NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i caught a wrom like thing connected to my zoa... what is this??? my zoas havent looked well this past day.. i think i did something wrong... their not as opened... and they look weak... i also saw the worm thing move rapidly fast and back into the zoa 146_2112.jpg

146_2111.jpg

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm

is this a bad thing?? and is this why my zoas r not fully opened?? i thought it was my water but i guess not.. because my leather coral is getting big and my zoas are getting small.... that just doesnt make sense... it;s the worm i guess... but my mushroom might have one also because it shrinks up from time to time.. i think the bristle worm is causing stress

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Your tank isn't ready for corals yet. That is why they don't look good. Stop rushing, buy a book and do some reading. Stop panicking every time something happens to your tank. Leave it alone and let it cycle and stop rushing. The only thing rushing in this hobby will get you is dead corals, inverts and fish.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank isn't ready for corals yet. That is why they don't look good. Stop rushing, buy a book and do some reading. Stop panicking every time something happens to your tank. Leave it alone and let it cycle and stop rushing. The only thing rushing in this hobby will get you is dead corals, inverts and fish.

but these corals r pretty hardy... i think u mean the tank isnt mature?? cause ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0... ph is 8.0... these rest idk... gonna get it tested.. they looked awsome a day ago.. do u think they will survive?? my leather corl is getting huge

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
this will be the last time i write to you until you start listening.get a book.stop adding to your tank and do research.asking questions on here helps but its not the same as picking up a book andc reading

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be the last time i write to you until you start listening.get a book.stop adding to your tank and do research.asking questions on here helps but its not the same as picking up a book andc reading

im might just do fowlr now... everyone is very rude on here, i feel... i don't like how people just tell me to "GET A BOOK"...... im going to probably just keep some damsels or green chromis and if the corals survive they survive..... fowlr is easy since i have done it before.... if the corals survive then i will think about trying them... the corals arent like dead or anything.. just not as open as yesterday... i might sell my t5 lights if i dont keep coral.. or maybe ill keep it... idk... I am listening to what people are saying... i just can't spend all that money like you guys do... i dont wan't to spend 40 dollars on a book that im probably not even going to know what the heck their talking about.... people on youtube have reef tanks and their make it seem so easy... i even saw a 12 year old with a reef tank...

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I agree with u when I first started I got the same crap not that what people r saying is wrong I haven't been following your posts. I post anytime I have a question sometimes I only get 1 or 2 answers I find it easier then doing "research" on the web for hours when I really just wanna know the answer to one particular question. This hobby is very expensive so build your system over time if you check your parameters and everything is in check then just wait let your tank break in for a few months also if possible become friendly with someone who has been doing this for a while they can help steer u in the right direction I've only been at it a year and a half but if I can help u I will. feel free to pm me

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
+1 Mattl22. Yes, some on here lack etiquette and are basically just not nice people but most want to help. If you ask a million questions that have been answered before and worse, refute good advice, you're asking for it. Much more helpful than "get a book" is "learn how to search." A great site is wetwebmedia.com, check it out. I've been in this hobby for even less time than the last poster but have spent countless nights researching so if you want to pm me, be my guest. Ignore the rude people. After all, this is New York.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Don't be discouraged, Nano. People here are not rude (as a generalization), but rather tend to be really helpful when you need it.

I think that people are assuming that you will do some research (maybe 15-20 minutes of reading) before you come to ask us for help and/or advice; as an exercise, try to type your question, as you would word it when asking the MR community, in a search engine of your choice. Chances are that 10-100 people have asked that same question at some point in the past, or that someone has posted a guide about it. No luck in your search? Reword it a few times... still no luck? Ask the community.

Try to be proactive and look through the helpful sticky links in this form - I read all of them when I started, and they worked wonders for my understanding of reef chemistry, my ability to identify non-reef safe critters and overall a higher comfort level with my tank. This goes a long way when there is so much that can pop up or change in your aquarium overnight.

Am I making any sense? As an example, I saw some bristly tentacles coming out of a new zoa frag the other day, and had no idea what they were... I googled bristle worm, but there were distinct differences in the appearance which made me think it was something else. I looked some more, read some more, and decided A) to relax, and B) that they must be brittle stars. Sure enough, a week later it came out and I could see the center disc.

The more you read, the more comfortable you'll be. The more comfortable you get with your tank, the more enjoyable you'll find this hobby.

Good luck!

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
im not being rude.i told him about the search button,i told him to get a book,he is not following what people are telling him and he is asking questions that a aquarium beginner book will tell him.i learned everything from reading books i didnt find this site till may of this year and had a successful reef for years.not everything is easy in life and reading is 1 of them.sorry if i came off being rude

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
everyone is very rude on here, i feel

No one here is telling you to go jump off a cliff. They're giving you advice and you don't like the advice. Most of the members here consider it rude to ask a question that has already been asked THE SAME DAY and is on the front page of the site.

On another note... if you can't afford a book for $40, I'm sorry, but you may be in the wrong hobby.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not being rude.i told him about the search button,i told him to get a book,he is not following what people are telling him and he is asking questions that a aquarium beginner book will tell him.i learned everything from reading books i didnt find this site till may of this year and had a successful reef for years.not everything is easy in life and reading is 1 of them.sorry if i came off being rude

it's alright =)...i know u were just trying to help... but it's kind of frustrating when you don't know 100% what your doing and people are telling you to go buy more stuff... ive spent around 250 dollars already on such a small tank...

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one here is telling you to go jump off a cliff. They're giving you advice and you don't like the advice. Most of the members here consider it rude to ask a question that has already been asked THE SAME DAY and is on the front page of the site.

On another note... if you can't afford a book for $40, I'm sorry, but you may be in the wrong hobby.

i can afford it.. i just dont feel it's worth it... this is why i pay every month to use the internet... i havent used books in forever and it feels kinda stupid imo to go and buy a book when theres a computer right in front of you.. maybe thats just me...i never read books.. but if you could recommend some helpful sites? good accurate ones that many people have used... i read alot on reefkeeping.com yesterday

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Books aren't made just to cut down trees and waste ink you know... they have A LOT of information. You can't just start the hobby thinking you'll figure it out on the way, it is more of doing all the research first so that you do not run into mistakes and even worse, deaths.

A good site that I started on was reefcentral.com. It is very populated and has a lot of great articles. If you SEARCH through their threads, I guarantee you will find answers.

In my experience, I've found that some books are great at explaining how a reef works. It will explain a lot of things like chemistry and the ecosystem in a reef tank. Lots of research is done to write those books ya know.

Also on the money topic, expect to keep paying more and more money as you keep your tank. You will NEVER stop paying money to keep your tank running. You will keep paying for electricity, water, SALT, test kits, etc. I have a 50 gallon tank and to set it up it cost me over 1500. I never expected this when I first started but hey, hobbies aren't cheap, especially this one.

I'll agree with you that if you have a computer, why read? I am not a big fan of reading neither but if its going to help me know how to set up, maintain, and expand my tank, why not?

Knowledge is power. It's cheesy, but its true. And books are a great source of it.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: