cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Hi Tim, I'm not sure about this but I think it would take an enormous amount of bacteria to consume the PO4 that your system seems to create. I would try to bring the PO4 down to lower levels with some Phosban or GFO and then let the Biopellets maintain those levels. I've been running my BioPellets for about 2 weeks now. My PO4 levels have stayed pretty constant around .06 - .07

I don't understand this logic.. How could the pallets maintain a low PO4 level after a different method is used to bring it down, if the source of the PO4 has not changed?

I would think the tank is bacteria limited at this point and not food source limited if the PO4 and No3 is not dropping anymore. These pallet supposed to be a "feed on demand" carbon source, so you don't have to dose daily.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I don't understand this logic.. How could the pallets maintain a low PO4 level after a different method is used to bring it down, if the source of the PO4 has not changed?

I would think the tank is bacteria limited at this point and not food source limited if the PO4 and No3 is not dropping anymore. These pallet supposed to be a "feed on demand" carbon source, so you don't have to dose daily.

I was going with the idea that the system has accumulated a high PO4 over time. In order to bring that level down, it would take a large population of bacteria. You want the bacteria that is cultured in the Pellets to consume at a even rate of production (in terms of PO4 and NO3). I don't think the system is actually producing PO4 at rate of .75ppm, thats probably an accumulation over time.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I was going with the idea that the system has accumulated a high PO4 over time. In order to bring that level down, it would take a large population of bacteria. You want the bacteria that is cultured in the Pellets to consume at a even rate of production (in terms of PO4 and NO3). I don't think the system is actually producing PO4 at rate of .75ppm, thats probably an accumulation over time.

So how does he do that with GFO?

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

A system does not create phosphates. Phosphates are added by feeding. If you are predicting that the bacteria has reached equilibrium and reads 0.75. That means the bacteria is only cancelling out what is added via food. Skipping a few feedings will put the theory to the test. Less feeding with the same bacterial population would lower the phosphates. Unless of course the pellets do not work as advertised.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Updates? I would love an alternative to daily vodka dosing. I would think if levels are not coming down any more after initial drop you need to add more pellets.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just tested after adding new phosban about a week ago and the phos. is down to .10 with regular feeding`s and no water change.I think the reason for the high initial reading`s was that the LR that is in the tank is leaching phos. back into the water(LR was in a FO tank with no rodi just well water for mixing and topoff). The next step will be a water change of 20% to see what happen`s to the reading`s. Stay tuned.......

Last edited:

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was always running Phosban and it never got reading`s down to this level. I am going to say it is a combo effect. I want to see what happens after a water change.....

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Damn! lol, maybe take the phosban off line to see if they remain low? These pellets are supposed to maintain levels, but you cant tell if your running a Proven method mixed in with them.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In the beginning I had taken the phosban offline. The Biopelets brought down the phos. but after a couple of weeks it seemed like it stalled so I added the Phosban and that seemed to work. Ari will test the Nitrates now.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
after installing the BP, i noticed my skimmer output slowed a bit but now seams to be resuming normal output. My filter socks are now clogging after 24hrs of changing it.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I`m using a MJ 1200 on the Phosban 150. tested the nitrates today and they are down to 5.0. I will do a 20% water change tom. to see what happens....

kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i've been using the pellets for 2.5 months now. i never had detectable nitrates or phosphates so i cant comment on that. what i can definitely say is that i used to have to clean the glass every other day and now i do it once a week. i also used to get a brownish dusting on the substrate which i dont anymore. i do not run GFO anymore at all and have since taken out my refugium. the only problem i seem to be having is a small cyano outbreak on my substrate. whether this is because of the NP pellets directly or because other forms of algae are limited with the pellets making way for the cyano i dont know. i will start vacuming my substrate which i never did before.

in terms of dosages. guys, the whole idea is that this is external to your tank and the pellets are only broken down with available N and P in the column. therefore, it shouldnt matter too much if you put too much or too little. the only caveat to this is that if you have high N and high P you will get a rapid colonization which may translate into rapid depletion of oxygen as the bacteria multiply.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: