Not open for further replies.

hypostatic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I got one of these for my pump:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9ITQ0/?tag=reefs04-20

41lxZNp3FnL._SX385_.jpg

It works in lowering the flow a little bit, but not enough -- still to powerful for my tiny 16G

hypostatic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you tried it on your pump?

Yes, I have the dimmer plugged into the DC jack of the controller, and the power supply plugged into the dimmer.

The modulator/dimmer has an "off" setting that the knob clicks when it turns off. The dimmer is supposed to gradually change the power from 0% to 100%, which it would seem to do.

The controller, it seems, needs at least ~50% power to be turned on. So, on the dimmer, you have to turn the knob some distance past the "off" position in order to reach the power level where the controller turns on.

The dimmer works. When I turn the knob down I can feel that the strength of the pump decreases in all modes.

However, the minimum strength is still too strong for my personal tank; it still blew everything around more than I hoped (although it didn't rip my elegance out of the sand immediately).

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
110 tall' long

1 wp40
Middle of right glass pointed upward 35-40 degrees?

W2 with knob almost all the way to the right.

Oh yeah

45 gallon 24x18
1 Wp25
Left wall 3/4 up 1/4 from back wall
Pointing 40 degrees up toward opposite corner

W1 s1 knob in the middle

Last edited:

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
55 gallon
1 wp25
left side of tank 3/4 up middle of glass
angled 30* or so...
w1 s3 knob all the way to the right

Was thinking about putting in one of my aqueon 250's on the right side of the tank to help disperse the flow a little because middle of the tank over to the right gets the returning flow (pushing it to the left) after it hits off the wall and my bubble is not happy :( ...

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
It's the opposite. If you turn the dial to the left, it pulses quicker and shorter. If you turn the dial to the right, it's longer pulses.

Aim it up towards the water level (not too high! Just so you can get an idea. Or I stuck my hand in front of it to see how it worked.

On else mode, I believe the dial is useless.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what settings is everyone using?

Please post the following:
- tank size
- model and number of pumps
- positioning
- settings

120g
WP40
Side glass, towards back, with no obstructions
W1, Else

I took my MP20 out today after moving the WP so it wasn't obstructed by rock. I may or may not add it back in. I've also removed a Koralia 550 and 1050 (I think those were the numbers). As of tonight the WP40 is the only powerhead running.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
120g
WP40
Side glass, towards back, with no obstructions
W1, Else

I took my MP20 out today after moving the WP so it wasn't obstructed by rock. I may or may not add it back in. I've also removed a Koralia 550 and 1050 (I think those were the numbers). As of tonight the WP40 is the only powerhead running.

Looks like we going to see a lot of used powerheads for sale :tongue1:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Looks like we going to see a lot of used powerheads for sale :tongue1:

Ha ive got 4 koralia 750s and a red sea wavemaker. Replaced by two wp25s although I used my acIII instead of the wavemaker.

I switched my settings to w1 s2 and knob to the left I believe. We will see how that works out. Having internal weirs w external overflows rocks. Was worries about the wave at first as I have water level set to bottom of trim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: