• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A lot of spotfin butterflies were caught from LIRA collection trip at Hampton Bay last Sept., and I kept a few in my reef tank with other butterflies. They were active and eating like other butterflies, however, they only survived for several months while my other butterflies have been in my tank for more than a year. Here is the picture.

I will try it again if I can get some.

James

70922050.jpg

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Once again, your last year sightings makes me wondering why, every year, it's the spot fin not butterfies. What makes them show up so often while others are almost non existing.

A lot of spotfin butterflies were caught from LIRA collection trip at Hampton Bay last Sept., and I kept a few in my reef tank with other butterflies. They were active and eating like other butterflies, however, they only survived for several months while my other butterflies have been in my tank for more than a year. Here is the picture.

I will try it again if I can get some.

James

70922050.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Because they are the most common butterfly off the coast of Florida and the Caribbean. There are actually two other butterfly species that end up here as tropical strays, but they are much rarer - Chaetodon capistratus and Chaetodon sedentarius.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
After an arduous day of collecting myself and a few other reefers ended up with about 20 1" spotfin's. Some of them were as small as a half inch and a few were larger. I took a mix in sizes and after an hour in the tank they began to pick at the rocks. They looked at the cyclopeeze and mysis with interest but I don't think they ate the frozen food yet. I did see some of the smallest butterflies picking at the glass so I think they are eating the amphipods in the tank.

We spent a good five hours collecting and made at least 15 passes with the seine net in water up to our chests. PaulB would be proud. While walking backwards the trick was to keep a look out for the rather scarily large jelly fish in the water. During one pass we pulled out a pair of very angry blue crabs that were big enough to take off a toe. After that I was equally as nervous to walk through the eel grass and step on a crab as I was to get stung by a jelly fish. We were all wearing waterproof shoes or at least flip flops, there is no way you want to walk through the eel grass and rocks in bare feet. Also towards the end of the day it felt like something was biting my legs. It could have been the salt irritating some cuts form the eel grass, but it felt like something biting. Having seen some nasty looking isopods clinging to the net did not help my imagination at all. Just thinking of one latching on to my leg or some other part of me under the water was the final straw that made me stop collecting for the day. If you don't know what an isopod is have a look at this fun article, http://www.reefs.org/library/article/clarke_shimek.html

The variety of fish we saw was really interesting. With every pass there were lots of brown pipefish, a few black seahorses, and tons of small greenish brown wrasses. None of which were kept as they need much cooler water than out tanks could provide. Other local fish were one good sized fluke, small groupers, northern blowfish, lots of small black fish, and many baby barracudas. None of these were kept either as some are game fish and come under strict DEC laws. There were always silversides in each catch as well. At one point we netted a small shoal of them which were collected as food for some of the reefers tanks.

What we were really after were the tropical strays, which ended up being the butterfly fish and a few spiny box fish.I mentioned in another post that the coolest fish of the day were some coronet's we caught in one of the first passes. They are beautiful looking fish that appear related to the trumpet fish. They have long yellowish/green bodies with electric blue spots on their backs. I wish we could have saved them, however they grow to a huge size in the wild and will only eat small live fish, not easy requirements to fill for the average hobbyist. If we catch some in the future I was thinking of calling Atlantis Marine World and seeing if they wanted them. I felt bad releasing them knowing they were only going to die in the winter.

I was hoping to find some angel fish, but that did not happen. I'll try a different location in the next two weeks and hopefully some will appear. A blue tang was spotted but not saved. Someone yelled out they saw a blue angelfish and the hunt was on, later it was seen swimming away and the angelfish sighting was changed to a tang. All in all it was a fun way to spend one of the last days of summer at the beach, saving tropical fish, getting sunburned and having a nature trip all rolled into one. I hope to have good news to report on the butterflies growth. I'll be keeping some for myself and giving a few to other trusted reef keepers. As stated previously these are not fish to collect and keep if all you do is feed your fish flake food, which is not something you should be doing anyway.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I saw one of my smaller butterflies eat a flake today! :)

They are also DEFINITELY eating my corals. :sad2: So far the ones that they have picked at are large enough that it is not affecting the coral's health .... yet ..... I will continue to update. I've been having some trouble with my corals lately and they seem to be picking most on the ones that are already dying.

cb747

How many is too many?
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I lost one of the butterflies. I think my Dwarf Golden Moray ate it :( It was the smallest one. The other 3 are doing great. They chase after my frozen food and seem to be eating or at least picking on it. They also chased down some flake food but not sure if they ate it or not. So far so good :)

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I got the 4 smallest butterflies out of last weeks collection. I also got a 1/4" blowfish.
My smallest buterfly is smaller than a dime with the other three a little larger. Two of them are im my reef and two are in my local tank as they are too small and would be eaten. They are all eating new born brine shrimp and the 2 in the reef are also eating live blackworms. They enjoy pulling out the numerous spaghetti worms and playing with them but I don't think they are actually eating them. They are not intimidated by the much larger fish in the tank and swim out in the open most of the time.

I really wondered how strong these fish are surviving in that mud chemical filled water.

Wingo, that is my favorite place to collect water. I was even born there near Coney Island. It's great American water. :shhh:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I got the 4 smallest butterflies out of last weeks collection. I also got a 1/4" blowfish.
My smallest buterfly is smaller than a dime with the other three a little larger. Two of them are im my reef and two are in my local tank as they are too small and would be eaten. They are all eating new born brine shrimp and the 2 in the reef are also eating live blackworms. They enjoy pulling out the numerous spaghetti worms and playing with them but I don't think they are actually eating them. They are not intimidated by the much larger fish in the tank and swim out in the open most of the time.

Wingo, that is my favorite place to collect water. I was even born there near Coney Island. It's great American water. :shhh:

No wonder you are such a manly man as you can survie this mud chemical filled water.:tongue1:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No wonder you are such a manly man as you can survie this mud chemical filled water.:tongue1:

A shot of it every morning with breakfast does wonders.
Today I collected a bunch of shrimp at my marina. You want to see chemical impregnated water. I think I will run my boat on it as I believe there is more fuel in it than in gasoline

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my spotfin update, they are all alive and growing. I have no way of telling them apart so the growth is just a visual observation, I can't take them out and measure them. it looks like the larger ones have grown the most. I'm supplementing their mysis diet with different kinds of pellets now as well.
They are still schooling together but I noticed this week they have begun chasing each other around the rock work. This might be caused by the ocilaris clown that chases them away from her spot in the rocks, they are pretty calm till she charges into them.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
All of my tropical strays have ich pretty bad. Most likely due to the temperature of the tank (68 F) because none of my local native fish have it. All are eating great though. Since most of the fish are large enough to move into my reef now anyway, I'm going to treat for ich and transfer them to the warmer tanks.

My spotfins have grown quickly and haven't been schooling for a couple of weeks. The larger spotfins definitely pick on the smaller /weaker spotfins. So far they are mainly eating mysis since I feed so much of it daily. When they are seperated from the seahorses and pipefish I'll have the opportunity to offer other foods more frequently.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: