Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Wow, thats awesome! How did you cut and glue them? What sort of glue did you use?
Josh, i used IC Glue, It took me some time. I was lucky that the stalk of the polyps was pretty big which made it alittle better then if it was a small polyp. I am going to see if one day i can take the time to let anyone that wants to see the tank and polyp can come up and see it. I've received some pm's of people asking me if i photoshop the two polyps together which was disappointing, but i understand that with the program anything is possible.

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
Very nice! I am sure many people have tried it but you were the one to pull it off. Nice job!

Do you know any of the science behind it. Is it like grafting a tree? Do you think any genetic material gets swapped?

I guess because they reproduce by splitting it the the "child" could be a bit of both colors. I wonder if there is a way to encourage both colors to slit off together when it reproduces?

Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Very nice! I am sure many people have tried it but you were the one to pull it off. Nice job!

Do you know any of the science behind it. Is it like grafting a tree? Do you think any genetic material gets swapped?

I guess because they reproduce by splitting it the the "child" could be a bit of both colors. I wonder if there is a way to encourage both colors to slit off together when it reproduces?
Thanks for the compliment. I really have no science behind it. I was just truly bored and said what the heck.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That's cool. There was a thread on RC about this and some discussion here a while back about whether this could happen. I think it's important to note that you didn't just put two polyps next to each other - you actually grafted two polyps together (right?)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
That's cool. There was a thread on RC about this and some discussion here a while back about whether this could happen. I think it's important to note that you didn't just put two polyps next to each other - you actually grafted two polyps together (right?)
Yes.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Bad News:
As i was trying to separate this polyp from the others because of the other polyps being much larger were keeping the polyp from opening fully and started to show some serious stress, I decided to frag the polyp off the colony because there was no possible way i could remove all the other polyps without damaging the polyp. so it's done. I placed the polyp on it's own on a disc and placed it by it self in my frag tank. i will not light the frag for at least one day to let it set on the disc. i hope it does not blow off the disc and disappear

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I'm stressing this polyp. i think i might not go work tomorrow just to make sure the polyp don't fly away and hope it opens up

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Well as stupid as it may sound i stood home from work to try and get this polyp up and running...lol... and it looks like it's coming along on it's own. I'm just scare to place back in my display because with the high flow it might be removed off the disc. in may frag tank i am only lighting it with 2 t5's super actinic bulbs because it's the only coral in my 3'x2' frag tank and I'm not attempting to light it with my 400mh de light. i guess i might keep it in there for a week so to insure it attach?s to the disc before back to the display it goes.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
my polyp is still in my frag tank. since i removed it from the colony it has not been doing good. i will take a pic today when the lights come on

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: