Nanobbules and strawman arguments - Page 4 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Skeptical Reefkeeping  /  Nanobbules and strawman arguments
Closed Thread
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 08:07 PM
  #31  
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBClownfish View Post
Thales get over it.
Nah. This is pretty much what this thread is for, to discuss stuff like this.

Quote:
If everyone is telling you the same thing there must be some truth to it.
Everyone is not telling me the same thing, and factually quite a few people are agreeing with me.

Quote:
You were told you were being a baby on the R2R thread so you come here to complain.
No one called me a baby. Again, this is my forum, and this kind of discussion is one of the things this forum is for.

Quote:
Your (sic)are being called a baby here
No one is calling me a baby here - well maybe except for you.

Quote:
and it is still everyone else's fault.
Nah. It is the fault of the two, maybe three people over there.

Quote:
" Why am I the only one being taken to task for this issue? Others in those threads have been really icky and no one says a thing."

They might communicate better then you.
LOL
 
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 08:10 PM
  #32  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I think I can understand.....somebody with all your experience, knowledge and years of hard work, some if not most of what you read must make you crazy. Took me quite a while, as you know, to see where you were coming from and a very good learning experience for me. But I took the time to bicker with you, read your history, articles, etc:. I stopped the discussion because even I "felt" like I was coming after you in re-reading my answers. My arguments were not cohesive after the first response or 2 but did learn something in the end. Never, never would I want someone to feel like I was coming after them. Consider myself a pretty good guy and I like to think I am someone who is enjoyable to discuss matters with even if over my head Which is most often the case. So, I suggest with the best of intentions to perhaps maybe consider not being so straightforward at the outset just because I know how excited you are to get your point across to as many people as possible. But will only work if they are open to listening and not immediately be put on the defensive
I hear you and thanks. This is why I keep pressing.

Sometimes I sugar coat more. Sometimes I don't. Always an experiment.
 
WTBClownfish is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 167
04-05-2016, 08:13 PM
  #33  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Nah. This is pretty much what this thread is for, to discuss stuff like this.



Everyone is not telling me the same thing, and factually quite a few people are agreeing with me.



No one called me a baby. Again, this is my forum, and this kind of discussion is one of the things this forum is for.



No one is calling me a baby here - well maybe except for you.



Nah. It is the fault of the two, maybe three people over there.



LOL
Yes a forum is for people to discuss items so stop crying when people disagree with you and don't want to deal with your shitty attitude. You must be to stupid to read between the lines but people are calling you a baby.
 
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 08:14 PM
  #34  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnevo View Post
This is a great point and I wish there was a more documented measure of bubbles in Eric's article he even says



Now whether we can ever even agree on what size these bubbles we're referring to are is altogether another question.
In some of the nanobubble stuff the define the size of these bubbles. I haven't even touched on the credibility of that stuff though.

Quote:
If I get the gist of you're upcoming article, it may cover how a hobbyist can contribute data of this type in a scientific way? This is something that should be stickied/pinned on every forum out there.
It isn't a recipe for how to do it, more tying to convince people they should do it. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
It would be interesting to have some kind of knowledge base where people can submit observations so they can be collected, analyzed, reviewed and compiled into meaningful and useful data. Oh Josh....
Yeah, it would be great. We have talked about cataloguing all the reef stuff out there, but it is a major project that I don't know if I have time for.
 
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 08:16 PM
  #35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBClownfish View Post
Yes a forum is for people to discuss items so stop crying when people disagree with you and don't want to deal with your shitty attitude. You must be to stupid to read between the lines but people are calling you a baby.
I'm not crying, I am exploring a topic that is of interest to me. If you don't like it you don't have to post here. I am happy to have you post here, but not if you are going to be a combative ****** canoe.

As I said before, I don't try to read between the lines because of how often people who do that get it wrong. YMMV.
 
WTBClownfish is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 167
04-05-2016, 08:23 PM
  #36  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
I'm not crying, I am exploring a topic that is of interest to me. If you don't like it you don't have to post here. I am happy to have you post here, but not if you are going to be a combative ****** canoe.

As I said before, I don't try to read between the lines because of how often people who do that get it wrong. YMMV.
What is the topic of intrest, talking crap about people on reef2reef? Your initial post was not to discuss microbubbles it was to complain about r2r. Sounds like your butt hurts because you think people hate (your description) you on reef2reef. Hate to break it to you, no one cares, you are not that important.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
I have been involved in a few discussions of 'nanobubbles'. It is has been interesting because by simply asking for evidence, people seem to hate me. This is almost as interesting as it is distressing. Mostly they keep saying that people are negative without trying it and it it so cheap what is the big deal. When you point out that that is what snake oil salesmen say, you get told you are making personal attacks. It is very strange.

If you feel like seeing what I am talking about check out

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mic...3#post-2842332

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mic...224373/page-26
 
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 08:28 PM
  #37  
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBClownfish View Post
What is the topic of intrest, talking crap about people on reef2reef?
No. The topic of interest is a meta topic - how people communicate, make assumptions, and fall prey to fallacious reasoning

Quote:
Your initial post was not to discuss microbubbles it was to complain about r2r.
No, it was about this, as stated in the initial post "Mostly they keep saying that people are negative without trying it and it it so cheap what is the big deal. When you point out that that is what snake oil salesmen say, you get told you are making personal attacks."

Quote:
Sounds like your butt hurts because you think people hate (your description) you on reef2reef.
See, that is how that reading between the lines screws you. LOL

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, no one cares, you are not that important.
You care enough to post here. Several times. LOL
 
Charley is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 304
04-05-2016, 10:49 PM
  #38  
There was another terrific discussion about nano bubbles on reefthreads podcast #269.

I love reefthreads!


Reef Threads Podcast #269

This week we talk more about carnivorous plants and a lot about nano bubbles.
 
Charley is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 304
04-05-2016, 11:04 PM
  #39  
Thales......

I think you overestimate how easy people are duped and perhaps confuse this with "enthusiasm" for the hobby. Part of the enjoyment of this hobby for some, I venture to guess, is since there is so little actual evidence on certain topics, people can "play" scientist and try out different things and see what happens, for better or worse. We are humans, we are naturally curious.

I also think that there is difference in having an argument and they WAY you argue. Sometimes, finesse can go a long, long way as opposed to using a baseball bat. Yes, you do makes us feel like you are using a baseball bat sometimes. Understandably with good intentions Uh oh ...bracing myself!
 
Thales's Avatar
Thales is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
04-05-2016, 11:42 PM
  #40  
I think it is great the people play scientist - that is something I support. I just want them not to promote fallacious thinking because it leads to bad things. I often have to argue that anyone can do science because people seem to think they 'have to have a lab and fancy equipment'.

Sometimes I do work at what you are calling finesse, but in my experience it takes so much effort and the results end up being exactly the same because at the root of it, some people just get bent unless you agree with them... and it tends to happen more when people are making claims they can't support

Last edited by Thales; 04-05-2016 at 11:50 PM.
 

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes