aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody my name is Ted and first I would like to say Thank You to Dominick and Anthony for selling me their Tank and RO/DI Set up. Great guys to deal with.

After many weeks of ... learning and finally ordering stuff here is what I have up and running so far (For about a week it's been sitting).

I have a few questions. I have about 3 pieces of Cured Live rock in there from a fellow reefer. I am wondering is there any place where I can buy bacteria to repopulate the dead rock (Thanks Dom for those btw) or do I have to sit and wait patiently? I will be putting in some inverts in the next 2 weeks or so.

n16404339_32466706_7157.jpg

Specific Gravity is at about 1.024 :). Sorry about the Air Bubbles I just re-scaped it today.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
let the tank run for atleast a month before adding anything including clean up crew, if the rock was dead then it will need to cycle, trust me ptients is one of the keys to success in this hobby and welcome to MR

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Quick question.

Will a Hammer and a Frogspawn work in my 14 gallon. I know they extend their heads out about 6 inches at night and may sting, but what is your input on this guys?

Also, how do I know that the bacteria is repopulating the dead rock? I know Coralline Algae doesn't start showing up for like 4 months, so how can I tell?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Your not reading enough. Yes you can pick up the pace by getting someone elses used filter pad (hopefully he does not have ick in the tank), get a cycled piece of live rock from someones tank. But in any case you need patience since it takes time for a tank to mature. Just having bacteria is not the solution. When you add anything that produces ammonia to the tank your bacteria population has to grow quickly enough to get rid of it and the more mature the tank the better it can handle new loads. That is why most fish added to new tanks die. Fish can not tolerate even a little ammonia. So if your tank can not handle the load you lose fish. Of course some fish like damsels are a little better at handeling it but there is a limt even for them.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
No Short Cuts, As Stated Let It Run For A Month To Cycle, Sandbed Will Cycle Also, Then Check Everything Before Adding Anything, Shouldnt Have A Problem With The Corals You Mentioned Just Dont Put Them Close To Each Other

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Awesome. The Live Rock I have in there is from a reefers tank that was very well established.

Thanks for answering the question about the corals. I probably am going to end up starting simple with Mushrooms first and some frags. I'm going to run a water test tonight.

**EDIT**
Just ran a water test using the API Test Kit
I got the following

pH: 8.2-8.4 :splitspin
Ammonia: 0 ppm :splitspin
Nitrite: .5-1 ppm :letitallo
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Quick question guys. What would the procedure be if I wanted to add more LiveRock or LiveSand later on? I've been reading around and it said only add cured LiveRock and clean off the die off and it should be fine. What about sand?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Best off to add it now while you are still cycling. :)
If you add it later on you will experience another cycle. If you do it while ypu have livestock (either corals or fish on the tank) you could potentially harm or kill them. At this point it may only set you back a day or two.

btw..while you are cycling you need to feed the bacteria that is living /multiplying in the tank. If you have any fish food (flake perferably) and a tiny piece or two every other day to feed the bacteria, or it can die off.

... and welcome to MR!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Oh you have to feed the tank... That I didn't know. I just saw some amphipods 5 minutes ago.

I just threw like 5 flakes in there. I am not even sure if those are amphipods... it looks like it. It might have came from the Rock JL Audio gave me. Both ways it's cool. I hope I'll be ready for some Frags and Fish soon...

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Frogspawn and hammer will not fight each other as they belongs to the same "family".
No fish in the tank for six weeks means no ick either unless we have new strings of ick.
To cycle the tank "REALLY PROPERLY", is a very taunting task but letting the tank sit for 4 weeks to 6 weeks is a safe and working procedure if you do nothig else that fouls the procedures such as changing water without first balancing the parameters and killing a major amount of the bacteria in the process.
Adding a small amount of fish food at the beginning could help to provide food for the bacteria to feed on.
Study the chart of the 3 phrase of the nitrogen cycles in relations to the types of bacteria thoroughly will help you understand when your tank is ready.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Thanks for the advice everybody! I added another piece of Dom's dead rock. The Branch kind of bugged me and I had to fill in that empty gap...

Livestock Intended:
2 Hermit Crabs
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 False Perc
1 Firefish
1 Tailspot Blenny

Corals:
Some Mushrooms will be up front
1 Hammer (probalby will be in the center)
1 Frogspawn
Acans
Xenia
Zooanthids

Updated Pic.
End of this week I will probably have my first fish :) (False perc)

photo-2.jpg

Last edited:

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
HI, the clue I think is patience patience patience.. I have a nano cube 24g, here a link of what I have been doing with it since the beggining www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42102-24-g-nano-cube-dx.html. I started no light, no feeding, no water changes for 2 weeks. First added coral that came with the live rock about 4 weeks, then started the lights. I had no feeding for about 5 months the light was enough to keep coral live and gorwing, even copepods and hermit crab stay alive w/o feeding just eating on the alggae. Now im feeding because added a fish (only one). Remember dont rush adding lots of stuff at once. I once added a bunch (too much for my small tank size) of chaeto algae and almost ended up in disaster.

julian

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
It actually will be 4 weeks at the end of this week. I will probably wait another half a week because I just reaquascaped.

Added a lot of sand for a Deep Sandbed about 4+ inches, I want a yellow head jawfish. I stirred it up with the Arag Alive to mix up the bacteria and stuff. question... do copepods die if they are buried in sand?

photo-3.jpg

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep this thread going.

I will probably end up waiting another week before adding anything, only because I don't have time to go to the LFS. Thanks for the heads up on the copepods I got really worried. I see some of them moving around right now.

My Aquascaping looks a bit weird but once the corals are on it should look fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: