get it I wonder what it is. I don't think it's because they sell so fast because even in stores that don't run sales and sell them for 75 each they don't generally do well. In addition when you purchase a large wild caught aussie colony a min after it hit the store they usually thrive. They are being shipped the same way too. Maybe someone in the business can chime in. Seems like these colonies are getting a bad rep.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I have a lot of mari cultured, aqua cultured, wild acros, all doing very well knock on wood.. I dip the crap out of them, scrub the bottoms w tooth brush and inspect very closely.. Then I do that all over again b4 dt.. Only thing I have lost is a frag of avengers acro which looked bad wn I got it.. My alk is 10-10.5

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: