Status
Not open for further replies.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Getting back to the table salt thing: I recall in my early days of fresh water that a couple of table spoons of Kosher Salt was recommended for the health of those systems.:) I can also understand the anxiety of realizing that something is wrong, and not having the proper equipment to rectify the problem, and making the wrong decision thinking it is the best one can make.

absolutly, if you read, aquarium salt(for freshwater) is actually evaporated sea salt..which is also the same salt that is kosher(i believe) and at the supermarket you can buy sea salt, that what i use when i cook btw.. anyway the reason for adding salt to your aquarium(freshwater) is bc it activly maintains a balance of electrolytes in the fishes body fluids, such as potasium,sodium, chloride,calcium and magnesium which are absorbed by the fish thru cells in their gills...these elecrolytes are esential for the uptake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide and amonia across the gill membranes.a lack of electrolytes may cause poor fish health and a poor enviornment..:argue::sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: