• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I need to buy more of these magnets. I use them to make my own powerhead brackets. They are great if prepared properly. The group discount is decent.

Here's a pic of the DC-6. That's the one I've been using and it works great:

DC6.jpg

On the right in this pic is my SEIO powerhead. I used four of these magnets to mount it, two on the inside and two on the outside:

6skimmerpumpseioheaterfromsideview.jpg

Here's some details of the magnets themselves:

DC6:

3/4" x 3/8"
Grade N38 - Nickel Plated
Poles on flat ends

Pricing from the website is:
1 for $2.40
5 for $11.40 (equals $2.28 each)
10 for $21.35 (equals $2.14 each)
25 for $49.80 (equals $1.99 each)
50 for $92.40 (equals $1.85 each)
100 for $170.00 (equals $1.70 each)

Here's the link to the website, scroll down to the DC6. You can order any other magnet from the site as well, just go by the pricing on the listing. Obviously we can split shipping. So depending on how many we order that's how shipping will be split.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

I will start the order with 8.

master: PAID
DC6
Qty: 16 (I made up the difference so we can get the 50 qty. discount)

house: Total paypal due = $12.52 PAID PICKED UP, Thank you Jim
DC6
Qty: 6

janey: Total paypal due = $20.12 PAID
DC6
Qty: 10

Hitsnorth: Total paypal due = $20.12 PAID Picked up by house
DC6
Qty: 10

Dannyl: Total paypal due = $16.32 PAID
DC6
Qty: 8

Deano: Total paypal due = $18.97 PAID Picked up by house
B666BR
Qty: 11

Aaron23: Total paypal due = $15.72 PAID
B666BR
Qty: 9

My paypal address is [email protected] PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, include your MR screename in your paypal payment.

Thanks everyone,
Russ

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
First post is updated. I'm not in a great rush for them, so we can keep this open until the end of the weekend. I'll ask for payment starting Monday morning so I know how many we've got ordered (which discount will apply) and how much shipping will be.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Ok, now for a less subtle BUMP lol.

Guys, if you've never used any rare earth magnets before, check these out. They are serious magnets. They are actually the exact same magnets that are used in the Algae Free Hammerhead Floating Magnet Cleaner.

My daughter was playing with two of them, putting one on one side of her FOREARM and the other on the other side of her FOREARM and they held together. Unfortunately, they are also dangerous because they slipped while she was fooling around with them and snapped together and pinched her skin giving her a nice scare and a small little clot. So caution with them is highly adviseable. But that's also what makes them such great DIY components.

Get'em while they're hot and cheaper too.

master

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
holy crap, those magnets are not toys, she's lucky they were relatively small.

I've used some of the larger one for jobs, it's scary how strong they are, you don't want your fingers anywhere near them!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Russ, I'm assuming the nickel-plating is SW-safe since you're already using them, but how did you mount them to the SEIOs? That's what I would use mine for if I ordered.

Dean

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
THEY ARE NOT SW SAFE. I made them SW safe myself. I took about one week to meticulously put multiple coats of 100% silicone on all exposed parts. Since you couldn't fully coat each magnet each time, you would have to do one side, and the circumference. Let dry. Then the opposite side and circumference. Let dry.

I let dry 24 hrs between each coating. That is excessive drying time, but I think you are all finding out I normally don't rush things. So by the time the last coat was applied I just took the SEIO supplied mounting bracket and siliconed the final coat with the bracket attached to the magnet.

I've done this with multiple SEIO's, including the 1500 in my 75 gallon, and it's worked flawlessly each time. The one I did on my 1500 was last June, and it's running just perfect.

A really cool benefit is this, when you want to mount or remove the powerhead, if it's in an unreachable or hard to reach place, just slide the outside magnets (in tandem) to a more convenient location for removing the powerhead. The powerhead with the attached magnets, just slides on the inside glass to the final resting place (outside magnets no longer moving).

Maybe we can work out some kind of trade and I can do some 'coatings' for you or others. I have to do my own, so doing a few more is no big deal. You all know the saying, 'I work for frags!'.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Deanos said:
Too bad they don't have the epoxy coated or plastic coated in the size you're ordering.

Tell me about it. I've already asked them to add my size to the pre-coated club, and they said maybe sometime down the road. They just added quite a few more, just not what I need.

No worries. It's worked this way for me in the past, and it'll continue to work till they make their updates.

Thanks for asking and giving the GB some life.

Russ

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Russ instead of silicone what about the plastic stuff they sell to dip your tool handles in? It should be reef safe, and you could do both sides at once :)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Nsr250NYC said:
you think those would hold seio 820s?

They are already holding a SEIO 820 in my tank. Besides, the 820 is smaller and lighter than the 1500 which it holds just fine.

I use 4 on each powerhead. Two inside the tank (silicone coated, as above) and two outside the tank.

LMK if you'd like to get in on the order. Also, if you do decide to join in, try to guesstimate how many more you might be able to find uses for. They are very very handy. This is about the 4th time I'm ordering. I keep finding uses for them.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Deanos said:
Russ, I think he means: Will the D84PC-BLK hold 820s?

:lol: :banghead:

That's pretty funny Dean. Not sure what it was that Forrest Gump said (see HOW stupid I can be).....stupid is as stupid gets......or something like that.

Anyway, I couldn't answer about that magnet with any kind of assurances. They are inexpensive enough to try though. At $.90 apiece + s/h you can't go wrong with 4 of them. Worth a try.

Russ

edit: Just noticed this quote:

The 1/2" x 1/4" dimensions are the finished dimensions of the plastic coating.

I'm still not sure, but I'd still say it's worth a shot. These are strong freakin' magnets.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I'm sure with enough of them, they'd be plenty strong for an 820. However, this statement scares me: "They are also completely weatherproof." :scratch:
Weatherproof is far from waterproof..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: