bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yah, if you get a chance stop by Manhattan Aquariums (vendor here) they have a very large & nice cichlid tank and you can get some ideas there, too.

R

reefmaniac

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey if you are ever around Staten Island or NJ, I have a nice sized box of plants, rocks and a nice piece of driftwood you could have. There is some slate in there as well to make some nice flat shelves.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
hey Bris, I went down to manhttan aquariums and realized i know the place. i used to go by but stopped because i was into freshwater and they tend to not have much in the way nor much interest in that particular area. the first two guys as i figured told me they didn't know much and don't sell africans but one of the gentlemen went the extra mile to get a guy from downstairs to help me. uphill from here. he anwered my ques and searched the store and basement until we found guys small enough for my tank.he texted his (boss?) to give me a deal and told me about tankmates ect. he did most of the work long before he knew i would buy.just to educate me. i like that.knowing i was on a budget he looked out and i bought two fish and a few supplies. will definitely recommend and visit again.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
yah I pm'd reef I'm going to SI today I'll grab that stuff for you and you can pick it up from me in Queens and save yourself the extra toll and mileage.

What new fish did you get? Where's the pics mannnn! LOL I used to take pics in the bag because its the easiest way..they don't have anywhere to swim out of the shot lol

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
hey Bris, I went down to manhttan aquariums and realized i know the place. i used to go by but stopped because i was into freshwater and they tend to not have much in the way nor much interest in that particular area. the first two guys as i figured told me they didn't know much and don't sell africans but one of the gentlemen went the extra mile to get a guy from downstairs to help me. uphill from here. he anwered my ques and searched the store and basement until we found guys small enough for my tank.he texted his (boss?) to give me a deal and told me about tankmates ect. he did most of the work long before he knew i would buy.just to educate me. i like that.knowing i was on a budget he looked out and i bought two fish and a few supplies. will definitely recommend and visit again.

Glad it worked out for ya.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Trigger thanks!! i completely appreciate that! As for the fish i studied the list you gave me extensively!i found a site cichlid forum.com and they have a brief african genus gallery which helped me identify by site the guys you recommended. you picked some winners AND you was right about the bad boy of the bunch. manhattan aquariums didn't have any of them for sale but all of the ones you mentioned in display(and thanks to you i was able to identify most of them or their behavior,the guy though i was a pro-which we know isn't close to true)
that being the case i went off list and got two juvie frontosas. i have been in love with them forever. i may have a male and female and i know they get big,but i have to have them. and they were rated as mildly aggressive.they were with the other guys with no problem and as i will not be going over 20 fish there will be room in the tank.
i will get some pics of them today and plan on getting the other guys you mentioned. the Calvus grows slow but i looove how they look.i need some other stores to look into,so if you have any suggestions let me know. i need little guys except for the calvus as they take an eternity to grow,lol

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Frontosas are nice. There was a guy out in BKLN that had some tanks in the basement of a pizza shop or something that was breeding them years ago. Slowly the people I've met and tanks I've seen over the years is coming back :)

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The Frontosas kind of ruined the idea I had for you, just didn't post fast enough! I had a Neo. Brichardi species tank and it was awesome! It's a great study for a class too since as the parents have new generations of babies, the previous generations of offspring all pitch in to raise them. Awesome fish. I also had another mixed African tank with mostly the calmer Africans. My favorite in there was my huge and beautiful male OB Peacock and my little pair of Lamp. Occelatus. They had such personality. They are a shell-dwelling species and they would bite the bejeezus out of me everytime I got near their shells. At least they thought they did but they were too small to really bother me.

I like triggermans list of fish for you but I think I would leave the Tropheus out. They have always been one of the harder Africans to keep. Although I haven't had an African tank in at least 10 years so things may have changed. I would also say look into the Julidichromis family. Very nice looking fish and they are pretty hardy too. Good luck with your tank, there need to be more teachers like you out there that are willing to go the extra mile to get their kids excited about learning!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Btw those stick on external thermometers are no good.Use an internal one instead, like this one cost about $2.99
images
or this one but cost more more though.
images

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
thanks howze!! sorry ,you didn't get to me in time,hopefully the tank will be fine. thank you for the info,the rest of the list seems to be fine with fronts...i think. i'm working at it slowly.

Dre thanks for looking out,i have a digital thermometer. The one on the tank came with the tank and i just left it on. If you see any mistakes in the future or room for improvements,please let me know.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
trigger posting some pics up now. as for the fronts,i know but couldn't resist!!! there's only two so i figure it'll be ok(?) at least for a while. from the reseach i did on your fish,they seem to get along with them. thanks for the help on the calvus. i've ony come across one lfs that has a variety of young africans.. a full grown calvus is still not very big correct?

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
frontosas....one loves to hide in the rockwork

Attachments

• 2011-05-20_19-12-38_773.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-12-38_773.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2011-05-20_19-12-22_616.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-12-22_616.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-05-20_19-12-14_313.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-12-14_313.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2011-05-20_19-11-58_94.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-11-58_94.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 2011-05-20_19-11-36_588.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-11-36_588.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 86

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Attachments

• 2011-05-20_19-30-49_122.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-30-49_122.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 2011-05-20_19-31-14_397.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-31-14_397.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2011-05-20_19-31-22_269.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-31-22_269.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2011-05-20_19-31-41_929.jpg
    2011-05-20_19-31-41_929.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 87

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: