stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
just finished my wc... all corals seem ok, but i lost all my star fish (serpent and reg. brittles). i would suggest that any planning to perform this treatment remove all starfish 1st.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
dave,

all my snails are still alive, not sure about the stomas. i dont see stoma in my tank on a regular basis. do you think i should have treated the tank? after all i didnt find any aefws...

-steve

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
In large quantities, yes they are bad. Killing them is even worse as they are extremely toxic and can kill everything in your tank. Best in those situations to vacuum them out as much as possible and then FWE. It lessens the amount of poison in the tank.

Kasei

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Everthing looks fine after 3x treatment. I left the medication in for 5 hrs, then ran carbon. After 8 hrs a 30gal WC was done. The fish are swimming and eating :). Only time will tell if I got all the FW;s

Seriously though, I suspect most of you SPS guys have acro flatworms. I would definitely dip any coral that has poor polyp extension or "STN". Mshur said the Tropic Marin Pro cure kills them on contact. You could freshwater dip but it really stress out the coral. Some guys on RC have reported that a cold saltwater dip will free them from the coral as well.

Keep in mind you can't see them on the coral in your tank.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
oh.... i thought you didnt dip that once, well i lost 90 percent of your bonsai and steve table, really suck, some of it still alive and hsowing polyp extention so few months maybe it'll be back. i want the procure so i can dip the corals.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
omg.. not your tort!!! I really want to see how this flatworm look like so i have something see and avoid it if possible. Anyone of you took pics of these on sps or well it came off?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tom I didn't take pics but even if I did you wouldn't be able to see them with my camera.

Good news, I took out a few corals that showed signs of being eaten and did a series of dips. I tried cold saltwater, cold freshwater, and a combination of 20x dosage of FWE/seachem reef dip. I didn't find any flatworms.
Looks like the mega in tank dosage of Flatworm exit worked for now.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Seriously though, I suspect most of you SPS guys have acro flatworms. I would definitely dip any coral that has poor polyp extension or "STN". Mshur said the Tropic Marin Pro cure kills them on contact. You could freshwater dip but it really stress out the coral. Some guys on RC have reported that a cold saltwater dip will free them from the coral as well.

Keep in mind you can't see them on the coral in your tank.

Rich this is a pretty scary statement considering how bad these things will f up your tank.

what were your warnings signs, and why did Dave find them when you guys did not?

Did anyone find a good thread for describing and how to kill them?

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
jhale said:
Dave, can you pinpoint when and where the flatworms came from?

j,

i think its pretty hard to pinpoint where he contracted the aefw's... you can really only speculate because they are hard to see and the fact that dave's a coral whore! the best thing is to take precaution. on all new corals i acquire i will now treat with inteceptor, fwe, tropic marin pro dip and iodine. the best thing is to also quarintine all new coral.

-steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: