FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
Yesterday i went to av - took advantage of their sps sale. 3 for $ 100.00 . When i got home i placed all my newbies in a bucket and slow drip for an hour. Placed them in the display tank, all looking well. Just before going to bed i noticed that one of the colony was dying, the skin was coming off the skeleton. The other two are still doing good.

Anyone else has this problem with their sps that was purchased from av ?
Not looking to bash the place...just curious

here is a picture of my tank

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 517

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Smooth skin can be really sensitive mariculture in general u take a risk with them that's why 3 for a $100 is such a great deal !
Did u have a power head and heater in bucket??

I never bothered with drip just float bag bring temp up too match ur tank float for 20 min
If ur gonna dip and we all know we should give it a dip in bucket with tAnk water and power head then into tank

Hearing great things about Bayer advanced insect... For smooth skins as they can be more sensitive than other acros

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I hope you got your $$ back dude
why woulkd he have gotten his money back ?
and why would you drip acclimate sps for a hour ? i have never acclimated a sps, i do treat any and all corals before going into tank and at most i will float the coral to temp adjust

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
This happens fairly frequently, especially when the shipments are sold pretty much right out of the box. They are cheap for a reason-- you assume the risk for QT, acclimation and mortality. If stores hold them first, they assume and absorb the mortality costs and the ones that live need to make up the difference.

Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and let the store settle the animals in first, but with the cheap price feeding frenzy on "out of the shipping box" sales it is harder to get the nicer pieces.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This happens fairly frequently, especially when the shipments are sold pretty much right out of the box. They are cheap for a reason-- you assume the risk for QT, acclimation and mortality. If stores hold them first, they assume and absorb the mortality costs and the ones that live need to make up the difference.

Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and let the store settle the animals in first, but with the cheap price feeding frenzy on "out of the shipping box" sales it is harder to get the nicer pieces.

+1 ....
temp is the big concern with SPS. Big problem lately with LFS doing this lately. Want fast turn over and get rid SPS before STN sets in. If you notice the ones they don't sale after a week. Half the coral has STN. I don't know why there leave in main tank and at least not frag the piece that's still good. Why drip for so long it will not help SPS. Try to keep small Qt frag tank as almost close as the place you buy your frags.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Those maricultured colonies do not do well in captivity in general regardless of skin type. As stated that's why stores sell them cheap right after shipment. They usually are not dipped or acclimated at all and dumped right into the tanks. The problem that people don't realize is coral is sensitive especially sps and unless you take the proper steps before putting it into a system it's going to die. As Pratt Reef said it's better to spend more money and get a piece that will live instead of taking such a risk just to get a deal. The sales are buyer beware and you get what you pay for.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0

Cant agree more. They want them in and out as fast as possible so they dont have to eat the cost of a dead coral after a few days the consumer does. I would not buy these mariculured SPS i would though buy a frag just to see how well it does. I would probably take a chance of a small colony if i saw it at a store for a period of time and pay a little more then to grab it right as it arrives

FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
No i didn't get my money back, and i will not ask for my money back, i understand the risk of sps and this hobby. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.
As of 5:00 pm today, my second colony died - same situation, skin came off the skeleton. Third colony is still doing good.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have to disagree about these $30 colonies being bad or just Lfs trying to make a buck anyone buying these for most part knows the risk and many don't make it ! $30 is a steal many I've seen coming in look just as nice as Le sps going for big $$$ and the truth is alot of times the colony will start rtn but frags of these seem to do well !
Idk for $100 get 3 real nice colonies and I've always had luck with them until parameter swing they just don't deal with alk or temp swing like aquacultured sps can !
If u can keep ur parameters steady long enough for them to grow in a bit I've had 2 really turn into amazing pieces!
To me for $100 if they r nice worth the risk if ur set up for sps is rather get 3 colonies that I feel have potential and see what happens then let the Lfs settel them in! Part the fun in this hobby is finding that diamond in the rough !
Keep the $30 sps sale going!!

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have gotten those small colony's for $20 because they were so cheap. I threw them in a tank just for them. I bought 4 and lost part of one. So not to bad. I like getting the good crabs. So 3 have made it and one I had to cut to save part of it. That's my new :iamwithst: kick... I don't know why....

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have personally bought 6 of them and never lost one, some didnt do as well as others and went into froends tank which is mh and have taken off, leds dont seem to fare well on some of these and i always tell people to start them off in the sand i do use coral rx to treat my stuff so maybe that is helping, i know maximum has had some in the tanks for over a month and havent died either

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: