sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just bought a new tank off of ebay- ya baby! says it is reef ready. 250g.(see details in signature).

I plan to get a chiller.

Looks like I will need to upgrade the lighting... gosh that isnt cheep. the LFS said since the tank is so tall that the lights will need to be so bright that I may have to ditch the hood :(

I am reading up on how to set up the rocks in the tank. I have been reading this book that is talking about lots of different options.... curing limestone and poored cement, or different types of adhesives. the LFS said I am on my own. Does anyone know if cheep ways to aquire the volume of rock that is needed for a tank this size?

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
you have a larger pic of tank,one thing is to read first and find out about anything about what going to buy first before you buy it ask the ???? first,you will get good advise for it on MR here, good luck with your new tank

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Wow, I was looking at that 250G monster last week, now you say you win it. :D I can't wait to see it running. Get your wallet ready and good luck!

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
O yes,
welcome-1.gif
to MR.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Welcome, I have A 72" Aqualight Pro an sale this month.It has 250w 10k double ended hqi bulbs,Power compacts and moon lights:$1075.00 I`m listed in the vendor forums under Tim`s Aquatics.Good luck with the tank it looks beautiful. Don`t ditch the hood,I don`t know what your local fish store is talking about.Don`t be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of people here willing to help.Tim......

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
23_3_36.gif
to MR.

Aquascaping a tank is totally personal preference. Lots of people have the 'traditional' piles of rock. I've seen islands of rock, walls, arch's, tunnels, valleys, even stonehenge ( froggie ;) ). The best setup is the one you will enjoy looking at everyday.

swimmer

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
landscaping should be done not only to look nice but should be done to have good water circulation. i try to use the least amount of contact area between the rock n the bottom also making it steady.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Sarahandkevin,

You have a lot of options. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to save money but want the traditional rock stack, you can pick up half live rock and half base rock for a lot less money. If you are looking for very specific shape you can make or buy concrete rock. Etc.

E

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome to MR. Looks like a great tank. My first piece of mind is that I think that your LFS is pissed that you didn't buy it from them, that is why he is telling you that you are on your own. People here are extremely helpful, and there are some reefers here who I wish I could apprentice from. Best of luck, and I hope you have a good sense of humor

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Best form of advice is for you to remember to not listen to anything wingo tells you to do.

:iamwithst ^AHahAHahaHahaAHah^

yeah i found the things he told me to be alil ackward but for some reason it works out great for him LMAO

welcome!!!
nice lookin tank is that a 30" high? are u a tall guy?
im 6'3 and i have a very hard time reachin the bottom of mine -=X lol
:tongue1:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
im 6'3 and i have a very hard time reachin the bottom of mine -=X lol

lol

Hi Sarah and Kevin,

My tank is 30" high, and I have to stand on a ladder and stretch, but I can definitely reach the bottom of my tank. I am 5' 6". My boyfriend who is 6' cannot! I think these guys are built like T- Rex with little arms :)

Also, I have t-5 bulbs, 4 white and 4 blue, running the length of my tank. I have a hood, plenty of light, and no problems.

Good Luck!!!

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
WOW! thanks for all the welcome messages! SO nice!

I have been reading this fancy book that talks about flow... yeah ok... so how to do it? I like bridges, tunnels some open breath in the tank- as in not just a wall of rock across the whole tank. I think this tank is big enouph to handle some "shape" to the rock formation.

Looking in the LFS the live rock seems to be round bolders.
The book talks about building steps, so that when you purchase a new creature (sometimes coming on its own little rock) it has a place to be put.

So- landings, small contact between rocks, shapes, bridges... how do you get all these things to not topple over? how do you find rocks shaped other than a bolder? where do you find different kinds of rocks- such a limestone- that come in shapes that could create these shapes? Since my tank is so tall-- How do you guys recommend "glueing" or constructing the shape? Do you guys get into making stilts or feet to get the rocks off the bottom of the tank?

Not worried about the tank being so tall- it will be an excuse to go swimming :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Liverock is often sort of bumpy and gnarly, so if you decided to buy LR you can pick pieces that have natural caves/tunnels in them. If you decide to make LR, you can build the same kind of shapes into the rock that you make. If you're worried about things toppling over, you can get underwater epoxy to glue the rocks into specific formations, or you can use plastic cable ties (they sell them in hardware stores) to ties rocks together. Some of the people on this board have done some really cool things by building PVC pipe frames to lend support to the rock. Personally, I just set mine in the tank and just made sure it was all settled solidly together. However, you tank is MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger than mine! :)

Last edited:

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My recommendation is... get an idea what you want. Get your LR as it fits your design, look for shapes that will mesh with your overall design.
Get plenty of plastic tarps (the painter's type), tape the shape of your tank on the tarp, so you can build a mockup of your design OUTSIDE of your tank, where you have the ability to look at it from different angles, you can move a rock here and there, and start looking into the overall design. And start the build of your LR shapes. Larger bulkier LR at the bottom as base. Etc
For a large tank like yours, you might need to get some hardware supplies
Underwater/marine epoxy. A dremel tool for fine cutting, A drill where you can make holes in your rock for attachments. The day when you have all the LR ready, you could rent a tile saw (with diamond blade) so you can make straight cuts (they don't happen in nature too much, lol). Look in some of the tank threads, you can see some great ideas.
Remember if you have such a large tank, you will need large amounts of LR, you don't want 75 to 150 lbs of rock just tumbling against your tank wall. Some Reefers here use 1/2 pvc pipe or 1/2 acrylic rods for support and structural stability.
A lot of guys here have tools that they can lend, and I am sure some wouldn't mind coming to help, as long as there is beer around, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: