LaurenBabe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say hello new friends!!! I am new on here
and I am dying learn everything I can to successfully set up a tank!!

any info is appreicated as well as info were to get fish supplies in the NY area

I was going to fish town in queens but the women there was nasty to me any advice??

Hey... i have never had a reef tank and my friend had one and I am looking to set one up.. I am totally clueless but I do have a bio degree so it shouldn't be that hard! if anyone has any suggestions or tips please write me back or

also I want to know where to get frags?
in the finical department I am not doing so well and all the fish stores I go to are extremly over priced

what do you think??

lauren

Last edited by a moderator:

LaurenBabe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to find out about coral

Hey!!! Im starting my first reef tank!! i am soo excited I want to buy coral already but I dont want one that will dye or cause problems do you have any advice??
please respond
and feel free to add me as a friend on myspace
www.myspace.com/laurenbabe

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Lauren,

there's a lot you need to do first before you get coral, read! :)

also stay away from fish town, bad advice and poor livestock.

LaurenBabe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks devious yea the women there was mean to me so i yelled at her and im embarresed to go back lol are there good fish stores theres one in li aqurium but its twice the price as fish town even though i think fish town is expensive too

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Stay away from fishtown =0)

Even though you get a tank doesn't mean you can start adding a buncha stuff. Do a forum search on tank cycling or just browse the web. should give ya a buncha info. And also you will need a bunch of things besides the tank to get started.

How are you filtering, what will you be dosing the tank with, whats your lighting plans, what type of coral you planning on keeping, flow...... the list goes on.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
It can be an expensive hobby, that's one reason to do the research so you don't spend money replacing dead livestock.
We have some great vendors on this site that provide us with quality livestock at good pricing. As you look through the site you'll learn what you want to keep and what your going to need as far as equipment.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would pickup a good book, and read as much as you can on this and other reef sites. First, search your questions because someone else probably asked it already, and if you dont have any luck searching, ask and I'm sure someone will help you. After you're done reading, ask one more time before purchasing to get people's opinion before buying something you might regret and maybe you'll be all ready for a summer or fall frag swap to buy corals from other MR members at a frag swap

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
also I want to know where to get frags?
in the finical department I am not doing so well and all the fish stores I go to are extremly over priced

what do you think??

The LFS price may or may not be over priced but you can always beat the system by coming to this forum because most members gathered here are not for the money. We got a Freebie section, most members sell their frags at below cost wishing to just share the stuff, experience, fun and so forth. We also have a tendency here to give ourselves an excuse to check others' tanks when we trade frags. See frags do not have to cost money. Macroaglae cheatos are sold at most LFS but all FREE here. However, this hobby could be expensive when you did not get the right stuff at the beginning ending up replacing the equipment and/or sadly live stock. So learning, planning and research are important issues for both your pocket and the sake of the live stock.

BTW you got two threads going on for same purpose I believe, can you ask a mod to merge them together?

Oh I am the most famous freebie dibber in this forum. HAHAHAH

Last edited:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is like my BIBLE. It was the first book I read before I got into this hobby and I always find myself going back to it to look things up. I recommend it anyone who has questions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: