bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Hey guys , I'm about to pickup a Christmas wrasse from a fellow member ,, but I learned he isn't reef safe ,, but it was in a mixed reef tank now ,,, he is about 3-4 inches ,, I also have a 6 line in my tank about 1 to 1-1/2 big ,,, I need some opinions ,, should I try to put him in or no ???

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Anytime you get a "non-reef safe" fish you take a chance (sometimes even with reef safe ones). The question I usually ask is "Is it worth the risk"?

I've kept non-reef safe animals in a reef before and had no issues. I've also kept some that did cause issues. If you keep high end zoas, you probably don't want to risk a fish that may eat them, but in the case of most wrasses, they'll leave corals alone. Many of them are considered non-reef safe because they eat inverts. Shrimp, snails and crabs are common casualties.

I kept a snowflake eel in a reef for a long time and loved it. If I put small frags in, he knocked them over, so I stuck with larger corals. I also found myself replacing my cleanup crew more frequently, but it wasn't too bad. It was worth it to have such a cool animal.

I also once kept a blue headed wrasse in a reef. Within a week he cleared out my cleanup crew and usually hid in the rocks. He didn't stay in my tank for long.

It's all risk analysis. Check up on why he's considered non-reef safe and make the call.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
+1

I think you have a better chance on small inverts if they are established in tank prior to introducing the wrasse.
They are great fish also...very active and great personality, generally speaking.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
petraio said:
your six line wrasse is going to attack him until he finish him!!! will fight no doubt

Are u sure of this happening ,, bc I will take the six line out ,, he is stoopin me from adding other wrasses into my tank

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
What size tank do you have Btw? The Christmas Wrasse you say is twice the size of the Six line Wrasse that's a +. I don't think the Six line will take on another Wrasse twice his size, but what do i know.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Dre said:
What size tank do you have Btw? The Christmas Wrasse you say is twice the size of the Six line Wrasse that's a +. I don't think the Six line will take on another Wrasse twice his size, but what do i know.

I have a 72 bow

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0

Think again Dre.LOL Those little buggers can be a nightmare.:irked:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: