anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
If you have no trates and po4 in the tank, yes it is good. Ammonia has nothing to do with this.

You need to have control because to much of something is not god you need some trates in the tank clean water is not always good water.

I thought the more bacteria = the lower ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the tank..

So is that something you'd even want to control?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
There is a minimal amount of bacteria in the water column. The outlet of the reactor should directly face the skimmer's intake and most excess bacteria should be skimmed out. Also, if the flow is correct in the reactor, you should not have an abundance of bacteria coming out.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
and all of this can be achieved with proper water changes, sufficient skimmer, proper levels of alk, mag, cal. i have seen a ton of tanks that dont use any of the above and have superior color and growth. ive tried, vodka, ive tried, sugar, ive tried vinegar, ive tried mb7-bio-and rocks and never had that wow this chit is great, compared to doing proper and regular water changes. the photo person and lights can make blah corals look great

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anthony the Biopellets actually seem safer because the bacterial population will only grow to a size dependent on the amount of food available.

When you dose bacteria and bacteria food via zeo, etc. you are increasing the bacterial population in your system based on how much you dose. More control yes, but more risky because you can easily raise bacterial population to unsafe levels. And the problem with this is we can't measure how much bacteria is in our system. It's trial and error based on how your system responds.

In summary dosing bacteria and food is more risky than providing a place for bacteria to grow at their own pace based on available food.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
NYreefNoob said:
and all of this can be achieved with proper water changes, sufficient skimmer, proper levels of alk, mag, cal. i have seen a ton of tanks that dont use any of the above and have superior color and growth. ive tried, vodka, ive tried, sugar, ive tried vinegar, ive tried mb7-bio-and rocks and never had that wow this chit is great, compared to doing proper and regular water changes. the photo person and lights can make blah corals look great

I'm with you man. If tried a few different probiotic carbon dosing methods and nothing has worked better than keeping things simple with good husbandry.

However, if these pellets can eliminate the need for GFO with minimal maintenance I would be willing to try. But the jury is still out and there are mixed reviews so I am not quite ready to take that leap.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yes, I agree that great tank can be achieved with proper traditional maintenance. But we are in an ever evolving hobby. Also, keep in mind that the whole premise of the pellets, first released by Dennis Van Houten in the Netherlands, was to be able to increase feeding and have a system that can constantly have lots of food like in a natural reef, without increasing your dissolved nutrient levels (the problem that plagues closed aquarium systems). This would allow better health and keeping of more types of fish and also keep a more nature like environment on our closed reef systems.

BIG L A

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have no experience with none of these methods, but I do remember the person who brought to our attention... Harry was the first one to jump in and I've always said that I wont credit the way his tank looks now as compared to 2 months ago totally to the biopellets... For those who know Harry you know that he stays on top of his game with the maintanance of his tank... When I would ask Harry how he felt the biopellets were doing he would say they're not doing nothing bad everything seems good (results from testing, and the way corals looked)... But I guess this was while the bacteria was populating and then boom algea in his fuge was gone (this is when it looked like a fuge) and we who have attended the meet n greets seen how clean this thing is, LoL... And the last time I was like WoW the colors and everything was looking so good... With that said I have picked up my maintanance game and have started using BIOPELLETS last night...

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Anthony,

you also saw my tank and I am not using bio pellets. I am using the mb7 and bio fule. I have not seen harrys tank as of yet but I plan on it.

Has there been any long term testing on these pellets that we can conclude.

CONSTANTNE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I went from dosing MB7 with biofuel to NPX bio-beads. Both before and after beads nitrates and phosphates have been zero. Have been experiencing cyano type algae on sand everyday. Hoping it goes away soon but I dont know since beads have been running for a month so far.

BIG L A

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Anthony,

you also saw my tank and I am not using bio pellets. I am using the mb7 and bio fule. I have not seen harrys tank as of yet but I plan on it.

Has there been any long term testing on these pellets that we can conclude.
Your tank looks good Anthony but what I was really saying is the difference between July and now is BIG... Like I stated I will not give all the credit to the Biopellets but they have played a part in the change... I'm not knocking the zeo products and you method, I choose this method for the same reason I never started vodka dosing or your method... And that is if I have to go and put a lil vodka everyday in my tank and increase slowly or if I have to shake a bottle 2 times a day for me its too much... I will forget one day or something and consistancy is the name of the game with those methods... For me, my tank demands enough time already and I dont wanna keep adding to it... Remember alot of people are doing vodka dosing and are succesful while others aren't, I just think this is one of those cases... Some people use Zeo and are doing good with it and some people use biopellets and are doing good with it... Both have their risks, we must stay on top of our game with our systems and do the best we can with what is working for us...

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok I think I'm starting to understand how the biopellets work. Let me now if I'm am wrong the pellets desolve and release bac to the tank when needed and absorb po4 and no3 as well and the flow has to be just right or it will cause the pellets to desolve faster and cause problems. I would love to use this an stop my zeo

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Batt, read my long post. It describes what's going on biologically with pellets. They do not dissolve, they are consumed by the bacteria growing in the reactor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: