advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just moved apartments and am starting back up my 40 gal cube that was running but neglected since Sandy in my old apartment. I have a DIY LED fixture that hangs from the ceiling - 20 inches above the water. 12 Cree XPE whites and 24 XPE blues (3 watts each - 108 watts total). The blues run 9.5hrs (1:30pm-11pm) and whites run 8 hours (2:30pm-10:30pm). Can anyone comment on any of the below? Right now i just have LPS but would like to add SPS when my tank is ready.

-watts/gal (108w to 40gal)
-height above water (20 in.) - tank is 18 in. tall
-ratio of blue to white (2-1) - someone told me LPS likes more blue?
-run time (9.5hrs blue, 8hrs white)

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to anyone's input

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
what percent do you run them on? i think 20" off the water might be a little to high. depending on percent your running them at. i think you can go with like 12-15" off the water.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I think you are fine. The only way to really know is by watching your corals reaction. If and when you decide to go sps just get something that is cheap and known to be pretty easy and use it as a tester.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I think you are fine. The only way to really know is by watching your corals reaction. If and when you decide to go sps just get something that is cheap and known to be pretty easy and use it as a tester.

dont you think 20" is pretty high up for a 108W led? thats 38" till it hits the bottom the par is deff gone by then cause of the spreading of the light no?

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I opted to sell this and buy the AI Hydra 26. I think my DIY LED build was too strong and without a dimmer was burning my corals, even after lifting it to ~24" off the water.

Anyone recommend what % to start it off on? 40 gal cube - 24x24x18

Also, will be looking to sell my DIY LED build - 12 Cree XPE whites and 24 XPE blues (3 watts each - 108 watts total) - let me know if you're interested!

Last edited:

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Optics on the Hydra or my old build? Hydra comes with 80s I believe, I have Carclo wide frosted on my DIY. I guess I could swap out the drivers but at this point I'd rather go with something tried and true, hydra has full spectrum and is fully customizable. My only concern is that it won't be big enough for my tank. Welcome any feedback.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The Hydra 26 seems enough for general purpose like LPS and low demand SPS. Unless you are heavily into SPS, then you may want to go stronger.

Wrong. The hydra 26 is a very powerful light. I have it on my 45g cube and when I first got it I ran white 50%, blues 80%, violet 20%, uv 20% and red/green at 5%. My magnificent anemone loved those settings but I fried all my SPS. I currently run white 20%, blues 80%, violet 10%, uv, red, green at 5%. My corals and anemone love the current settings and the tank has a nice 20k look to it, also the fixture is 12" above the water line. Hope that helps

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wrong. The hydra 26 is a very powerful light. I have it on my 45g cube and when I first got it I ran white 50%, blues 80%, violet 20%, uv 20% and red/green at 5%. My magnificent anemone loved those settings but I fried all my SPS. I currently run white 20%, blues 80%, violet 10%, uv, red, green at 5%. My corals and anemone love the current settings and the tank has a nice 20k look to it, also the fixture is 12" above the water line. Hope that helps

Is yours 80 degree or 40 degree?
But at 20-24" from the surface base on his setting, I think it will be much lower in intensity.
Anyway, I think since you own it, you should know better.

Last edited:

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Is yours 80 degree or 40 degree?
But at 20-24" from the surface base his setting, I think it will be much lower in intensity.
Anyway, I think since you own it, you should know better.

Not 100% sure, whatever comes factory from AI. And yes I agree if he has his light 2' above the waterline he's gonna lose a lot of PAR with my settings but he could increase the intensity based on how high the light is mounted. Also there's a lot to play with when you pair the light with the AI director and AI cloud.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Hey Wingo, it's basically a web based wireless controller that you can control with smart phone, tablet or pc anywhere in the world. It has tons of set points, local weather and lunar matching etc. To much to type lol but here is a link to more info http://www.aquaillumination.com/control/ if you have any specific questions on any of the functions I'll try my best to answer them :) .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: