What tank?

• Total voters

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
:tongueani Hi! Due to popular demand, I, Emily, have taken all of my questions off reef graffiti and onto a new thread. My first question to consider is what tank should I purchase. What I would really desire as my first tank is either an aquapod or a nano cube 24 gallon. I have heard that these tanks are harder to keep because of the small water volume capacity, and diseases and defects spread alot faster. In this case, my second choice is a 65 gallon with hood (
chococat_h4h.gif
) and a 20-30 gallon sump. So now, if you would please point me in the direction of the perfect beginners reef!
celb (8).gif

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Emily,

If you pick the larger of the three (and have room for them) it would be best to get a 65 reef ready with a sump - you'll not regret it.

Although this thread is designed to show how MR has been helpful to me as a resource, I thought it would be good as a start to show how many mistakes (and easy ones too) can be made. Please don't do what I did unless you are going to do the 3rd or 4th picture system (that would be the 65 you are referring to in parallel).

So many more options with the 65.

There are, however, really good system out there which are 24g aquapods - not a bad start if you're limited with space and recources ($$$).

Hope this helps,

House

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
tank

well i started almost the same as jim with a 29g, but a little more on equipment. close to the same look of his after he done some mods to his. now 4 months later i got the itch and moving to a larger tank. not quit a 210 lol only 44g but it give's me the base space i wanted and room to do more. i started with a set-up that i couldnt have bought the rock for the amount i paid for a complete set-up.{ thank goodness} cause i would have made some of the same mistake's. so fortunately i have been able to build and buy everything for my final tank in the mean time and get the hang of reef keeping in the process. my only suggestion would be to buy once and once only, get the right stuff from the start. maybe go see some of the people's tank's and get a idea of what you want. alot of different set-up's and style's. ask alot of questions and compile info before you decide to buy. think of what you realistically can spend and the size of area you have

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok here's some more info about me- im 14 so I'll be going to college in about 4 years and I dont know if ill bring the tank with me. I will be getting the tank in the spring/summer so don't get mad at me when i choose something bad because i most likely havent bought it yeat and have plenty of time to change my mind. I am almost always on RG so if you wanna chat about this be my guest! My bedroom has just enough space to comfortably fit a nano, but if i get the 65, i will have to get rid of a dresser. (enough space for a corner tank too) i can post pics of my room regarding thespace situation if you'd like. i might upgrade after college but you never know! im already addicted and i dont have a tank. My parents are shooting for me getting the easiest out of the two to maintain. Although I will be doing all of the maintanence, they have had a bad experience with freshwater fish. Of course, we are looking for the setup with the lowest chances of fish dying in the hands of a beginner. Right now i am just looking for a tank and then the lighting, heater, sump etc. questions will come later. Thanks for the help! please don't kill this thread! I need answers!:thanks:

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Emily,

I started with a 10g a few years ago and it was a complete disaster. A few years later I started a 65g and now I have a 120g with 40g sump. I love it. Eventually when I move out of my apartment I definately go much bigger 600-1000g.
JP

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ming- my budget is not that limited as i am getting part of the tank as a confirmation present. I also do photography and babysit frequently giving me a balance of over $450 in my personal savings account already. My dad agrees that i have limited budget for the tank so he said he will be my 'manager.' we are hoping to sell my photographs in local galleries and on e bay. So i dont think money is going to be a problem here... my parents are great with giving me loans!:lol2: I wont get the cheap equipment either. later ill ask you guys about equipment suggestions.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi Emily,

There is a thread around here somewhere where each person tells what they spent getting their tank set up. That might be a good tool for deciding what fits within your budget.

It is much easier to keep a larger tank stable, but if you have the time to watch and test your tank everyday nanos are good too. Try pm'ing Rori. She has a nano that is doing quite well. Maybe she can give you some advice about how difficult it is to maintain.

Good Luck!

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would just like to point that a 14 year old has common sense to start one thread for all her questions. Kudos!!:eek:rangehat

Now about the tank...

If you have room, I would go with a tank that has a 48" length. There are 65s out there that measure 48Lx18Wx16H. The reason I make this suggestions is because the 48" tank will leave you wiggle room if you decide to upgrade in the future. This way you won't have to buy lighting twice; 36" once and then a 48". You would be able to use the 48" light on tanks up to 120.

Just a thought,
Steven

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey emily

Glad to see that you are ready for a tank ,not many 14yr olds would think of starting a reeftank ,kudus

I want to give you list of things that you would need for your tank ,this will give you an idea on what you are going to spend.I would like to see you with a successful tank and knowing what you will need is half the battle

tank--for the 65 gal --add the cost of the tank
live rock --about 1lbs per gal of tank water ;IE 65 gal tank 65=lbs ,you can probably get way with 50lbs .---around $175 a box
lighiting --if youre doing reef ,t5s will do for beginners -good one around $250 (complete fixture with bulbs)
return pump --mag drive 7 or 9 will do around $60
skimmer -----i would say a good one runs around $250 and up
RO/DI unit (filters out your tap water to make it good for your reef)
sand ----say $30 to $40
heater
sump
and chiller --you may get away with fans if your place doesnt get to hot in the summer or you have the AC on all the time ---a chiller NEW is around $300 and up

I not trying to push you out of the hobby ,i just want you to get the feel of what you could or will be spending ,Note this doesnt include live stock (fish ,coral ,inverts and other stuff you might need)

the hobby does get pricey ,but worth every penny :)

Ronen

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Will your parents take over the tank when you get tire of it? or when you don't have time to do water changes because you met a boy?

I say go small and cheap, let your parents off easy if this ends up to be a "phase". A nano can be very nice to work with if budget and space are limited. You should check out some of the tank on Nano-reef.com, they can be very amazing and better looking than most the "bigger" tanks on this site.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Emily, listening to what you have said so far I'm going to recommend the 24g AquaPod. You'll have to get the one with the fluorescent lighting so the cats don't get in. Let's price out the aquapod like deepwater did for the 65. I'll use the prices on drsfostersmith.com.
aquapod 24g 170.00
instant ocean salt 50g 11.00
refractometer(measures SG) 45.00
seachem marine test kit 25.00 (you will need more kits later)
ebo jager heater 100W 18.00
powerhead for flow 20.00 (not sure which one)
live rock price varies but figure about 50.00
sand 30.00
RO/DI filter 120.00 (on ebay)
digital thermometer 8.00

those are the basics, there will be other stuff to get, most important will be some good books, those can be put into your educational budget ;)

chances are good that you will not want to move the tank with you to college, so don't worry about that for now. as cali_reef said there are some great nano tanks out there. I'm sure there are plenty of modifications you can do to the aquapod as you gain experience.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yes cali does have a point, what would my parents prefer to take care of when i go off to college? Well they would definately prefer a nano. They might kill it off, but they would definately prefer it. If i can get my dad into the hobby and out of his grudge of the freshwater fish then i can definately have him do the 65 when in college. my parents think it is one of my 'phases' yet i took a marine biology course at camp last summer. sure collecting coins might be a 'phase' but i would never just quit on the lives of animals just because they bore me. I just got photoshop today(from a friend so free) and i am thinking it will be a great investment for my photography. here are some photos of my room to show you guys my space situation. any suggestions for where to place the 65? i know where id put the 24 gallon.

Heres a pic of my room from the door(not much wall space. might have to sell a dresser and move stuff around a bit).
224059683.jpg

The reserved spot for the aquapod (if getting one)
224055012.jpg

corner tank?
224055110.jpg

oh yeah sorry the room'a a mess and sorry the pics are low-quality (snapped them quickly)

ditch the chaise and put tank here?
224055232.jpg

wow. messy desk. im serious my room is usually cleaner
another place for a tank?? i could move the desk to the adjascent wall like i used to have it.
224055216.jpg

and finally.... the pic youve all been waiting for..... drumroll please......
Me!

oh sry photosite is being messed up will edit like now! haha more anticipation!

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
damn you call that a dirty room??? mine is so much worest than that!!:lol2:

how about you move the dresser on the left of the garbage can to where the mirror is, move the mirror somewhere and put the tank where the dresser used to be?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: