ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I've had my fair share of overflow boxes and would recommend against them.
They work by a siphon which some people have had success with, but I've had it running successful for a year, and I've also had it overflow on me twice in a year before.

Most tanks only have a tempered bottom and can be drilled on the sides. once its drilled, its pretty much set

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
She passed on the tank. She was given solid advice by the person selling the tank and decided basically to pass on it cause it needs an external overflow.
Kinda ironic that the guy who your listening to has an external overflow on his own tank. FWIW my friend has 20 years experience in the hobby and builds systems for his customers........

The search continues!!

LaurenBabe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey im sorry i passed on such an awesome deal... i am new to the hobby and I want to make sure if I am investing my time and money into something that I can avoide all the problems before they start ... i know that overflow boxes can cause leaks, water damage etc. my friends beautiful wood floor was destroyed when he went on a business trip for 4 day and no one was around to siphone the tank

i specifically wanted a reef ready tank or one that could be drilled. thank you soo much for finding me such an awesome deal but i did not know before going there that the glass was tempered

honestly overflow boxes do leak i am being pactent if i see something that i know will cause me problems i am not going to invest in it.

i called my friend who knows alot about reef tanks and asked him advice... i have seen his two tanks and know there is no over flow on them i saw them just last week when he was showing me his setup. i do not know where the picture with the overflow box was found nor do I care I also am upset because I do not want to be presured into buying something I do not want. I AM NOT BUYING A CAR or A HOUSE, a TANING PACKAGE or JEWLERY... but why for some odd reason do I feel like everyone is trying to hustle me! I just want to enjoy and be successful with the hobby... if I dont feel like something is right for me please understand that. I thank you all for your advice. and for helping me find a tank
lauren

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Lauren its your choice and your money. I thought it was a good deal and it wasnt the tank for you. No big deal. Im sorry if i sounded harsh or pissed off but im not. You can ask 20 people there opinions and youll get 20 different answers. Bottom line is you buy what you want to buy. :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Lauren, I would suggest maybe walking into a larger pet store and just looking at some of the different tank sizes. You'll eventually find one you really, really like, then you can go about finding a good deal on it. Ultimately, it matters what YOU want, not what anyone else wants.

LaurenBabe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want a 90 but i will get a 55 or 75 if i can find one with a good deal i want it to be rr or be able to drill it

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Go with something that is at least 18 inches wide. It's much easier to aquascape. In a 12 inch tank you can only have one setup, a wall of rocks. With 18 inches you can get creative, 24 is even better.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I know how you feel. When I was shopping around for my first tank my head was spinning from all the MANY MANY options that were out there. 55 or 75.. 125 or 180?? RR or not?? Metal stand or wood stand?? I was so frekin confused but then one day I saw a post for a stand on Reef Central and got an awesome deal on a stand. Paired it with my current tank and you know what.... When ever I walk through the door I smile and feel right at home. Its what you want and what will make you happy. Remember that its the piece of the ocean that you are going to create.

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks! I don't know if I can get an award for it but I love coming home to my tank. I know a lot of other people here feel the same way. That is why it is something that you will be happy with but at the same time learn from the good people on this board.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: