• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes, but they won't have the screw top. or the built in inputs.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Shaun,

Thanks for chiming in - I thought you'd like that thread and find that it would be a real possibility - I am following the thread and he said he is adding a second chamber to it. I'd be curious on the output and would love to experiment with this. I am going see how much it would cost to make it a 2 or 3 chamber and see how we go from there.

Let me know if you think a 2 chamber would work.

House

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
My wife actually built one similar to it for her 46 gallons reef at our last reef club few years ago, I think all the parts with mag pump came out to be around $120, including the ARM to fill it but no CO2 equipment.

IMO it is too small for any tank bigger than 35 gallons, there is not enough media to meet a larger system's requirements. I think you should consider building something bigger if you are going to spend the money for the CO2 equipment (another $200+).

Jhale, you can buy the flanges at http://www.barraquatic.com/access.php

Brent does really good work and I think the $27 for a 6" set of flange is cheap consider the work involved. I couldn't make one set without spending over $100 in tools and material to make a template.

Do you guys want my wife to teach a DIY class? :D

PS. I have used CO2 from both welding supply shops and home beer brew places, can't tell the difference. You can rent the tanks from most places but they require a deposit that is about the same as buying the tank. The cheapest way is getting someone from a restaurant to "loan" you one from the soda fountain machine, like McDonalds. Tell them you will be more than happy to bring back the 20 Lb tank in about 12 months for a filled one.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
DAMN cali_reef - your wife makes DIY Ca reactors!! TOO COOL, your a lucky man!

Jim - I agree with cali_reef, the design is just too small for a tank of your size. I have found it is always better to oversize the equipment than the other way around. It just leads to problems! Maybe if it was 3 chambers, however the surface area across the ARM media in the first chamber compared to the CO2 present will always be the limiting factor in the reaction. So, it won't matter how many additional chambers you add, your Ca output will be capped with the 1st chamber. The additional chambers will just help decrease the amount of CO2 entering the tank from the reactor.

[ May 08, 2005, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: solbby ]

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Originally posted by jhale:
I want my own bottle with a ferrari logo on it.
It will be red and shiny.
It's completely possible!

here's a pic of my hard drive cases I painted ferrari red to match my ferrari laptop! (And my red stapler)

paint.jpg

acer-ferrari-350x330.jpg

milton_nervous.jpg

(just a bump for the thread!)

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
nice job bad coffee. What kind of paint did you use on teh laptop? i dont think regular spray paint would stand up to the use of a laptop

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The laptop has ferrari paint on it. I bought it that way. it's an acer ferrari 3200. (I upped the ram and put a better hd in it though)

I searched high and low and even called the ferrari dealer to see if I could get a little bit of paint for my hard drives. No go. Until I found a car modeling site. DuH. they paint small ferrari's all the time!

The closest match is Tamiya TS-49 bright red over a white primer. It's pretty close, but not exact. One of my hard drives was silver, one was white and you can tell the difference of the base coat. Now I just have to find someone who's getting their car clear coated so I can get my drives done cheap!

BC

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
BC you can get clear coat for cars in Pet Boys for $10 or go to a good auto parts store and ask for 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. They use it to cover scatches and repair the clear coat on cars. Some auto body shops will clear coat it for you for $20 bucks or so. Just ask nicely ;)

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Did anyone ever end up building this??? I'm thinking about doing it. It's within my budget and all if I take my time and piece it together over the next month or so.
-Kris
buy the time you get all thoise parts together you can buy an empty chamber with out the pump for around 225.00
IMO not worth the trouble

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: