• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
your lucky home depot messed up only one cut. I would never recommend having them cut the wood for your projects. it's just not exact enough. you can use hardwood shims to fix it. place them thick end in from the inside and trim them on both sides. Ideally I would do this the whole length of the gap. You are also lucky it was on a side, if it was the top or bottom you'd have to get a new piece of wood.

I was thinking of just cutting a length of Ply 1/4 think and use that a full shim.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Equipment!

Some Equipment I've collected.

2007_1219misc20016.jpg

2007_1219misc20019.jpg

2007_1219misc20021.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
latino,you should think about reinforcing your stand with 2/4's thats a lot of weight for that plywood,maybe you can put them on the flat this way you dont loose to much space. good luck:)

that's the whole point to my article :)

plywood is plenty strong enough, dimensional lumber is a waste of space.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Lantio very nice build, I was too am going to be following John's build, just adding my perferences to it. But I aswell was questioned on the strength. Thank you John for clearing that up. Anyway great looking build can't wait to see the tank. And stay far way from your dads tool lol jk :biglaugh:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
this is my 120 on just plywood, I laminated two sheets together, that makes extremely strong supports. Remember the weight is bearing down on the plywood standing vertically, that is it's strength.

Next time you are in home depot or lowes have two buddy's hold a sheet of plywood on end while you jump up and down on it, you'll see just how strong it is ;)
If they ask wth you are doing just tell them you are inspectors testing the structural integrity of their wood :)

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Lantio very nice build, I was too am going to be following John's build, just adding my perferences to it. But I aswell was questioned on the strength. Thank you John for clearing that up. Anyway great looking build can't wait to see the tank. And stay far way from your dads tool lol jk :biglaugh:

I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought some more about it... this is what Oceanic and AGA sell... nothing but plywood...

It's very sturdy. Jonathan. thank you for the write up...

lanacane214

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
latino,the way the plywood is in the back ,with the grain going up and down i belive it will be strong enough,but not the side pieces,the grain is going side to side that way the plywood is weaker,thats taking a big chance,when it can be fixed i dont think it will be strong enough(just my opinion):tongueani

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
latino,the way the plywood is in the back ,with the grain going up and down i belive it will be strong enough,but not the side pieces,the grain is going side to side that way the plywood is weaker,thats taking a big chance,when it can be fixed i dont think it will be strong enough(just my opinion):tongueani

Please tell me you jokeing!!!!!

I just finished sqaureing this thing... that was not as easy as I thought.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Understanding how plywood is made might help.
Depending on the type it's either 5 or 7 layers of plies that are glued together.
They are glued together perpendicular to each other for strength. Yes the strongest shear strength is achieved along the parallel axis, in this case the difference is negligible.

The stand is plenty strong the way it is constructed. It would require much more downward force than the tank has to make the sides buckle out. It makes little difference which way the panels are orientated at the size they are.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
OK... After sqauring it off... it's really strong. I just have to add the front Horizontal support/molding. That should stop it from moving side to side.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
John, I'm not sure what you mean by "after" squaring it off?

When you make the case it should be square before the glue dries, otherwise you won't be able to move anything. Did you use glue and screws or just screws? The combination is what makes the butt joint strong enough to use, without both of them I would not trust the case. (please say you used glue :eek:)

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The 1st pix were of the stand with out glue and only loss screws. I was worried that I was going to end up with worse cuts (Wasn't 100% sure of my math..... Duhhh) and having to bang the damn thing apart.

So what I did yesterday was took it all a part, Fixed that back panel, glued the whole stand and then squared it off.

Hope fully I can get the front supports and door cut tonight and installed.... maybe..

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Almost done. All I have to do is add the iron on finish to all the ply edges. I have to add the bottom moldings and the door, then stain and finish this beast. I'm hoping to have this sucker done by next weekend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: