• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I been slapped, punched and kicked in the face over and over!#1 reason that I only deal with close nit friends on here and I never sell or give stuff away anymore...I'm an extremely genourous guy that goes above and beyond to help a fellow reefer out and many who dealt with me know the kind of guy I am! And to the people that do the stated obvious SHAME ON YOU! This is a hobby not a small part time business you grow in you tank...and you know who your are!

You are correct to a point. But there is a fine line between hobby and business. If someone can make some money in a hobby that is not called business. That money goes right into the hobby.

Every hobby does this, collector cars, watches , baseball cards etc.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You gave the frags to someone. They are his now. If he sells them or grows out then sells them. There is no difference.

I have seen people throw away free frags. Same thing. Kinda insulting to throw away though.

On the other hand all frags that I got for free was because of a purchase. I usually do not expect free frags for the same reason.

Interesting perspective and I also agree that once it has been given away that it is no longer yours! However if someone offered me a frag I didn't want I would simply say ( even if it was not true ) I already have that ! But thank you very much, I would not take it to flip a quick buck and make a mockery of a persons good heart , I love nothing more than to look into a fellow reefers tank and see or know that he turned my simple frag into a beast ! And if he sells from it at that point then good for him or her.

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Interesting perspective and I also agree that once it has been given away that it is no longer yours! However if someone offered me a frag I didn't want I would simply say ( even if it was not true ) I already have that ! But thank you very much, I would not take it to flip a quick buck and make a mockery of a persons good heart , I love nothing more than to look into a fellow reefers tank and see or know that he turned my simple frag into a beast ! And if he sells from it at that point then good for him or her.

So lying is OK but honestly selling the frag for couple bucks and buying something else in hobby is not?

Rating - 100%
576   0   0
You are correct to a point. But there is a fine line between hobby and business. If someone can make some money in a hobby that is not called business. That money goes right into the hobby.

I dint think is wrong to make a quick buck specially if is going back into ur reef as a coral, fish , equipment or whatever but to try and make it even the same week u got the frag?? I have traded way too many zoas cuz that what im more into and i trade nice frags just to see 1 or 2 of those polyps for sale the same week (2days after)
I think this is what we r talking about that is wrong. But if u let it grow and then sell it good for u.
Is always gonna happen but is more the principle of simply waiting a few weeks before selling it

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
So lying is OK but honestly selling the frag for couple bucks and buying something else in hobby is not?

The difference is that that little white lie allowed me to leave the unwanted coral in the tank for a new reefer perhaps an the respect stayed intact and I didn't take what you could of sold for free and made money on it! That's a respectable difference! Considerate of the generosity and of the hobbies moral values.

My reputation as a stand up reefer is never in question cause I don't flip frags on anyone.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
What I tell people is, if you can't stomach what can possibly happen to your goodwill, then don't bother with the goodwill. It's just not worth the slighted feeling or the burn.

And from what I see, this behavior is quite prevalent here.

As wise as you always have been widdy your dead on once again , it is in fact alive and rampant as it is repulsive and aggravating , bottom line ..... If you condone it , you just may be a flipper as well!!! ( not you widdy )

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0

Understandable and agreed..my problem with it is you buy a cluster of zoa's from with all intentions of fragging the crap out of it to sell and make a profit from 2 days after buying it.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
indeed! not worth torturing yourself - your conscience is clear that you did a generous deed. that's what set you apart and at a higher standard as a true hobbyist. :beer:

Thanks bro , I appreciate that ! Just hope these things stop happening sooner than later cause it's a very selfish practice that ultimately can give this hobby a black eye! .

Despite this issue we do have many reefers here and abroad that open their homes and tanks to eachother for the sake of this expensive and at times frustrating hobby , to all of you that do saltwater the right way ... My hat goes off and I thank you all.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I can say I have never done that with coral - I have a newer system and need all I have! In fact anyone that wants to throw me a few - let me know!!! With that said - I have done that with equipment. Being new in the hobby - I have made purchases I regretted or found out in the long run I would not need - like or use. I bought a complete set up to find out 75% would not work for what I wanted so I sold some off. I don't see a problem with that. For that matter I have bought brand new stuff and sold it at a loss from not knowing or doing my homework.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I can say I have never done that with coral - I have a newer system and need all I have! In fact anyone that wants to throw me a few - let me know!!! With that said - I have done that with equipment. Being new in the hobby - I have made purchases I regretted or found out in the long run I would not need - like or use. I bought a complete set up to find out 75% would not work for what I wanted so I sold some off. I don't see a problem with that. For that matter I have bought brand new stuff and sold it at a loss from not knowing or doing my homework.

Ahhhhhh but like you said!! You purchased the setup , my harp is with free items that one turns around a day or two later and sells!!!!

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
132   0   0
It all depends on the circumstance. If you gave a free coral bcoz you "need room" then u shouldn't care if they sell it.

On the other hand, if you gave someone who claimed they suffered a loss or can't afford it, and then u see it for sale,then that's just grimy!

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
It all depends on the circumstance. If you gave a free coral bcoz you "need room" then u shouldn't care if they sell it.

On the other hand, if you gave someone who claimed they suffered a loss or can't afford it, and then u see it for sale,then that's just grimy!

I can agree with that also !! I have seen a friend give away equipment to a new guy just to feel good he was helping a new starter in the hobby , only to see this exact piece of equipment for sale on Craigslist !! Turns out that's what this dude did to a lot of people on other forums!

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This thread makes me not want to give anything away for free anymore. Even though there are people who look for freebies to resell. In my experience the number of generous people out way the scavengers.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This thread makes me not want to give anything away for free anymore. Even though there are people who look for freebies to resell. In my experience the number of generous people out way the scavengers.

By all means do not take this thread as a bad sign or a reflection of what we do as reefers, this forum Is a great place to trade and deal for the greater part , just a few people that can make things a bit aggravating and insulting , but don't stop being a generous reefer cause of my bad experience just make sure to check the reefers ratings and friend count , to me that says a lot about each of us.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: