DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've been using bio-pellets on my system since Aug 2010, with excellent results. Nitrates are undetectable and phosphates 0.01-0.03 steadlily.

I started this thread to read update from other users of bio-pellets, good, bad, or indifferent.

If good, share your experience
If Bad, also share what occurred

Tom, whats going on with your bio-pellets use? You've been quiet....

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Biopellets

Doc I have a 72ga Bowfront w/15ga sump, I would like to start a reactor with the pellets. Can you recommend which reactor and pump combo to achieve 0 nitrates. Once I start it I guess I can eliminate the phosban reactor right because the biopellets will take care of that too? Any help and advise will be appreciated.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I've been using bio-pellets on my system since Aug 2010, with excellent results. Nitrates are undetectable and phosphates 0.01-0.03 steadlily.

I started this thread to read update from other users of bio-pellets, good, bad, or indifferent.

If good, share your experience
If Bad, also share what occurred

Tom, whats going on with your bio-pellets use? You've been quiet....

ummm...status quo!!!
after the first 4-6 weeks there weren't any significant changes.

lets back up a bit.....prior to bio pellets implementation, the nitrate was in the neighborhood of 10-20 and phos- 0.05.

i started with about 1000ml of bio-pellets (half the dosage) in a 3.5" x 24" precision marine reactor driven by a mj1200. i started the bio-pellets about a week or so after doclopez.(8/25/10)

after about 3 weeks or so, i started to see the colors of acro's becoming more vibrant. but the monti's started to brown out...the polyps were still out like normal but the bright green polyps became brown.....my theory is that the water became more clear and the monti's weren't happy. no noticeable changes in other corals.
the nitrate was about the same however phos dropped to 0.03. there were a lot of cruds clogging the filter sock from the second to third week. and the skimmate was more cruddy and stinkier than normal. this was about the time the bio-pellets level dropped about 2".

after about 7 weeks(10/15), i added about 800ml more of the biopellets leaving some room for them to tumble. the mj1200 wasn't cutting it so i changed the pump to a rio 1100 rated at about 380gph with more head pressure. the pellets tumbled very nicely after that. the monti's are still brown, everything seems to grow and color up as expected. the skimmer pulled out cruddier and stinkier stuff still. the tunicate and other filter feeders seem to be very happy.

now we're at about the 10th week....no drop in bio-pellets level since added. nitrate is about 10 and phos is 0.01-0.03. no longer use the ferric oxide...the reactor is still running but haven't change the media since 8/20.
one thing i noticed, the calcium media (korallin c-30002 4"x 24") dropped 7 inches since july.....don't know if that's a lot or not...it's my first cal. rx.

conclusion:
the acro's seem to grow more quickly and more vibrant, the water looks clearer, the filter feeders seem happier, the skimmate is cruddier and stinkier, and the cal. media seem to drop more quickly.
the nitrate and phos are maintained without the ferric oxide and perhaps dropped a little.
i wouldn't say the bio-pellets made a huge difference but did help maintain the phos. and nitrate therefore almost everyone, with the exception of the monti's, are happier. and that's ok in my book.
the water change schedule had been stretched to 2 weeks (sometimes even 3) while breaking in the pellets. it will be back to weekly (to bi-weekly) soon.

one thing i forgot...there seem to be some red algae growing on the rock where there are high flow(so it's not cyano) and had over grown the birdnest colony....... that may be the bulbs??? they are due for a change.

hey doc......coincidentally i noticed them red algae on the rocks in your tank also but forgot to mention it.
enough update for you?.....lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
ummm...status quo!!!

conclusion:
the acro's seem to grow more quickly and more vibrant, the water looks clearer, the filter feeders seem happier, the skimmate is cruddier and stinkier, and the cal. media seem to drop more quickly.
the nitrate and phos are maintained without the ferric oxide and perhaps dropped a little.
i wouldn't say the bio-pellets made a huge difference but did help maintain the phos. and nitrate therefore almost everyone, with the exception of the monti's, are happier. and that's ok in my book.
the water change schedule had been stretched to 2 weeks (sometimes even 3) while breaking in the pellets. it will be back to weekly (to bi-weekly) soon.

one thing i forgot...there seem to be some red algae growing on the rock where there are high flow(so it's not cyano) and had over grown the birdnest colony....... that may be the bulbs??? they are due for a change.

hey doc......coincidentally i noticed them red algae on the rocks in your tank but forgot to mention it.
enough update for you?.....lol.

PERFECT, THANKS DOC!

I too have not added any additional bio-pellet media since the beginning of Oct. I'm thinking There is not enough of a bio load to support the carbon based bacteria.

I also had issues with my dual skimmers, as you may recall I have one set at wet skimming and one for dry skimming. Well the dry is taking much longer to acclumalate skim while the wet is skimming mostly clear skimmate. I had shut the wet down for two weeks, which didnt impact the amount of skim in the dry skimmer so i turn them both again.

In one month my stag's growing tips grew about 1", hey at that rate in six months i'd have a forest!

Last edited by a moderator:

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Doc I have a 72ga Bowfront w/15ga sump, I would like to start a reactor with the pellets. Can you recommend which reactor and pump combo to achieve 0 nitrates. Once I start it I guess I can eliminate the phosban reactor right because the biopellets will take care of that too? Any help and advise will be appreciated.

You could use the phosban reactor you have. Start out with 200ml of bio-pellets. A pump for the reactor should be after the skimmer and the return before the skimmer. Then let it ride!

After a noticable drop in pellet consumption add more pellets but keep the tumbling rate consistent.

Happy reefing

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I didn't think you were supposed to tumble the pellets. Which brand are you using? And also I read you are not supposed to use any phosban when pellets are being used. I heard the skimmer will pull more out because of the bacterias waste and die off. I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I didn't think you were supposed to tumble the pellets. Which brand are you using? And also I read you are not supposed to use any phosban when pellets are being used. I heard the skimmer will pull more out because of the bacterias waste and die off. I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

supposedly all the bio-pellets are just about the same....kinda like ferric oxide/gfo. so any brand should do. the phosban was used at the beginning of the break in period then stop. every articles/instructions i've read call for a good tumble. give it a shot and give us your input.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

The pellets must tumble, but will be tumbled by the flow of a pump.

Which brand are you using? And also I read you are not supposed to use any phosban when pellets are being used. I heard the skimmer will pull more out because of the bacterias waste and die off. I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

I started out with NP Pellets from marine depot then bought npx pellets from Tito @ Gotham Aqautics. They claim it the same formula.

And also I read you are not supposed to use any phosban when pellets are being used. I heard the skimmer will pull more out because of the bacterias waste and die off. I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

If your having an issue with high phosphates to begin with i would stop cold turkey with the phosban rxtr. I'd let the pellets colonize and begin doing its job before removing the phosban rxtr.

I heard the skimmer will pull more out because of the bacterias waste and die off. I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

True, at first my skimmers were working OT, but now that my bio load is very low (UNLS) it really doesnt have much to pull. I'm even trying to feed more often than i use to feed (2 - 3 weekly)

I will be switching to pellets soon just not sure which brand I wanna go with.

Doesnt matter in my opinion, just go for it!

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i started the vertex bio pellets last week with their reactor. nitrates 15 not sure on phos, and the pellets are suppose to have a slight tumble, i wont stop my vodka dosing till abut week 3 and wont take the phosban and carbon off till week 4

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
In reading, it seems a lot of people are still running GAC along with pellets. BRS even says that carbon remove totally different contaminates, and GAC should be left running. Thoughts?

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have no real problem with phos or nitrates, nitrates are under 5 and phos is not measurable. I do run a reactor but with the minimal 2 inches it needs of phosban. I was thinking of going to the pellets more of a precaution than any thing else.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
In reading, it seems a lot of people are still running GAC along with pellets. BRS even says that carbon remove totally different contaminates, and GAC should be left running. Thoughts?

i ran a fluval405 packed with 8 bags of chemipure....took that off line after a week or so after the bio-pellets. i was only using the chemipure because the water appear to be clearer with it running (prior to the bio-pellets) but after a week i took the fluval off line and the water is still crystal clear.....oh btw i clean the glass less often now....once to twice a week vs every to every other day.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

I find that carbon n GAC act like mechanical removal filter anyway as water n DOC's pass thru it, hence thats why they have to be clean or removed/replenished. Whats BRS motivation? To sell!

Personally I do no use carbon (unless I feel some sort of chemical contaminate has entered the tank) and I dont use any GAC's as the pellets are doin its job. Just my humble opinion.

Finally I hate cleaning that stuff, bad enough cleaning the skimmer n socks.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
19 days in with the Warner Marine Ecobak pellets. I used a Precision Marine Reactor with plastic mesh instead of sponges.

So far not many noticeable difference. I stopped using GFO when I started the pellets. Skimmer performance may have improved a bit but it's hard to tell.

I am trying to remain skeptical and avoid the placebo effect. Therefore you probably won't here me making too many observations of improvement. If I can maintain low phosphates over time and it's less maintenance and less expensive than GFO, I'll be happy. Otherwise they will be considered pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use GAC. GAC and Carbon are removing two different things. GAC can/will remove contaminants that Biopellets/bacteria can not remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I have no real problem with phos or nitrates, nitrates are under 5 and phos is not measurable. I do run a reactor but with the minimal 2 inches it needs of phosban. I was thinking of going to the pellets more of a precaution than any thing else.

if that's the case, i don't think you would see any difference at all. it will however help maintain those two parameters without the gfo.....so no more rinsing and spilling the bloody thing.
plus the pellets are "set and forget".....anything that make life easier is a huge plus for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: