New 75 gallon start up - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  New 75 gallon start up
Reply
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
New 75 gallon start up
08-29-2017, 05:10 AM
  #1  
Hey fellow reef people I started a 75gallon reef tank this week! So far I used tap water have a rodi unit on its way I used prime to dechlorinate the water let it cycle for a full 2 days with salt then added live sand my live rock and rodi unit will be here later this week and I'll only use rodi water from here on out! My question is how long should i wait to let it cycle? Should i phantom feed? And most of all do you think ill be ok with the choices I've made thus far? Thanks for reading and all input will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
cmantis's Avatar
cmantis is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,556
08-29-2017, 05:41 AM
  #2  
I would suggest starting with RODI water. Then adding a bacteria such as Dr Tims or FritZyme9 to help get it going. The water hasn't cycled yet and you are better off doing it right.
__________________
Turns out the misses wasn't reef safe!!!
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-29-2017, 05:43 AM
  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmantis View Post
I would suggest starting with RODI water. Then adding a bacteria such as Dr Tims or FritZyme9 to help get it going. The water hasn't cycled yet and you are better off doing it right.
I'm in nyc average tds is between 20 and 35ppm guy at the lfs said i should be fine to start this way but to only use rodi water from here on out

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
jck16's Avatar
jck16 is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 165
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
  #4  
Hi CJRIZZOTTI and congrats on starting. Just my 2 cents:

If you ordered a RODI unit, you should have waited to start filling your tank when it arrives. The types of nasties in NYC tap water (e.g. copper, lead) may be present in reefs, but in your closed microscopic 75 gallon system they're concentrated far more than in the ocean.

So I believe you're already starting your tiny slice of the reef off at a disadvantage, and if I were you I'd do a 75-100% water change with RODI water + salt once the unit arrives then start the nitrogen cycle with any source of ammonia ( a piece of raw shrimp is usually enough) and optionally a source of bacteria (I usually use cured live rock) and once you detect nitrates do another 50-75% water change. A bit drastic? Maybe, but imo a good way to learn too there are no shortcuts in this hobby

Good luck and welcome.
 
theMeat is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,530
08-29-2017, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Using tap water to start the cycle is not a bad thing since the nutrients will only help start the cycle.

You have to watch the spikes to see when the cycle is complete. Watch this vid
https://youtu.be/AKu-8UWKf40

Adding a quick cycle like Dr Tim's can certainly speed the process

Yes, you should phantom feed, just don't overdo it. And leave the lights and skimmer off till cycle is complete

Welcome to the site

Last edited by theMeat; 08-29-2017 at 10:58 AM.
 
NYCKeith is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
08-29-2017, 11:03 AM
  #6  
welcome....as someone who is also new (March 2017) and trusted the lfs for setting up my tank and all the advise they gave me. Listen to the folks on here. Not sure what store you used but I have been steered wrong multiple times by Manhattan Aquariums to the extent of had to completely start over. I have had great luck since starting over and essentially listening to folks on here or people I meet. I dont have an ROI but use boxed water. I have had great results with this.
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-29-2017, 02:03 PM
  #7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRIZZOTTI View Post
Hey fellow reef people I started a 75gallon reef tank this week! So far I used tap water have a rodi unit on its way I used prime to dechlorinate the water let it cycle for a full 2 days with salt then added live sand my live rock and rodi unit will be here later this week and I'll only use rodi water from here on out! My question is how long should i wait to let it cycle? Should i phantom feed? And most of all do you think ill be ok with the choices I've made thus far? Thanks for reading and all input will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys for the input I'll wait for my rodi unit and do it right

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-29-2017, 02:21 PM
  #8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck16 View Post
Hi CJRIZZOTTI and congrats on starting. Just my 2 cents:

If you ordered a RODI unit, you should have waited to start filling your tank when it arrives. The types of nasties in NYC tap water (e.g. copper, lead) may be present in reefs, but in your closed microscopic 75 gallon system they're concentrated far more than in the ocean.

So I believe you're already starting your tiny slice of the reef off at a disadvantage, and if I were you I'd do a 75-100% water change with RODI water + salt once the unit arrives then start the nitrogen cycle with any source of ammonia ( a piece of raw shrimp is usually enough) and optionally a source of bacteria (I usually use cured live rock) and once you detect nitrates do another 50-75% water change. A bit drastic? Maybe, but imo a good way to learn too there are no shortcuts in this hobby

Good luck and welcome.
Should i just drain the water and leave the live sand in or restart all together?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
brooklynreefers is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 840
08-29-2017, 02:44 PM
  #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRIZZOTTI View Post
Should i just drain the water and leave the live sand in or restart all together?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
yup just drain the tank and restart, no need starting the tank with elevated phos.
you might get crazy hair algae during your cycling process.
just start with RODI, might take a few extra days but its worth the wait
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-29-2017, 02:46 PM
  #10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreefers View Post
yup just drain the tank and restart, no need starting the tank with elevated phos.
you might get crazy hair algae during your cycling process.
just start with RODI, might take a few extra days but its worth the wait
But leave my sand alone and just swap the water

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes