• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

minime":381ba9eh said:
Hey, I just noticed, now we can see when people joined the board down to the hour and minute! :P

Plus you can see the percent posts in their most active forum (95% for me in the Sump), and their most active thread. I love statistics.

A

Anonymous

Len":3hqz8rg2 said:
Keep the suggestions coming. We're looking into all of it. FWIW, the right-sided metadata (e.g. profiles) seems to be the way most things are going. Left-sided metadata is what we're all used to but seems to be phasing out.

Not that I don't believe you, but I don't belong to any forums where the metadata is on the right side. I'm not sure any of them have upgraded that recently, but my guess is these programmers will get a bunch of push back from all these forums if they every upgrade and change the sides. As others have said, since we read left to right, it only makes sense to put it on the left. I'm curious as to what their rational is for moving it.

moimoimoi

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucolic Buffalo":2bjhujax said:
What! Are we friggin-left handed now? The avatars are on the wrong side. :? :? :?

Wrong? I thought that on your side of the Atlantic ocean, "right" was "right" (as in driving on the right side) while the other side was wrong. So now avatars are on the right side... :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaintGuru":2ezv7q9c said:
minime":2ezv7q9c said:
Hey, I just noticed, now we can see when people joined the board down to the hour and minute! :P

Plus you can see the percent posts in their most active forum (95% for me in the Sump), and their most active thread. I love statistics.

Heh. I would like to see that (I'm reckoning 99.9% for me in the Sump), but for some reason it's not showing up on my profile. It seems to for some and not others. I wonder if it's anything to do with having deleted the forum's cookies?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaintGuru":2djukgmr said:
This only works for certain people I noticed, maybe those with less than 10k posts?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another thing I noticed, clicking on a link takes me away from reefs.org? Yikes!

Granted at least it doesn't mark all posts as read when you leave but jeeze.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any word on a skin? this color scheme actually makes me nauseous.

B

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to be instantaneous, but we're working on it (at least the colors).

FYI: the current color scheme is almost the same as the old phpBB2 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore Bingo. He just prefers skin tones. Color doesn't matter, really :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaintGuru":18z83v4m said:
Len":18z83v4m said:
Keep the suggestions coming. We're looking into all of it. FWIW, the right-sided metadata (e.g. profiles) seems to be the way most things are going. Left-sided metadata is what we're all used to but seems to be phasing out.

Not that I don't believe you, but I don't belong to any forums where the metadata is on the right side. I'm not sure any of them have upgraded that recently, but my guess is these programmers will get a bunch of push back from all these forums if they every upgrade and change the sides. As others have said, since we read left to right, it only makes sense to put it on the left. I'm curious as to what their rational is for moving it.
Yeah, on a couple of BB's I frequent, the admins have done software upgrades and the metadata remained on the left.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":nqrmu58k said:
It's not going to be instantaneous, but we're working on it (at least the colors).

FYI: the current color scheme is almost the same as the old phpBB2 8O

It is similar. I don't think a big change needs to be made. But something about the choice of colors seems washed out.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signatures are part of the content body, so we can't make different colors for them. We can make the background shading more distinct between the posts so people are better able to tell when one post ends and another begins.

Keep the suggestions coming, but be specific. "I don't like the colors" doesn't help me :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most helpful specific comment (i.e. other than the comments I'd like to make about personal preference) is that you need to find a way to get the title banner better organised and, for want of a better (i.e. real) word, impactful. It is, after all, your corporate brand and should be what stays with people when they leave. The "Reefs.org Forums" title needs to be bigger and centered, with an eye-catching font (but not too flashy, you want to give the impression of expertise and gravity, not fly-by-night frivolity). The sub-headings underneath it also need to be bigger and to stand out from the blue background better. Though my final comment would be that the blue banner is good as a color in itself.

Now onto the gripes...

For some reason, none of the commands/functions are working in this box. When I click on emoticons or bold/italic etc, nothing happens. To the extent that, when I tried repeatedly earlier, I was thrown out of internet explorer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other gripe. For some reason, I can't highlight text with my mouse (for example when wanting to render a word already typed into italics/bold etc). The function still works on other sites. Strange...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":tz6ehqbc said:
Signatures are part of the content body, so we can't make different colors for them. We can make the background shading more distinct between the posts so people are better able to tell when one post ends and another begins.

Keep the suggestions coming, but be specific. "I don't like the colors" doesn't help me :P
Blueish sliver= blaggghhhh

Make it green, yeah, green.... :twisted: :wink:

:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah, the color is fine, people just need to get used to it (I already am :P). But increasing the contrast between posts _would_ help.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the suggestions coming. Len and I are going to work on tweaking the theme to make it better. I do agree that it seems a bit washed out and and bit more contrast would be nice.

I'm also going to see what I can do to allow people to embed youtube videos in their posts. What I'd like to be able to do is to allow people to posts links to youtube videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60jof35WuAo

And right underneath the link we show the video. There's ways to do it as I've already done it on Advanced Aquarist's site.

Shane

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":begzqqm1 said:
One other gripe. For some reason, I can't highlight text with my mouse (for example when wanting to render a word already typed into italics/bold etc). The function still works on other sites. Strange...

For some reason, none of the commands/functions are working in this box. When I click on emoticons or bold/italic etc, nothing happens. To the extent that, when I tried repeatedly earlier, I was thrown out of internet explorer.

Which browser are you using? It's working perfectly on my IE and Firefox.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: