32Bit_Fish

Hi Guys,

I woke up to find my 38G water temp was at 85F this morning. Room temp was at 76F.

I have 3 powerheads and one HOB Whiisper Filter running on the tank.

I'm assuming the temp will go up when my 36" T5 4x39w is on in the afternoon.

I put a fan in front of the tank and it will start blowing air to the tank when the lights is on.

I dont want to buy a chiller. Is there any other option I have? The motor that drives the whisper gets abit of warm.

bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
My temps this morning was 82.5F. It's definitely getting hotter and humid in NYC. I have a temp controller that turns on my fans with my temps hit 82F and turns off when it hits 80F.

Also, another option is to decrease your light cycle time to 5-6 hrs.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 96%
194   8   0
My temps this morning was 82.5F. It's definitely getting hotter and humid in NYC. I have a temp controller that turns on my fans with my temps hit 82F and turns off when it hits 80F.

Also, another option is to decrease your light cycle time to 5-6 hrs.

My light cycle time has been 5-6 hrs a day since the beginning.

I would need to see how low the temp would get when the fan is on.

Maybe I can just turn off the Whisper, so one less thing that would contribute to the increasing water temp.

I have Maxijet 600, Koralia 2, one other powerhead that connects to my HOB CPR Aquafuge and the Whisper HOB filter. I believe all of these electronics would generate heat and raise water temp.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
if i were u i would try use 2 pumps instead of 3also try to put ur fan so it can blow across the tank and have ur light come on when the sun comes down

I do have two pumps that move the water. Another pump connects to my HOB CPR Aquafuge, I have chaetos and DSB in my Aquafuge, it has been helping keep the nusiance algaes at bay.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this is my first time having a reef tank in the warmer temps and i didnt believe people when they told me its time to get a chiller its defintely getting hott, my tank was at 88 and you can tell the livestock suffer try fans keep the lights on shorter periods of time but good luck

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I'm also having issue with my auto top off pump. The pump is an external one and it rates at 3gph. My DST sits on the tank stand about 5' and the water reserve tank is on the floor. The pump gets warm while transporting the water to my main tank. The water temp gets higher since the top off water go through the external pump.

Should I just buy a regular water pump to replace the external one?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm also having issue with my auto top off pump. The pump is an external one and it rates at 3gph. My DST sits on the tank stand about 5' and the water reserve tank is on the floor. The pump gets warm while transporting the water to my main tank. The water temp gets higher since the top off water go through the external pump.

Should I just buy a regular water pump to replace the external one?

Cheap and easy: No heat to speak of.
http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCPR01137

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The pump itself gets a little warm, but the amount of heat transfer is next to nothing.

If you mount the pump so that it sits between the reservoir and the tank, it should work pretty well. It's about the best option for ATO that I've found.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you can't hook up a chiller or have no A/C that you can run in the room where the tank is, a clip on fan positioned to blow across the surface of the water will bring the temp down by a few degrees.

It is also good to keep a couple of bottles of ro/di water (in case they break open in your tank - for whatever odd reason) in your freezer so that you can 'float' them in your tank or sump to bring down the temp a few degrees. As they melt, return it to the freezer and pop another one in the tank :)

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you can't hook up a chiller or have no A/C that you can run in the room where the tank is, a clip on fan positioned to blow across the surface of the water will bring the temp down by a few degrees.

It is also good to keep a couple of bottles of ro/di water (in case they break open in your tank - for whatever odd reason) in your freezer so that you can 'float' them in your tank or sump to bring down the temp a few degrees. As they melt, return it to the freezer and pop another one in the tank :)

So basically you put ice cubes in your tank. My water temp was at 80F while the fan was on. I will leave the AC on when it is necessary. We are not officially n summer yet. The water probably is going to boil in a real hot summer day.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No, not ice cubes - soda bottles of frozen ro/di water. No point in messing up the salinity when they melt :)

The clip on fan blowing across the surface is usually good to lower your temp by 3 degrees or so. Very handy overnight or when a person is at work :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: