Rating - 100%
194   0   0
The other coral colony is actually a Pachyseris rugosa! :shhh:

doh.gif

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think if you place it on the rock with the hole it will not sit stright up like you would want it to, i think the flat rock is better. as far as feeding clams i don't feed if they are 2.5 to 3 in. myself. and the only worms that i know of that eat clams are bristle worms but will onleat them if the clam is on its way out.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I put it in the display sitting on the flat rock- but it kept rolling off.
I changed it back for the one with the hole in it, and it hasn't budged since?
It's still on the bottom on the sand, in the same place- guess it told me which one was better? Should I try and make it like a differant flat rock instead?
How long should it take to attach itself? Then I move it up to it's perm spot.
Heres a bad pic with flash and no MH ,of clam right after
rock change
settling.jpg

and here's one from the back ,of the Pachy resting after the long journy
it's almost 6 inches across!
pachy.jpg

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
That pachy was your freebie? Sweet score :thumbsup:
I wish!!!! that Pachy was costly!
The Freebies I got what looks like a 2.5 x 3" reddish acan and a 2.5" acro of some kind with 7 branchs...I have no clue???
Last time they sent me a 3.5" yellow acro with blue tip and green polyps?
Free is always nice but no one's gonna give away a nearly 6" cube of Pachy ;^)

Last edited:

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok you should stop messing with him no more stress. sometimes they will attach in just a few hours. if you had put the flat rock under the sand he would have attached to it with out rolling off. now i would just keep him there for a few days before you move him up at all. he looks good now so lets keep him like that. KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF HIM.....lol

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wingo this is how clams grow in the wild, they let out an acid thru the byssal gland that helps them dig into the rocks. so i don't think that putting them in the sand would be best for them. they just love to dig into rocks as you can see.

Attachments

• DSC02348.jpg
    DSC02348.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 168

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be your putting clams in the sand is the best way of keeping clams
this is what i was trying to quote wingo on, just trying to learn how to use the quote button

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I love the pics of the clams in the rocks, but your avitar shows all of them in the sand. How long does it take them to use this acid to dig in the rocks? Very cool info.

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea but all of my clams are attached to flat rocks or i use half's of clams shells they fit in the shell's nice.you can not see them in my pics because they are covered with gravel i don't have sand in my tanks. it takes a very long time for clams to dig into the rocks like in the pics.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wingo this is how clams grow in the wild, they let out an acid thru the byssal gland that helps them dig into the rocks. so i don't think that putting them in the sand would be best for them. they just love to dig into rocks as you can see.

I know that's the way giant clams like to live in the wild, thanks for reminding though. I did not think putting clams in the sand is a good idea either. I was saying "May be your(NOT YOU CLAMCRAZY-I mean louismustdie) putting clams in the sand is the best way to keep clams" to indicate if he thinks putting clams in the sand is proper, he should prove it too because I know a lot of clam keepers don't like clams in the sand.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I was saying "May be your(NOT YOU CLAMCRAZY-I mean louismustdie) putting clams in the sand is the best way to keep clams" to indicate if he thinks putting clams in the sand is proper, he should prove it too because I know a lot of clam keepers don't like clams in the sand.
... I really gotta quit drinking. What the hell does this mean? wingo, get over it. Due to his lighting, he won't be keeping them in the sand. I'm almost positive in my first post that my advice for him is to keep them at mid-level... on his rock work.
Jeez, do you cry this much when people post threads about their clams falling off of the rockwork?
He asked why he's heard not to keep them in the sand, I told him why and that I feel it is an over rated problem, since I know many who keep clams in the sand and have never seen any of them eaten by anything in the sand. Not to mention the others who replied who also don't feel it is much of a problem. BTW, overrated doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Wingo, if you have a problem, PM me. Your stupid little pot shots here on this thread aren't helpful to the question at hand. Not to mention I have no idea where you got that last comment from. Read the thread. You're making an ass of yourself.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
... I really gotta quit drinking. What the hell does this mean? wingo, get over it. Due to his lighting, he won't be keeping them in the sand. I'm almost positive in my first post that my advice for him is to keep them at mid-level... on his rock work.
Jeez, do you cry this much when people post threads about their clams falling off of the rockwork?
He asked why he's heard not to keep them in the sand, I told him why and that I feel it is an over rated problem, since I know many who keep clams in the sand and have never seen any of them eaten by anything in the sand. Not to mention the others who replied who also don't feel it is much of a problem. BTW, overrated doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Wingo, if you have a problem, PM me. Your stupid little pot shots here on this thread aren't helpful to the question at hand. Not to mention I have no idea where you got that last comment from. Read the thread. You're making an ass of yourself.

OK I PM you aboutu these.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Now kids...play nice :hug:

During the night my clam turned 1/2 way round on the rock and attached herself, (no I have not put my hands in the tank- I'm leaving her alone)!
After 24 hours She looks really happy- mantle nicely extended and not open too wide (gapeing).
When the PB Tang swims overhead casting down a shadow, she quicky
snaps closed and then opens back up just as fast!

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the clam is doing just fine, lets see a pic of it. lets just keep the focus on and help scumonkey's new clam. if you guy's want to get down and dirty lets start a new thread and get it on :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: