• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
spykes said:
URI atinics are suppose to look purple and the colors are supreb, but that 2nd pic just looks like a regular D&D stuff.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/images/timeline/050331_full.jpg
is the VHO from URI
i hope they didnt F up.

I hope they didn't screw up either Dave. But my tank does NOT look anything like that one (colorwise).

The bulbs are very clearly labeled UV Lighting.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
TY Kasei, got it.

ALL BULBS ARE HERE. Intact and in one piece.

Fritz, we're all set for tomorrow.

I will be giving ALL bulbs to Fritz for ease of pickup, unless you make arrangements with me to do otherwise. He will have them in the Bronx for you.

LMK ASAP if you do NOT want Fritz to take your bulbs.

Thanks everyone,
Russ

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Bulbs are at my house (5th Avenue and Douglass Street Park Slope Brooklyn). I can deliver to most of ya. Challah at me.

The bulbs IMO are similar to the D&D Pure Actinic but bring out purple and orange much better.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
fritz said:
Bulbs are at my house (5th Avenue and Douglass Street Park Slope Brooklyn). I can deliver to most of ya. Challah at me.

The bulbs IMO are similar to the D&D Pure Actinic but bring out purple and orange much better.

are they really because it doesnt seem purple to me. pure atinics from D&D are pretty purple compared to the new atinics.

in russ's picture they look very much like the blue + just brighter.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I think that they look (staring at the bulb directly) very close to the Pure Actinic. The tank looks very similar except IMO it brings out a truer orange whereas under the Pure Actinic my orange caps looked closer to a neon pink.

Mike, I'm running them on an Icecap 660 whereas Russ runs them off of the standard workhorse ballast in the tek fixture. So my color is probably different then his. From what I remember this morning his bulbs didn't seem as deep a blue as mine are now. I also don't have the ability to run just the actinic on a 660. When Russ' two actinics were on it looked pretty true to what we see under a URI VHO. (Plus his tank looks great which doesn't hurt either.)

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
i think actinic looks different on ic-660 compare to regular ballast.i will try it tommorow on regular ballast. i am re-wirering all my t-5 set up.
i got new ic reflectors and new 10 k bulbs..

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Fred, thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed hanging with you. Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to try to overdrive these bulbs also. However, I'm not looking to change out my whole TEK fixture. I guess it is what it is and I can't do anything about the actinics. Crossing my fingers that they'll burn in to my liking :rolleyes:

swimmer

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Well I think they look great. When I get my camera back on Sunday I'll take some pics of my tank with the overdriven bulb. Enjoyed hanging with you as well and thanks again.

Mike, which reflectors were you using before? The Icecap reflectors arer great (IMO) but watch the heat with the plastic clips. If you overdrive the bulbs you'll melt the clips unless you have serious air circulation (which if memory serves you do.)
Also 10k!?? Your T5s are pretty high off the water and aren't you using a nice amount of MH? WHy the 10ks? You might like the 11ks they give a nice white light but are more like the old 50/50 bulbs. You'd probably like these new actinics even more. They're much closer to the URI VHOs. I think anyway,

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Fritz it's just Russ' statement when talking about T5 Lighting and the required reflectors. Each bulb has a very shiney, individual reflector bent around the light to optimize the output of the light.
Russ did I get that right?>

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Fritz it's just Russ' statement when talking about T5 Lighting and the required reflectors. Each bulb has a very shiney, individual reflector bent around the light to optimize the output of the light.
Russ did I get that right?>

:hug:

I think my rampage has caught on! :lol2:
You hit the nail on the head B.

R

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
:) Oh ha! I didn't know what you were responding to. Yes 100% it's all about the reflectors. Either Icecap (which I use) or SLR (available separately or with Tek reflectors) are supposed to be the best.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
fritz said:
Well I think they look great. When I get my camera back on Sunday I'll take some pics of my tank with the overdriven bulb. Enjoyed hanging with you as well and thanks again.

Mike, which reflectors were you using before? The Icecap reflectors arer great (IMO) but watch the heat with the plastic clips. If you overdrive the bulbs you'll melt the clips unless you have serious air circulation (which if memory serves you do.)
Also 10k!?? Your T5s are pretty high off the water and aren't you using a nice amount of MH? WHy the 10ks? You might like the 11ks they give a nice white light but are more like the old 50/50 bulbs. You'd probably like these new actinics even more. They're much closer to the URI VHOs. I think anyway,

i was using tek reflectors. i agree ic reflectors much better.the reason why i went with 10k,cause i do have 2 x400w radiums on hqi. the produce a lot of blue spectrum,420 nm. 11k bulb have 40% of blue spectrum there. i re-wire my t-5's last nite with new bulbs..i really like this combo what i have.. u welcome to come over. i think my corals will like it:)))
time will tell...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: