What tank?

• Total voters

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thats not the proposed dresser. you can see the height of it in the pic of the garbage can :) i think it is just the right height. i will be able to reach the top of it without a problem. AND YES, THIS DOES MEAN I AM DECIDING ON CHOOSING THE AQUAPOD. THANK YOU EVERYBODY WITH YOUR DECISIONS AND I WILL POST QUESTIONS ON ACCESSORIES SOON!
:fish::idea: :goldfish2

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yes i took into perspective that a 65 gallon would be the perfect beginner tank but given my situations i needed (and preferred) the aquapod. so when making a decision like this really think about how each choice will effect YOU.
:Thinking:

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
wellllll, i would like to re-open this thread again. april has arrived and still no tank :(
for not being able to go the swap today i have bought myself The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. it really is the bible for the new marine aquarist. however the author keeps stressing that beginners should not start with a nano-sized tank. This is scaring me ALOT! what do you guys think should i take the writer's advice or just take the risk. i have seen many people become successful with 12 gallons such as a college student on SWF.com
if she can do it can i too?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Emily, why not go with something between the two. I've started with a 29g tank and I find that my water is FAIRLY stable. I think most books say that is the minimum size you should start with. Mine has been quite the good little tank for me. Or, I think Tony is selling a very nice looking 40g cube tank - also a slightly smaller, more manageable size than a 65, but with better stability.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Emily, ElleBelle is selling a good part of her old set up for something like $60. Glad to see you back and that you haven't given up on having a tank :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
now you get the book? well you can still catch the rest of our book club chapters on it ;) and fwiw take some of fenner's advice with some grains of salt.

I'll agree having a tank larger than 12 gallons will be more fun, and a bit easier to take care of. plus you'll have more space for corals. it's amazing how fast you can fill up even a large tank.
too bad you missed the swap, you can look at the pictures at least :)

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Emily, you can use the forum jump to get to the book club threads. You should read what people have had to say about each of the chapters that have been covered so far. There are some things that Fenner is saying that apply less to reef tanks than fish tanks. The threads can give you some insight.

Also, now that I know you have the book, you will have to start one of the chapter threads so get reading!!! :smile:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I probably shouldn't say this but I think it needs to be said. Emily after all of your research here and other sites and reading of books and such you need to ask yourself the following question then act on it:

What is the biggest sized tank that I can properly care for?

This means expense, water changes, etc.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah youre right. i would be able to handle a larger tank like a 29 gal or a 34 but as long as theyre nanos i dont think im ready for the sump (drilling and pipes) and all until after college. and pretty much sumps are necessary right?
maybe a reef-ready? i dont know the possibilities are endless. the pricing of the fish and corals doesnt matter as i will get those over time but the total of the tank, equipment and needed items such as chemicals of all sorts i am hoping would come to a total of under 1000 dollars. i no its a very low budget but i think it might be do-able.(if everyody pitches in ;) jk)
what do u think?

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
well that takes care of expense
now water changes i have the ability to do a 20 gallon water change max in my room but i dont think that large of a tanke is needed.
it would to be nice to have mroe fish than what can fit into a nano and i can have species not suitable for a nano. this is a very tough decision the pros and cons of each size balance out with each other

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Emily, here is my cost breakdown of the set up on my 29g:

29g Tank (not reef ready): $50.00 (ish, I think) - Petco
10g tank (for sump): $12.00 - Petco
AquaC EV 120 skimmer and Eheim 1250 return pump - $200 - MR
PC ballast, endcaps, reflectors, and 2 used actinic bulbs - $30 - MR
New PC 10K bulb - $55 - NWA
Timer/powerstrip- $30 - Petco
2 powerheads, crushed coral (don't recommend), B-ionic 2 part and nets - FREE - Craiglist
30 lbs LR - $90 - MR
flake and pellet food - $10 - MR
RO/DI - $100 - ebay
PVC fittings/Tubing/RO hookup - $60 - home depot
Wood, nails, braces, and other tools - $100 - lumberyard
test kits (ammonia and pH) - FREE - frag swap
Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium and Alkalinity test kits - $60 - various LFS
Salt bucket - $25 - petco

I think those were most of my startup costs.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
its sounds like alot of work for a school gal. hmmm maybe a summer project????
i need to buy a book like 'building a reef from scratch' or 'dont put that there! for dummies"

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The Conscientous Marine Aquarist should fit that bill. :)

I should add that when I first started, I looked at a lot of nanocubes and other "all in one" solutions. In the end, I decided to do it myself and I think it's turned out much nicer. I've heard that the nanocubes often need a lot of new equipment and retrofitting in order to make them function for a really nice reef.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Also, I was reading through the rest of these posts and I came across this one that SHOCKED me:

What about getting MOM into the hobby? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM? I wasn't aware that reefkeeping was a hobby only for boys. :tongue:

you must go back and read the posts again. As I recall E.T had mentioned her dad used to have a fresh water tank. It seemed like a good plan to me.
Then again everyone knows the moms are in charge of the budgets so maybe getting her into the hobby is a good idea afterall.
is that better :scratchch :rolleyes:

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah well the whole family 'had' the tank but my dad mostly took care of it by doing 100% water changes and quarantining the fish in cold water. i didnt really mention my mom that much but she was the one who acclimated the fish via bag floating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: