• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
What i would do is have someone give you a hand. Put your hand in the water disconnect something. Put you hand in the water until you find where the faulty equipment is.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thats exactly what happened to me. i just bought a $12 grounding probe from aquacave and it fixed everything. or you could do it the cheap way and just cut a piece of wire and put one end into the ground port or an outlet and the other into the water.

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
dont use your hand get a volt meter and check voltage from a ground source to the water and un plug one thing at a time till the voltage goes away and that was your problem i would get a grounding probe just connect it to the center screw of the outlet

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You've already given us all the information needed to determine the source of the stray voltage. You said sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't. Your return pump and skimmer pump run 24/7. The only appliance that runs intermittently is your heater. That's why you only feel it sometimes.

I'm going to make a guess as to which heater it is:

Either, Stealth, Won Brothers, or Finnex Titanium.

How'd I do lol

Russ

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
thats exactly what happened to me. i just bought a $12 grounding probe from aquacave and it fixed everything. or you could do it the cheap way and just cut a piece of wire and put one end into the ground port or an outlet and the other into the water.

Don't put bare wire in the sump it will oxidize quickly and will stop giving you a path to Earth Ground. Get a grounding probe, the probe housing is designed to withstand the saltwater environment and will give you years of use.

Forgot to mention bare wire is copper and is no good for the tank.

Last edited:

Stackbundles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It was a marineland heater 100w. When I bought the tank setup used, it was given to me. Yesterday I took it out to inspect it (heat was on), and then I put it back in the water the glass bursed. Well anyways, since it's been out of the sump, the water is fine. No shocks at all. Thanks everyone for the help.

nittinid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES COPPER!!!!! A BIG NO NO!!! GET A NEW HEATER...THICKER GLASS!!! BETTER WIRING!!! YOU CANT BE CHEAP IN THIS HOBBY...

CHEAP EQUIPMENT ISN"T GOOD...AND GOOD EQUIPMENT ISN'T CHEAP!!!

iMa bE 90 YEaRs OLd DoIn a 30% wAtEr ChAnGe...cUz IMa bE rOcKiN TilL I dIe...

90 GALLON DISPLAY
IN DISPLAY;
110 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK
85 LBS LIVE SAND
(3) 50GPH POWERHEADS
30 GALLON SUMP
IN SUMP;
40 LBS LIVE SAND
15 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK.
FLUVAL 405
PHOSBAN REACTOR
10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT JUST IN CASE
CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(150)
AND AN (ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER

L.S...SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG AND A SMALL CLEAN UP CREW...4 NOW..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: