• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Update

API nitrates test kit and Special blend (the cause and the cure)

I am finally (for now) over with my cyano battle after couple of weeks. I have never had as bad as I had (almost 80% of sand was covered). I have maintained my weekly w/c, not overfeeding and testing my nitrates weekly.. but that was my mistake? test the nitrates with API test kit.. That test kit sucks! Big time.. I was banging my head against the tank wondering why I am getting cyano when nitrates were zero.. yeah right..!! I decided to get ELOS nitrate test kit and the true came out.. I had nitrates and bad.. so water changes was my only solution, and of course sell some of my fish. I did both and still was getting some cyano.. what was really odd is that while my nitrates were going down, my cyano was getting worse.. ah??? .. so frag swap time came and my tank was not ready .. so frustrating!!!! But then .. the cure.. THANKS TO JARRET .. I mentioned to him my problem and in a second, he recommended to use special blend.. Honestly with all the respect, I don?t really believe in those ?magical? liquids. In my past experience, they have done more harm than fixing the issue, but then again I was desperate and Jarret was so sure about it that he convinced me? this special blend is supposed to help you cycle faster, provide good bacteria for the tank and reduce the need for water changes.. so I read up some reviews and decided to give it a try .. I must say that thing worked!!! After 2 days I put it in my tank,. Cyano was gone.. now I am not saying DO NOT DO WATER CHANGES AND JUST ADD THIS? please I am not making a conclusion like that.. I have kept doing weekly water changes and adding special blend weekly? I have been using it for almost 3 weeks and my tank is back in shape.. I am stil testing it and will update any results.

And now.. here is a FTS of my tank.. with an special gorgeous unique coral now in my tank ;0)

Attachments

• IMG_9020.jpg
    IMG_9020.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 220
  • FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Gorgeous tank.. I used the special blend product for a little bit too. That bottleof liquid does stink!! Just like the skimmate, lol.. Maybe I should try to add them back in again, i have some green slime, on my rocks, etc.. Wonder if that would help..

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
bravo my friend. very nice and good job with the battle.

question for you...
my buddy has a 90g and he is the same situation you were in with cyno. he finally got the sera test kit and it is showing some nitrates now. in a few days we are moving his tank across the room because he is getting new couches and wants to move the tank. when we move the tank, we are going to be breaking it all down into garbage cans and moving the tank and resetting it up. during that time we are going to do a 40% water change, replace the sand, and scrub down the rocks. would you think adding the special blend would be better in the water change water, or wait til its back and set up, then a day or two after words add it?

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
bravo my friend. very nice and good job with the battle.

question for you...
my buddy has a 90g and he is the same situation you were in with cyno. he finally got the sera test kit and it is showing some nitrates now. in a few days we are moving his tank across the room because he is getting new couches and wants to move the tank. when we move the tank, we are going to be breaking it all down into garbage cans and moving the tank and resetting it up. during that time we are going to do a 40% water change, replace the sand, and scrub down the rocks. would you think adding the special blend would be better in the water change water, or wait til its back and set up, then a day or two after words add it?

I would say once everything is back into the tank and tank is running.. then add special blend.. I dont think you have to wait 1 or 2 days..just add it once the tank i set.. Also just be carefull with the new sand.. hopefully that doesnt cause the tank to re-cycle.. and eventually you should have some cyano since the sand is new.. good luck with the movement man..

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would say once everything is back into the tank and tank is running.. then add special blend.. I dont think you have to wait 1 or 2 days..just add it once the tank i set.. Also just be carefull with the new sand.. hopefully that doesnt cause the tank to re-cycle.. and eventually you should have some cyano since the sand is new.. good luck with the movement man..

well, lwt me correct myself, we are not doing ALL new sand, we are keeping his old sand, but doing a good 1-2" coat of new sand mixed in. so we will see. thanks though. again, bravo on keeping the 57Rimless looking cleann. its a sexy set up you got there with the rock set up. are those rocks lose sitting on top of of each other or did you glue/mold them down to stay?

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
well, lwt me correct myself, we are not doing ALL new sand, we are keeping his old sand, but doing a good 1-2" coat of new sand mixed in. so we will see. thanks though. again, bravo on keeping the 57Rimless looking cleann. its a sexy set up you got there with the rock set up. are those rocks lose sitting on top of of each other or did you glue/mold them down to stay?

ooooh ok.. so you should be fine ..

Thank you .. yes it is a sexy topless tank .. :Up_to_som and wait for the other things I want to add to it.. just waiting for the right specimens.. :chef:

I drilled the rocks and use some plastic sticks to attach the rock to each other. ..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: