techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a great lookin' clam! I can't wait to get my last mantis and gorilla out of my tank and move ahead w/ a clam in my tank. but I also hear that clams shouldn't go into tanks that are less than 1 year old. is that true? i'm at 4 months now.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
To my suprise...the coral growing on the clam is alive!
There has been polyp extension all day......

itsAlive.JPG

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the maxima just does not do as well as the others in the home tank. i guess the slight changes in water parms, in mixed reef tanks there are water warfares going on, they get stressed more then other clams. just a combo of things that go on that maximas do not like giving them a very high mortalty rate, much more then the other clams listed.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Figures.....Everytime I get something I find out it's supposed to be the hardest thing to take care of!
Good thing I'm a stickler for keeping my tank clean, testing alk, cal, & mag every day... And making sure everything as a whole remains stable!
Either that or just plain 'ole dumb luck ;^)

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know the ranking of clam "toughness". Thanks. I was primarily looking at the crocea's due to their lack of size. I don't really want anything that grows past 6" end-to-end. My 90G tank has 180lbs of LR in it, so there's not a ton of sand bed available. This thread was the first time that I learned that clams can prefer rock ledges to the sand bed. I've got lots o' rock! :)

I haven't heard of the hippopus clam. Are their colorings as vivid as the other clams?

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech, the hippopus clam have no color they are very dull. but thet are great for eating nitrates in your tank. i keep 1 in my 30 gal. and 2 in my 90 ga. and never have a problem with nitrates.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: