LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fishgutz,

Thanks for the harsh feedback. As you said, you were a bummer :) It was a good reality check which reminded me how much time this is going to take and forced me to carefully consider my resources and available time. Also, thanks for the good luck!!

Reefer420,

Did you order the TBS 2 part package including invertibrates, or did you go with rock only all at once?

Regarding the Tunzes, how many and what type do you guys suggest for my tall 120 gallon tank? I tried to look them up on the Tunze web site, but they only showed ones with suction cups on 2 sides. It looked like they go on the bottom of the tank?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
in a brand new tank with nothing theres no need to get the invertibrates right away cause theres nothing for them to eat..:eat:(if you dont no what the cycling part is im sure someone here will give ya a link or tell ya here how to go about it) get the live rock 1st make sure ur tank cycles... then once ur tank is cycled i would get the invertibrates.... just my .02c

look into 2 tunze 6100's with a controller.. thats what i would go for if i had a 120 gallon... and dont forget the magnetic holders cause what it comes with Sucks(excuse my french) its supposed to hang off the tank but it really doesnt... lolz..

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
:)

Thanks to everyone for all of the advise! I am printing out this thread and reading it about 10 more times. I'll come up with a new shopping list and post it later.

Thanks Again,
Leslie

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
fyi, Kasei is selling the controller you need for your heater,

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/sale-trade/12519-stuff-sale.html

depending on the chiller, if it does not have a digital control panel you should get a dual stage controller, this one is just a single.

this is the controller, http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/equipment-reviews/8831-ranco-temp-controllers.html

this reminds me, no one has mentioned getting used equipment. you can save a ton of money doing so, and you get to meet people from the site. look through the for sale section often, there are often great deals here. one good thing is that people on this site are cheap :P err, educated consumers, which keeps the prices low in our market place ;) :)

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
look through the for sale section often, there are often great deals here. one good thing is that people on this site are cheap :P err, educated consumers, which keeps the prices low in our market place ;) :)

Hey I haven't referenced you in any of my posts :Thinking: why do you feel it necessary to leave inuendos about me? :lol: :joke: :grouphug: :kiss:

Russ

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
haha from one cheap ba$stard to another,

hey you vant to buy a vish? I'll make you a deal :D

okay I'm really not that cheap :P

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
haha from one cheap ba$stard to another,

hey you vant to buy a vish? I'll make you a deal :D

okay I'm really not that cheap :P

LOL, my bubba vould have been very proud of you!

As the immortal Yoda would have said, "And stick together we must". :lol2: I'm actually not that bad either. I try though, it just doesn't work! :bigeyes2:

R

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
one thing we should point out to Leslie, once the hobby has it's hooks in you your bank account starts to look like swiss cheese.

also you might start finding the need to hide any joint checking or credit card statements. - what that thing?, um it was just ten dollars, yeah russ just gave it to me, what a great guy :D :D :sgrin:

as for your reef budget add up what you want and double the cost, trust me on this you will see :Up_to_som

that's just for the equipment, don't buy any coral till you check here first, this site will save you major money on live stock, though you will just spend the saved money on more equipment.

hope that does not scare you. :D

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Russ your wife called us, she wants you blocked from the site.

Something about not seeing you for a few months and the only food in the fridge are blocks of mysis and cyclopeeze :splitspin

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As a chic in fashion capitol, my budget is already :eat: .

I quadrupled my budget the minute that I walked into the LFS store. I had done lots of research and was going to start with a 20g nano. My boyfriend insisted that a bigger tank would be easier in the long run (and he is correct I hear :). Also, he is pretty interested himself. Hopefully, no receipt hiding:p .

Now I say what the :skull: ? I am going to set it up right the first time. Not being careless with the $$$, just a good solid tank with the right equipment that looks good in my home.

Looks like birthdays and holidays will all be fishy presents!!!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
LeslieS said:
I quadrupled my budget the minute that I walked into the LFS store.
Now I say what the :skull: ? I am going to set it up right the first time. Not being careless with the $$$, just a good solid tank with the right equipment that looks good in my home.

DAAAMMMMNNNNN, your b/f is lucky. You got any sisters! :flirt: J/K

jhale said:
Russ your wife called us, she wants you blocked from the site.

Something about not seeing you for a few months and the only food in the fridge are blocks of mysis and cyclopeeze

She told me she'd never spill the beans Jon. See what deception gets you! :lol:

swimmer

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
LeslieS said:
As a chic in fashion capitol, my budget is already :eat: .

I quadrupled my budget the minute that I walked into the LFS store. I had done lots of research and was going to start with a 20g nano. My boyfriend insisted that a bigger tank would be easier in the long run (and he is correct I hear :). Also, he is pretty interested himself. Hopefully, no receipt hiding:p .

wow i think your the perfect newbie reefer :)
it's cool that your bf is into it as well, which is very strange for me to type, it's almost 99% of the time the other way around. (tell him he is welcome to join as well!) No one knows why there are not more women keeping reef tanks, it does not seem like it should be a guy girl thing. though you might have indirectly answered the question in your first sentence ;) I know if I had to worry about buying a new pair of manolo's every month i would not have much left in the budget for a reef tank :wink1: also regarding the disproportionate ratio of men to women on the site, I'll apologize in advance if it sounds like a boys club or mens locker room sometimes, you will see that for sure. there is a good number of guys here who know eachother pretty well, and when the reef talk gets boring, well guys will be guys. If you have a good sense of humor feel free to join in any conversations you see.you will definitely be most welcome :D

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Well said Jon.
pouce2.gif

I echo all of it.

jhale said:
wow i think your the perfect newbie reefer :)
I agree.
New reefers can take some pointers from you Leslie.
It's easier to offer advice, when a person is willing to listen.

This thread should be a sticky....:teeth::lol:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
lol, My b/f lol too!

Not to sound corny, but I would say that I am the lucky one. I just spent the mortgage on a fish tank...wait! We rent!!! Anyway, he's pretty cool about the tank. Probably wants me to spend less time on line though. :inlove:

He says you can expect him on line as B. Fishy at a later date. :fish:

Very insightful r.e. the shoe thing. The Euro is up against the dollar so they are even more expensive than usual. :bigeyes2: Also, I think reef keeping is a gear intensive hobby which tends to be a guy thing. I am paying a lot of attention to my equipment because I don't want to have to pay lots of attention to it later. Just want to nurture my critters and crawlys. Is that girly enough? Hahaha.

Anyway you guys have been tons of help. As soon as I have something to show for it, I'll have everyone over for beers to take a look. I'll cook and tidy up, and you guys can bond with my saintly b/f. Haahahahahaha.

I am sure I will have tons more ? tomorrow. Really have to get some paperwork done though...hmmmm.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: