• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
One tip: avoid the mailman on Friday. Mine didn't look to happy having to deliver 40 of sand.

haha shouldnt be that bad, all he has to do is get out of his truck and carry 80lbs of sand and 50 lbs of rock haha

What are you planning on with that light? Those bulbs are gonna be centered right over the middle brace, You don't want them that close to it, They will start to melt the thing.

i dont think they will melt the brace... lol its not ganna exactly lying on the tank

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
[

i dont think they will melt the brace... lol its not ganna exactly lying on the tank[/QUOTE] I can tell this is your first time with Metal Halides. I will keep my advice to myself if you don't think you need it. Good luck with that brace.

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
i've definitely seen a lot of those braces melt away with MH on top...i had a 65 just like that but the previous person i got it from took that brace off.. not safe at all, but i still had it running for over a year til i gave it away.

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
so my tank is pretty much ready to be filled, but im just wondering what people usually do with the rock sand and water. Do you lay out the sand in the tank and scape the rock first, or do you scape the rock when the tank is full with water?

trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I put plastic egg crate underneath my rock so it wouldn't slide around. It also help distribute the pressure if you have any pointed rocks. You can find it in the light section at home depot or lowes. I cut mine to size then put the rocks together outside the tank using the outside edge of the egg crate as the border not to cross. Much easier. I also used nylon rods and nuts to hold most pieces together. Once I was happy I then put it in the tank.

You also want the rock on the bottom of the tank not on the sand. That way things can't dig underneath and topple the rocks over.

Last edited:

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
the thing im a bit worried about now is that if i invest in an LED setup, the middle brace will block the light. so do you think i should get 2 100w LED setups or 1 200w positioned in the center

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: