morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
I am still trying to figure out the pick up on the nudis. Anyone from Queens is picking from Camanuch of Laurie C?

I am in Flushing, and it would be great if I can pick it up from someone in Queens, I don't have access to a car till later that evening.

Please let me know.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hey everyone. Are you getting excited yet. I know I am. I have to take thw day off from work to receive the nudi. This will give me a chance to work on my light and acclimate them to some fresh water and bag up everyones nudi's. I guess its the sacrafice I need to make for everyone. Also if any one has any frags they may want to trade by all means bring then with you. Mi casa, su casa. Lol

PetShopBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just saw this thread. Am I to late to order? Does anyone willing to sale few to me? I have a bad Aptasia problem.

The 7 or 8 aipstasias that I had in my tank seems to have mysteriously disappeared within the last two weeks. I can sell you 3 at cost which is 9.49 ea plus 3% for PP fees. The only problem is I am in Staten Island.

Madman05705

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is any 1 from Brooklyn or queens going to pick up there nudibranch today I wanted to see if some 1 can help me pick up mines n i would meet u where u live at, I'll pay half of ure toll fee plz pm me or u can call me at 718 314 0145 thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
acclimation and handling instruction

Berghia Acclimation

Tools needed:
1) Vinyl airline tubing ? 3/8 inch or smaller
2) Pipette (included with your Berghia)
3) Clean plastic pitcher or container of similar size and shape.
4) Bucket

When your Berghia arrive, look for any Berghia that may have crawled into creases of the plastic bag. They will crawl all over the bag, and they can get into the creases and be smashed as the bag is moved. They can be hard to see in the plastic bag too, especially if they are balled up, so be careful when moving and opening the bag.

Sometimes the Berghia are sluggish when they arrive. This does not mean they are dead. When they die there is no movement even after drip acclimation or they turn into a little pile of shapeless goo.
All Berghia are measured prior to shipping to insure they are the size your purchased. It is common for Berghia to lose some size in shipping. They will regain their size after they are acclimated to your tank and have eaten.

Begin Drip Acclimation Process
This method is geared toward sensitive reef inhabitants. You will need airline tubing and must be willing to monitor the entire process. You may also use a similar technique that does not require dripping. The basic technique involves adding very small amounts (an ounce or two) of your tank water to the Berghia bag every 5-10 minutes for 1-2 hours.
Gather a clean, 3 or 5-gallon bucket designated for aquarium use only and a clean plastic pitcher (clean of soaps and residues).
1. Start by floating the closed bag to acclimate water temperature for about 15 minutes.
2. Carefully open the bag.
3. Carefully place the Berghia bag in to a tall container like a plastic pitcher. Try to extend the sides of the bag up the inside of the pitcher. The water may in the end drip over the sides of the pitcher so you may want to put the pitcher in a bucket as well.
4. Using airline tubing, set up and run a siphon drip line from the main aquarium to the pitcher sitting in the bucket. Tie several loose knots in the airline tubing, or use a plastic or other non-metal airline control valve, to regulate flow from the aquarium. It is also a good idea to secure the airline tubing in place.
5. Begin a siphon by sucking on the end of the airline tubing you'll be placing into the bag in the pitcher. When water begins flowing through the tubing, adjust the drip by tightening one of the knots or adjusting the control valve to a rate of about 4 drips per second.
6. Watch the over the process carefully. Do not let the Berghia spill or float over the edge of the bag. The Berghia will sometimes float on the surface tension of the water while they are in small containers and they could float over the edge of the pitcher. They may also actively crawl around the bag during acclimation.
Since the Berghia have not eaten for close to 24 hours, you may try feeding them while they drip acclimate. Scrape a small or medium sized aiptasia off the glass or other smooth surface with a razor blade (or similar tool) and drop it into the bag with the Berghia. They may or may not eat. It?s a good idea (but not mandatory) to try this so they are fed before they go in your tank.

At the end of at least 1 hour and better yet 2 hours of acclimation, feed your fish and then turn off your lights, powerheads and pumps. You want no water movement in the tank during the time you place the Berghia in the tank. This will create the best environment for the Berghia to go in your tank and successfully grab onto the rockwork.

Don't try to handle the Berghia, they are very fragile. Use the pipette provided to suction the Berghia out of the bag one at a time. If they are attached to the bag dislodge them by gently blowing some water at them with the pipette.

Do your best to place the Berghia together on the rock work in your tank in an area that might be protected from your highest flow and near some aiptasia. Be careful not to drop the Berghia into the aiptasia mouth or so close to an aiptasia that is could lean over and grab the Berghia. Most of the time the Berghia will move into crevices and disappear from view within 5-10 minutes. Occasionally they stay out and begin eating an aiptasia. Either way, turn all of the pumps, powerheads and lights back on after 10 minutes.

You may notice a small, white, circular stand of eggs in your bag. Suck the eggs out of the bag using the pipette and place them in the rock work where the current is very low. If you are lucky, they will hatch for you.

Some Berghia are laying eggs at 1/4". All are laying them by the time they reach 1/2". They will typically grow to 1"-1 1/4" in size. You may or may not see them again once they are in your tank. They usually eat at night. The best time to spot your Berghia (using a flashlight) is about 2 hours after your lights have been off at night or in the morning before your lights come on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: