• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Very good Wingo - I am happy that you pointed out this potential problem. I would even add that it unsafe to put a lamp that gets 110V over a tank. Hopefully people will take a look into technical aspects of any LED lamp rather than just price.

PS

Pacific Sun owners - please take a look at your drivers - 24V getting to your lamps.

Response in RED

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Typically, the LED's are driven using a current driver circuit. The driver circuit regulates current.(Unfortunately, many of such design failed in real life environment-you may want to check what happen when such a driver is overloaded/overheated) The power supply regulates the voltage. A lot of commercially available power supplies have variable input AC from 90VAC to 240VAC. The primary side (AC) is rectified and converted to DC using, most commonly, a pulse width modulation technique(I am not aware of PWM used to rectify ac to dc before-please email me how this is done.) Variation in line voltages does not have significant effect on output voltages since the control loop is usually fairly tight. That being said, the current drivers to the LED's take the stable, DC output voltage and supplies current to the actual LED's. The current is regulated via pulse width modulation but, the maximum current is accounted for by a current setting resistor on the driver boards.
The overheating of the PFO Solaris cards is not due to overpowering the diodes. The issue stems from the lack of thermal grease used during initial manufacture and during repair of the LED strips. The securing screws that holds the LED boards also can back out due to vibration in the fixture. The air gaps caused by the above two scenario's causes overheating and failure of the LED's. (I made LED bars upto 90W without any fans and very little metal to act as heat sink and survived over 2 years-the couple ones having issues are either salt creep or plainly the circuit over driving them when one circuit got disconnected for whatever reason.)
In early versions of the Solaris unit, PFO used thermal grease as the diode slug interface to the circuit cards. The grease wasn't alway applied evenly causing diode overheating. Later versions of the light strips had better adhesion to the circuit cards with both solder and thermal epoxy.(Because the lense used in Solaris can pulled the leds out. In the market, most LED lights use ONLY soldering to adhere the bulbs-I personally tried on couple Solaris bought to service, simply by touching the lense, the LEDs legs and soldering will be stressed to a dangerous level) Those boards seem to be highly reliable when proper thermal grease spread is achieved at the circuit card to heatsink interface.
The actual LED data produced by the lighting manufacturer's shows very good reliability. The reliability improvements of the later Soloris is due a host of changes including, different material used, power supplied used, mounting technique and may be also the controller/driver electronics which I have not had the chance to investigate.

Food for thought, Mark

I fully aware what you are saying but the real life experiments do not always correspond to designs on paper or thoery. Many design of constant current drivers do always work the way you would want/expect them to be.

I designed, purchased, serviced and recalled some design which are supposingly constant current drivers but they failed in the NY settings.

One project I did in Dr. Wagner's fully DMX controllable LED tank, the early adoption of constant current drivers blown out some of his LEDs twice. I added more LEDs and pack even more LEDs to a denser area and upgraded to couple more costly constant drivers and they did not blow ANY LEDs since then. I even change a little bit in the DMX programming to make the light do more changes during the day(kind of stress test it.)

I would like to use a quote from the Minister of Energy from England, " The success of LED depends on DRIVE RESPONSIVELY."

To know if a product is good enough, only time can tell. Theory does not always work. However, if the price is at a level where we can afford to make the calculated bet(like what Warren did), I would go for it too. The level of price that we can afford depends on our income and willingness.

Last edited:

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
the issue was about electricity from a driver to led lamp and spikes that may cause damage to the leds.

what do you have to turn off? you run T5 for 2yrs. nothing to turn off.

WOW, I better turn all my lights off and take them off the tank..

Come to think of it, I have all these 110V AC pumps in and around my tank, am I doomed?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Wow, lots of posts and drama :fishhit:

Did I mention that I like my Pac Sun lights :)

drama is what people love.
it's kinda funny to me that the people who actually have the fixtures have only good things to say about the pac sun. yet the ones who don't have them don't like or have issue with them.
that said, i don't have one so i don't like those who do.....including you kuyamark.....lol.
note...mod., don't edit my post ...mark and i are friends, he knows i'm joking.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I'm glad we are back to showing love and support!

And BTW, its okay that people who don't own the unit are skeptical. They have a right to be careful. I just ask that before anyone makes up their mind, to please view these units first hand...I can honestly say that you will NOT be disappointed with them!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Are my questions so stupid, or insignificant?

Will they prove to be as beneficial as they are being portrayed?

How long will the bulbs last, how difficult, or easy will it be to change them out as they burn out?

Will it be necessary to have the fixture serviced just to change out a burned out bulb?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Response in blue.

Are my questions so stupid, or insignificant?

Will they prove to be as beneficial as they are being portrayed?
I have grown coral under them fro over 2 years and doing good with minimal power.

How long will the bulbs last, how difficult, or easy will it be to change them out as they burn out?
Lifetime really depends on the product or your luck. Field data showed some last 3 month, some lasted 2 years+. If you talking about a single 3W bulb for example, so far changing them are considered difficult for a reefer, easy for a DIYer, difficult for a lazy youngster, easy for handy old man.

Will it be necessary to have the fixture serviced just to change out a burned out bulb?
Generally no, most designs will continue to work with out one bulb and most new fixture have more than enough power to substain life over loosing a string of bulbs.

Grow light are different though, most of the time, it's the driver/power supply that goes out before the bulb, so whole section will go out. For e.g., for the 119W grow light to malfunction, most likely you will see 1/3 or 1/2 of LEDs turn off depends on which design it was derived from.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All!

My name is Jeff and I am a new member of the Pudget Sound Aquarium Society (PSAS) as well as a new reefer (after bieng out of the hobby for 25 yrs).

I just wanted to say what an incredible information this thread has provided me in doing research on LED systems for my future 180 Gallon build!

Jeff

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hi Awi,

In particular with the PacificSun Warranty, your LEDs are covered with a 3 year warranty. If lights do go out on your board, PacificSun USA will replace the entire board for you.

The 1W LED bulbs are rated for operating up to 50,000 hours. Now this is what they say but in all honesty, no fixture has be running for that long yet. You may have seen us say that these units should run 5-7 years without any need for maintenance. This is a very conservative estimate. If in reality, the LEDs run for 50,000 hours, that would equate to 15 years for use.

If a user wanted to change out single bulbs after warranty has expired, it shouldn't be too difficult to do. I will actually look into this matter and see if we could provide maintenance instructions on our www.pacificsunusa.com website. We could also provide links to bulb purchases.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: