scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm getting a 3.5 in T. Maxima in the morning's fed ex delivery!

tm.jpg

I need ALL the HELP and ADIVCE I can get to keep this clam happy and healthy!
I have 2 -250w 10K mh with 2 -90w VHO super actinics up top
I have DT's Phyto in the fridge. My tank is very deep- 30 inches and the lights are 8 inches above the water.
Where would be the best depth to keep her at? I've also read that Maximas have to be placed on the rockwork- is this true?
water params:Ammo-0,trite-0,trate-0,Ph-8.4,Alk-12.3dKH,Cal-450,Mag-1315,Phos-0

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
With a 30 inch deep tank, you should have gone with 400w. It is advised to keep them out of the sand to keep certain worms from getting inside and eating them... another problem I feel is overrated. Mine are in the sand, never had a problem.
I'd say, put him on one of those coral disks... wait until his foot attaches to it. It will stick to the disk and you can glue the disk in some bright light (for you I'd say a minimum of mid-level or higher) and in good flow.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
It is advised to keep them out of the sand to keep certain worms from getting inside and eating them... another problem I feel is overrated.

I have seen couple clams (seems likely) died of something eating them from the foot up. Cannot tell what's there eating the clam, but I can see the foot rot first while the mantle fully extended and the color is still very bright. Unlike some other incidence that dying clam kind of melt away quickly, in these cases the outer tissues stay intact while the center slowly disappear.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have seen couple clams (seems likely) died of something eating them from the foot up. Cannot tell what's there eating the clam, but I can see the foot rot first while the mantle fully extended and the color is still very bright. Unlike some other incidence that dying clam kind of melt away quickly, in these cases the outer tissues stay intact while the center slowly disappear.
Any proof of worms? No... nice sharpshooting, but please don't quote me with speculation. Maybe inexperience led to the decline?

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you got him from reefer madness right ? how bad did they bang you for that clam and was shipping included in the cost of the clam ? as far as you lighting goes 175W to 250W MH is good for tanks up to 30 in. deep so just keep that guy around the middle of the tank and you are fine, you really do not have to feed phytos to a clam that big,and your water looks to be in good shape. as far as what wingo is talking about you see that in clams that are not collected properly. if you tear the bysall gland off a rock good chance the clam will die. good luck with your new clam its very nice. let me know how he is doing. rember if he gets by the first 48 hours he should be fine.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
so you got him from reefer madness right ? how bad did they bang you for that clam and was shipping included in the cost of the clam ?
Yea just couldn't resist :wink1:
They are having a gnormous sale right now (but most all the good stuff is already gone),So it wasn't that bad...3.5" and only $77.00-shipping included! :splitspin They are also including two free acro frags with each purchase(I've got 4 now)!
So I'm a gonna put her up on a flat rock shelf that is 11" from the top.
Should I put some rubble rock around her base to help keep her in place?

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they did not kill you in the price, you did good :) just go slow and put it on the bottom first for a few days then move it up a little at a time till you get it where you want him. while it's on the bottom you could find a smaller flat rock and place it under the sand a little then put the clam on top so he could grab on to it. it will make it easy for you to move him around when you want. just do not cause him any stress after you put him in the tank.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Any proof of worms? No... nice sharpshooting, but please don't quote me with speculation. Maybe inexperience led to the decline?

Maybe not also. Any proof of inexperience?

Sorry for challenging your statement about "overrated". Just want to tell other hobbyist what I have seen in other reefers' tanks. True that I speculate that something is eating them and thus I never state nor conclude that it's definately worms(in fact, I think they are pods in my heart) in my statements. It's better safe than sorry. I rather hope the speculation is correct than someone loosing one more clam just in case the speculation is correct. May be your putting clams in the sand is the best way of keeping clams(not until you can prove it), but I would follow what clamcrazy suggest and move it up(even though it could be for lighting reason) since I have seen others loosing clams when they are in the sand. May be I am just blindly superstitious , but my suggestion(not good enough like others to give advise) is still better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
If so, why would the problem show up so long after they have been in the tank? They have been in the tanks for couple years before these problem recently start.
The amount of time and the wide open mantle, yet it was dying out from the inside would indicate starvation. It's mantle is wide open trying to make up (photosynthetically)for what it's not getting through nutrition. Scallops die the same way in our tanks. Slow starvation.
Why would size matter when it comes to feeding? I saw several of you posted this and I'm just wondering. Aquacultured clams are fed very heavily through early stages. At the same time, I've seen guys with clams bigger than my head who either feed passively or not at all. What sizes would you consider need or don't need to be fed? I've never aggressively fed either one of my clams.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
The amount of time and the wide open mantle, yet it was dying out from the inside would indicate starvation. It's mantle is wide open trying to make up (photosynthetically)for what it's not getting through nutrition. Scallops die the same way in our tanks. Slow starvation..
I see.

Why would size matter when it comes to feeding? I saw several of you posted this and I'm just wondering. Aquacultured clams are fed very heavily through early stages. At the same time, I've seen guys with clams bigger than my head who either feed passively or not at all. What sizes would you consider need or don't need to be fed? I've never aggressively fed either one of my clams.

I think after 4" they are pretty save not to feed too frequently. Many people who have kept clams told me smaller size but as I say I rather safe than sorry, so I opted 4". IF they are in my tank, I would feed my animals as long as I see them eating(some kind of response that look like eating) it.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
not all clams species have the same requirements. some require a bit more light than others. but generally many say that if they are over 3" they do not need phyto because they are already photosynthetic.

i have a 2.5" maxima from HOF and never feed it phyto and it's under t5s currently but that will change this weekend(new 175w mh). the clam is doing very well. i must state that i do dose two part and feed the tank GB mysis which has many fine particles/liquid that i think do them well.

that rock seems to snuggle the clam. it should do just fine.

i think what Deanos means is let's see a pic of the A[SIZE=-1]ustralogyra Zelli!! LOL[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: