JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ugh the frustration. I have myself a lovely Biocube 29 where I've removed the bioballs and then the sponge between chamber 2 and 3. Currently using a stock biocube filter, but plan on using plain filter foam once I get my levels in check. I have a heater in chamber 1, tunze skimmer in chamber 2, and upgraded to MJ1200 in return chamber...also put in a Koralia nano for extra flow...what's in the tank? a few dwarf blue hermits, some snails, one of those halloween looking crabs and a reef hermit that is too big and needs a new home. Heck, I even have some chaeto hanging out in there for good measure. The problem? My nitrates are off the chart. My nitrites are 0, my ammonia is 0, pH is around 8 and the salinity is 1.020 range. I've got a nice amount of live rock and sand, but my guess is that the original issue was buying uncured rock from a few LFS. I don't know at this point...I'm just frustrated...prematurely bought some things at Greenwich Aquaria which ended up being eaten by the reef crab or just dying and then being eaten. I've done quite a few w/c including did an 8gal water change this weekend and still getting high nitrates...can anyone help? Oh I use Walmart R/O water with Instant Ocean salt. I appreciate any help I can get...I'd love to have some livestock one day as this thing has been cycling since 7/12.

Here is the FTS
2883138981_5700d85753.jpg

is this cyano? should I just take out the piece and boil or chuck it?
2883138983_8c31deea75.jpg

Sorry for long post and fuzzy iPhone pics, but I'm just saddened by this whole thing :frown:

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cycling since 7/12? Just to make it clear for me, after buying uncured rock and prematurely buying livestock and then end up dying, I can just imagine the sudden shift in load in your tank. Everything must've jumped. I'm wondering when was the last time something died in your tank and from then, by how much and how often have you changed your water?

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The only things that legitimately died were cleaner shrimp. The sea cucumber was killed by Conan the Hermit (who just molted again and is now a nice red color)...as were a couple of nassarius snails...nothing else has died or been killed for about two weeks or so. I have done two water changes since then. R/O water measured 0 on the nitrates scale. I am using Salifert kit and the bright deep magenta seems to be off of the chart!

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yup! water change...it'll take a while for those nitrates to go down esp if you do less than 30% water change...even if it was 50 I think it'd take it about a month to get it to 0. :D

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ah CHB, the little pooper...I'm thinking of doing a 50% change and using the PetCo Ocean Water (I think some on the board use it) just to make it easier to do the change...would that be a waste if I know I'm just going to be taking it out again soon or should I go with water I know is quality?
At least someone is smiling up there! LOL
Any ideas about the magenta blob pictured?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I use Petco water from beginning to end on my tank and have used it on every tank I have had. On my 24 I do 5 gallons every 2 weeks and everything is good. Do I think doing a I would buy 4 boxes of it and do a 20 gallon WC see if it helps. I recently had to do a huge WC on my 24 amounting to 15 gallons which is alot for a 24 g tank but everything made it ok for the most part. If you have someone here that could make you a lot of RODI water and you could mix it up with whatever salt you are using and do a WC like that, maybe that is an option.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I dont want to confuse the situation more, but I started with petco water and the S.G. Always seemed to be around 1.028 when i tested it. So have some RO around to dillute it. Has anyone else found this with petco water.
Because otherwise it seemed like a great product.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack thread.

I think I'm gonna buy the PetCo water and do the 20 gallon change just because it would be smoother than waiting for new water to mix in 5 gallon bucket.

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Chefs are always allowed to hijack my threads. thanks for the heads up.
I dont want to confuse the situation more, but I started with petco water and the S.G. Always seemed to be around 1.028 when i tested it. So have some RO around to dillute it. Has anyone else found this with petco water.
Because otherwise it seemed like a great product.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack thread.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: