Tank Smell/Crash??? - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Tank Smell/Crash???
Winter. Time for Flakes..
03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
lol... how old is this tank?
Who informed you that it was ok to add salt directly into the sump?
You do realize that if any undissolved salt directly goes onto coral or livestock it will kill it?

inkblue - 10:13 PM : u suPPose to do ur RG duTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob&Gab View Post
seesh, people really need to be taught a lesson. Stop being a little internet gangster please. you must like drama cause you keep comming back for it.
Canal Street coral vendors... BAhahahAHAHAH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanwhy View Post
Thanks confusious why don't we meet up so I can turn your avatar into a reality

03-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
Are you running carbon? When you added the salt to the sump, was it dissolved in water, or did you just put salt mix in?
+1 on the carbon

03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
yeah so my question is... is it cycling because everything died and it beginning to break down, or did it start cycling which killed everything?

Current stock
1x Magnificent Firefox
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x Blonde Naso Tang
3x Spotbreast Angelfish (male/female harem)
2x Ocellaris Clown
2x Black Ocellaris Clown
1x Zebra Barred Dartfish
10x Green Chromis
2x Scarlet Skunk
1x Blood Shrimp

Build thread:
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ml#post1389502

DIATOM MAGNET
03-31-2011, 10:56 PM
u said in the original post that the tank shut off...what did u mean by that? i have a feeling something shorted out like i posted earlier..if something shorted out it could have cooked that tank. ammonia could be a result of the livestock that died off.

03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi mbg75, I replied in a previous post. I think my heater might have shorted out I've
unplugged it but haven't checked it yet since my tank is heated pretty well by my pump and MH light.

Also, my heater is powered/controlled by my chiller so my temperature didn't rise above 78 degrees and the power to the heater is off unless it hits 76 degrees.

Everything in my tank powered off so even if it did get hot somehow, it would have been contained only to the sump... thanks for the good idea though. I'm leaning more towards the swings in salinity, temp and PH causing this although everything was alive last night.

How can I check if the heater is broken?

Current stock
1x Magnificent Firefox
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x Blonde Naso Tang
2x Ocellaris Clown
2x Black Ocellaris Clown
1x Zebra Barred Dartfish
10x Green Chromis
2x Scarlet Skunk
1x Blood Shrimp

Build thread:

DIATOM MAGNET
04-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Pull the heater out, it might smell burnt. Maybe the temp didn't go up, but thete could have been electrical current through the tank.
You using a grounding probe?

Not sure If u can to much about the crash. Water change, carbon, maybe some purigen?

04-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Tank is a year old... before that it was a 12g nano for 2 years that I upgraded.

I think I read on here it was OK to add salt to the sump in small amounts... like I said I've done it before and none of it reaches my display tank undissolved.

Yeah I pulled it out the heater tonight but it's been unplugged for a while so no current since yesterday. No grounding probe but I will definitely get one.

Current stock
1x Magnificent Firefox
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x Blonde Naso Tang
2x Ocellaris Clown
2x Black Ocellaris Clown
1x Zebra Barred Dartfish
10x Green Chromis
2x Scarlet Skunk
1x Blood Shrimp

Build thread:

Vendor: WingoLED
04-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesonwhiskey View Post
.... although everything was alive last night.

based on this part, I assume you are saying everything means "the bigger animals like fish and such" and alive means "swimming around." If that's the case, they must have killed my ammonia or something poisonous in the water which demands you to do a PROPER water change quickly. This time make sure you mix the water outside the tank and match the pH too.

Ammonia at 1.0 will kill fish very fast.

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092

04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Pro Builder View Post
based on this part, I assume you are saying everything means "the bigger animals like fish and such" and alive means "swimming around." If that's the case, they must have killed my ammonia or something poisonous in the water which demands you to do a PROPER water change quickly. This time make sure you mix the water outside the tank and match the pH too.

Ammonia at 1.0 will kill fish very fast.

Yes, I will check again and do more water changes tonight when I get home but unfortunately I'm expecting almost everything to have died. I removed about 10 snails last night. Corals still closed although not all are dead...yet.

Wingo, thanks again for the LEDs yesterday... now I just need to get my tank back in order!

Current stock
1x Magnificent Firefox
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x Blonde Naso Tang
2x Ocellaris Clown
2x Black Ocellaris Clown
1x Zebra Barred Dartfish
10x Green Chromis
2x Scarlet Skunk
1x Blood Shrimp

Build thread:

04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Just because you don't see salt crystals floating in your display doesn't mean they're dissolved in the water. It takes a while for it to completely dissolve in the water.

I would do a large (50%) water change today. Get ready after that one to do another one in a day or 2. Also, if you have a hospital tank (if you don't, get one. You can get a 20 gallon tank for $20) get out any fish which still seem healthy enough to survive so they don't have to suffer through the crash. But also be careful and acclimate them properly to the hospital tank. Be prepared to do regular small water changes on the hospital tank because there won't be any biological filtration. Any coral which is still holding on I'd probably get into another tank or 2 as well (large buckets will work too). If it looks like your whole tank is going to crash, I'd just start pulling out what's still alive, break down the tank, and put it back together. Your coral has more of a chance of surviving a couple of days in a bucket with low light and good water quality than it does in a tank that's cycling.