SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So while I wait for my tank to cycle I'm trying to weigh my lighting options and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. My tank is a 26 gallon bowfront with a 10 gallon sump and my goal is to build a nice little Fish + Reef tank and have some flexibilty in the coral the tank supports down the line.

My specific questions are:
1) How do 65W PC compare to 24W T5s? Assuming the corals dont mind the difference I would elect to go with a T5 set up

2) In the PC & T5 world how many bulbs would be suitable for my tank 2 or 4?

3) Would a MH T5 combo be an option or would the MH generate to much heat?

4) Finally which would you lighting solution would you ultimately suggest for my goals and setup.

Thanks,

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
What are you going to keep? What can you afford?Do you pay your own electricity bill?Do you have a air conditioner,fan,chiller,what's the temprature of the tank in the summer,Do you have a personal preference.Go to pet shops and see what they use on their setups.Observe carefully before buying anything remember that some corals and inverts don't like a lot of light for example my 110 gal fish tank has one 40 watt phillips daylight i dought in home depot and a 40 watt actinic and my mushrooms are big as hell.

Last edited:

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
So while I wait for my tank to cycle I'm trying to weigh my lighting options and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. My tank is a 26 gallon bowfront with a 10 gallon sump and my goal is to build a nice little Fish + Reef tank and have some flexibilty in the coral the tank supports down the line.

1) How do 65W PC compare to 24W T5s? Assuming the corals dont mind the difference I would elect to go with a T5 set up

4) Finally which would you lighting solution would you ultimately suggest for my goals and setup.

Thanks,

1) Don't worry about the wattage so much ... the whole wattage per gallon concept is very old fashioned and not good for determining how much light you need ... T-5's are stronger bulbs then PC's and support a wider range of corals.

2) T-5's on a 26G ... I would go with a 4 bulb fixture ...

3) A 150W MH + T-5 would work well on this tank ... MH will generate alot of heat no matter what. Just be prepared to have some method of cooling it down. I ran a 150W MH on a 10G at one point with no problems what-so-ever.

4) Depends on what you want to keep ... Softies and LPS stick with T-5's only ... SPS I would really consider getting the MH

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
For the actinic part,

I would go for LED Power Actinics for answer to your question 4)

You can see the color difference with your own eyes, no need to wait someone to tell you what's better or proof it better over time with growth data.

Last edited:

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
I totally agree that LED "looks" great as actinic.

But, I just find your comment funny "no need to wait someone to tell you what's better or proof it better over time with growth data"
To me, you are suggesting a new hobbyist not to care about growth data or any kind of results.

So thats whats behind my cryptic sign. Sorry that i laughed. :shhh:

I have another cyptic message for you.. yeaure roeuaobve teourueo :teeth:

BTW. I thought you have your own forum to do all your advertisting no?

But for anyone who is looking for "Super Duper Powerful" LEDs .. wingo is the man for it.:)

Do you not agree?
What actinics would you use then?
I think truthful honest constructive answer is more helpful than misleading cryptic sign.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I totally agree that LED "looks" great as actinic.

But, I just find your comment funny "no need to wait someone to tell you what's better or proof it better over time with growth data"
To me, you are suggesting a new hobbyist not to care about growth data or any kind of results.

So thats whats behind my cryptic sign. Sorry that i laughed. :shhh:

I have another cyptic message for you.. yeaure roeuaobve teourueo :teeth:

BTW. I thought you have your own forum to do all your advertisting no?

But for anyone who is looking for "Super Duper Powerful" LEDs .. wingo is the man for it.:)

I think you are bias thinking EVERY VENDOR on earth making recommendation is about sale and try to use wordings and distraction to smear others.

I don't think you honestly think that my statements are to suggest not to care about the growth. My statements are clearly for the actinics part. The part about growth is left to other people to suggest. You have been always trying to stuff words into other people's mouth and use misleading statements to mis direct people to think of something else which I think is not the proper way to chat in a public forum.

If you think I suggest new hobbyist not to care about the growth, you could have said so right in the beginning. The crytic sign you put in there is to mislead other to think my recommendation is for advertising.

I am a vendor but I don't think that dis qualify my recommendation if they are good and sound, especially. In fact, I think due to the volume of my contact with such lighting technology I am giving educated advice not a vague preference. Mind you I also sell PC actinics but I did not recommend them. Like you said you agreed it look good with LED, so why you have to mislead others to think my statements are to sell?

The green highlighted part trick is getting old

For, the higlighted red part, you once again try to mislead people to think other way instead of staying the course of the thread and be constructive.

The blue part part, I don't think I need you to advertise my LED, thanks anyway.

Also, I am not the only one selling LEDs here and in the world.

Since you think I am advertising here, I will leave this thread and let others to give constructive answers.

Last edited:

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0

I tried PC never liked the color and not much choice for bulbs

IMO I would go with 4 T5 2daylight and 2 actinic. if u want LED for actinic you can add on later(tons choice)and switch the 2 actinic to daylight or other color bulds(too many)lol

Yes MH will definitely generate more heat! I took mine out from my 37G cube for that reason.

Here's a pix of my 37g cube running 6x24w T5s 3 daylight and 3 actinic for 8 hours and LED strips for the rest of the day. I've all kinds of corals in there.
IME my sps grow faster and better color than my connected 75g MH tank....
cube.jpg

Finally here's my advertise I DO sale you can come check out my tank anytime but U dont have to buy anything...lol

SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided that a 4 x 24W T5 setup was what i wanted and after hearing from some other folks that they liked the current reflectors better I ordered a "CURRENT 24" SunDial T5 HO 4X24W + 2 Lunar lights."

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: