partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone
I have sand as my substraight in my 36 gallon tank. I want to get a fish that will help keep my sand clean and stir the top layer a little. I was thinking corys but I have crs and dont want the corys to go after any babies they may have. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Patrick

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have heard of Loaches being used since a lot of them bury. You may run into the same problem of eating baby shrimp though. Maybe some type of snail? I wouldn't rally worry about the baby shrimp once the Java Moss gets going though. I used to have tons of baby Amanos in my tank that was packed with Java Moss. There were all kinds of corys in there too. They may pick a few off but plenty should survive too.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
For the clams they say 1 per 6" square inches of sand. You would have to figure out your footprint and go from there. Since it's still a new tank you may want to go a bit light on them though seeing as they are filter feeders. Maybe 1/2 now and add every few weeks?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I have heard of Loaches being used since a lot of them bury. You may run into the same problem of eating baby shrimp though. Maybe some type of snail? I wouldn't rally worry about the baby shrimp once the Java Moss gets going though. I used to have tons of baby Amanos in my tank that was packed with Java Moss. There were all kinds of corys in there too. They may pick a few off but plenty should survive too.

Most loaches harass and even eat adult shrimps not just babies. I have not ever seen cories go after adult shrimps but we feared (i.e not sure) they may suck up eggs or larvae. Some shrimps are born to shrimplet bypassing the larvae stage, those are safer to be with cory

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I should have qualified that if he were to consider it, Kuhli Loaches would have been the ones to try out. Any of the bigger ones and you would be right, they would be dining on shrimp before long.

Kuhli are my favorite for years! I lost the last one a year ago and I have not seen them for sale(may be I don't browse LFS as often as before) for over 2 years locally.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Cories are a no no for the dwarf shrimp that we keep. malaysian trumpet snails maybe what you need for your sand. I used to have them when I had my shrimp tank with sand to keep the substrate stirred. There is definitely no dwarf shrimp safe(well for the shrimplets) sand sifter out there.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: