• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
2801269515_e5052f6d43.jpg

We caught these bad boys while out locally collecting. They are Spotfin Butterflies (C. ocellatus). As caveat, I knew that they were locally available as tropical stray and I did some reading on them before I decided to take them home. They are supposedly pretty difficult to keep and Fenner in the wet web media guide said that it was largely because of shipping stress. I figured that by locally collecting, I would eliminate a lot of the stress of shipping. I added them to my tank immediately to further minimize the stress of shipping/quarantine since I don't have long term quarantine setup. (Note: this was probably a very bad idea, but I was willing to accept the possible consequences. Two people carefully inspected them for external parasites, isopods and hookworms before I kept them. )

I am happy to report that they are swimming around in a little school. They have already eaten both cyclopeez and mysis shrimp. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them eating as they grow up (the largest of these fish is smaller than a 50 cent coin).

For those who have the idea to keep these themselves, be aware that the chances of them eating your tube worms and nipping at your corals is high - so that is the chance you have to be willing to take. Specifically, most web site say that they'll nip on softies and/or gorgonians, but I would guess that they'll nip on SPS just like many other Chaetodon species. Though these guys probably have never seen coral before so who know how they will react!

PS: Before the tang/angel/bufferfly police go all Sean Penn on me, they are SO small right now I wanted to put them in a smaller tank to properly monitor their eating and progress. They'll be moved to my larger tank in about a week as my upgrade is finally (almost) ready! :bunny:

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
congrats on the new babies, so to speak.

I see lots of them these couple years. Have anyone ever think they may have actually spawned here too?

The theory that they are only coming from a stream stray may be faulted. There are thousands of different spieces out in the south but only couple of this tropical ones are seen more often than the others here. People have kind of confirmed that lionfish are actually spawning here, so logically some other kind of tropical fish may be able to adapt to our local waters too. Survival of the fittest screen out those that cannot take the stress of being swap up here and the colder weather while the ones that can adapt(may be even spawning here) are seen more often in abundance. The quantity of these buftterfies are too many for me to believe they are carried by the current here alone.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
congrats on the new babies, so to speak. I see lots of them these couple years. Have anyone ever think they may have actually spawned here too?

Their range is definitely much farther to the south of us. We've pulled up a ton of them and I took the absolute largest one we saw - which is less than the size of a 50 cent piece. If they were spawning here, we should see adult fish too not just tiny ones.

I think the spiny box puffers might spawn here as well as arrive as tropical strays. We've pulled up mostly small ones, but Dom and I saw one that had to be at least 8" long the other day. That's definitely not a tropical stray.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
They are about a reef safe as the Auriga Butterfly fish. If they just pick at the softies and gorgs, I'm cool with it - I've found that the photosynthetic gorgonians especially regenerate their tissue quickly and my softies are so big that I wouldn't much notice a little picking. I knew that they might cause me problems before I took them though.

Their absolute maximum recorded size is 8", but most in the wild range from 3-6".

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
It is has been researched and it is understood that the pelagic fry come up in pockets of warm water with the gulf stream.

I am not tryting to dis-prove anyone here but just that I am thinking(may be, too wishful a thinking) there may be a chance of these beautiful fish doing the same thing as the lionfish. the keyword in my statement is "TOO". I definitely agree they mostly come from the stream but may be, just a may be, they also adpted to our water too. sighhh, I have to stop watching sci-fi movies, hearing too much parasites, bacteria and aliens thriving in foreign territories.

BTW, the largest one I have seen is over 2" and in the mostly unlikely water of Colony Island. Well, it could be also a stray anyway. I really wondered how strong these fish are surviving in that mud chemical filled water.

Many fish adults do not live close to thier spawns. Mangroove forest house thousands of different kinds of frys but hardly any adults in close proximity.

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I am not tryting to dis-prove anyone here but just that I am thinking(may be, too wishful a thinking) there may be a chance of these beautiful fish doing the same thing as the lionfish. the keyword in my statement is "TOO". I definitely agree they mostly come from the stream but may be, just a may be, they also adpted to our water too. sighhh, I have to stop watching sci-fi movies, hearing too much parasites, bacteria and aliens thriving in foreign territories.

BTW, the largest one I have seen is over 2" and in the mostly unlikely water of Colony Island. Well, it could be also a stray anyway. I really wondered how strong these fish are surviving in that mud chemical filled water.

Many fish adults do not live close to thier spawns. Mangroove forest house thousands of different kinds of frys but hardly any adults in close proximity.

That's actually an interesting point. From what I understand the lionfish that were spawning here were captive releases and everything died off when the water cooled. I haven't done any detailed research on it though.

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hope more tropical species takes up home in the NY area water. How cool would it be to have another great barrier reef right out side of NYC?

Those are really cool looking critters you got, congratulations.

Yili

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
That would be cool but remember this is NYC, the newly formed TriBorough Barrier Reef would be dimminished within hours because of irresponsible fish keepers and people looking to profit. Would you park your BMW on Hunts Point Avenue on a Saturday night at 3:15 in the morning? Same concept.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That would be cool but remember this is NYC, the newly formed TriBorough Barrier Reef would be dimminished within hours because of irresponsible fish keepers and people looking to profit. Would you park your BMW on Hunts Point Avenue on a Saturday night at 3:15 in the morning? Same concept.

Well, the point is moot since the waters here are too cold for tropicals to live for any length of time. :happysad: However, I think that's a little unfair. IF there were a "Triborough Barrier Reef", you could bet there would be very stringent guidelines for a capture of tropicals like we see in Hawaii and Florida.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
True too cold. But Elle, I dont think thats an unfair statement. Theres rules and punishments for jacking cars and that dont stop people. I think whether there are guidelines or flat out prohibition of collecting near or at the TBR its still not gonna stop some shmuck from doing it.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
PS: Before the tang/angel/bufferfly police go all Sean Penn on me...

Thanks for the laugh, boards been a little to serious, and good luck with them.

George, I don't think there's the same market for fish/corals as stolen cars/parts. Plus to pull this off you'd need boats, dive gear and a place to keep them once they're up; to much work for those types.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Lissa, thats an awesome catch. I guess i should just go to the water and look for strays even if i know i wont take it. Just for the thrill of finding anything different in the water. Cool catch.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I love going out collecting just to look and see what we catch! There are some awesome things in the ocean right here. :)

Something weird I noticed today - the three butterflies have been sort of schooling with my lamarck angelfish. They followed her around for a while this afternoon. I read that sometimes Lamarck Angels school with similar fish in the wild, but these guys aren't even similar to her! :lol2:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
fosterparenthood

or may be

fosterchildrenhood

quote=ellebelle;487054]I love going out collecting just to look and see what we catch! There are some awesome things in the ocean right here. :)

Something weird I noticed today - the three butterflies have been sort of schooling with my lamarck angelfish. They followed her around for a while this afternoon. I read that sometimes Lamarck Angels school with similar fish in the wild, but these guys aren't even similar to her! :lol2:[/quote]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: