M

Moneymaks24

I realize I have a lot to learn but it seems crazy that there's no info out there about shrooms yet 1000000 pages about growing sps. We get it high ligh high flow big deal. Yet nobody knows anything about mushrooms

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok, first things first. keep your hands out of the tank. quit playing with stuff and switching stuff. honestly if your doing weekly water changes and have a mainly softy tank your really not going to need to dose if your using a salt with elevated numbers. zoa's will grow under leds as well as shroons will. those corals arent light dependent but feed off the water column. you can spot feed them once a week, but quit using coral frenzy and all that other stuff. stick to water change. quit feeding the flake as well, and guarentee you your phosphates arent zero. nitrates can effect the growth of corals in different ways. flow as well. eastiest way to figure out your consumtion of cal, alk and mag is to test it right before a wc, then again 4-5 hours after wc. dont dose all week and re-check levels before wc and same thing 4-5 hours after wc. do this for two weeks and you will find out the demands of your tank. also test you water your getting ready to use for wc to see what the levels are in it. once again keep your hands out of the tank and quit adding stuff

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I guess u don't read why I dose. If I don't my alk drops to 5 dkh within days and calcium also drops. Mag I dose 1 time a month.

Let's go from the beginning:

If mushrooms spread by "lifting the leg like anemone and move" how can they do that if they come glued to a frag?

Ledreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263824.354129.jpggrrow like weed ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263792.237339.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263865.170254.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263886.087286.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263733.371339.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390263733.371339.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 288
M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks nyNoob I read the whole thing..... Not a single mention on how to get mushrooms to spread w LEDs but thanx for trying. As I mentioned I'm not cutting my corals into little triangles which is what the article suggests.

It's all good ill figure it out 1 day and share the reason for NO growth in over a year! for those who are interested. Till then the mystery of the "easy" coral continues...

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most corals dont like high nitrates, so the fact that they are not growing makes sense. whats your ph, nitrites, calcium, hardness, sg?
PhosPhates 0 nitrate 24. Never been below 20 in 2 years but that's another thread. I feed 3 times a day my 2 clowns and helfrichi. Very little food varied 3 times from flake pellet n mysis. Also got coral frenzy. Basically every single additive and equipment I've bought and NO growth!

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.2 -8.4 apex . Calcium 460 (used 3 test kits to confirm . Salinity 1.26 calibrated refractometer. The only (bad) constant is the nitrates as I mentioned at 25ppm and the ph swing coz I don't have a fuge ( tank isn't drilled). If it helps someone ( diagnose) the issue my chalices always turn into bones when I had chalices ( if that helps anyone identity the potential culprit.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw led reef your tank looks amazing I'm jealous. Well done sir *hat tip

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do you have a pic that shows where your LED's are hanging in relation to the tank? ..and also pics to show what the flow is like in there?

I continue to believe from all you have written that your alk was in the toilet for a long time. That would cover why you had issues with your chalices, and why you have so little coralline in the tank.
You are mixing corals - some of which don't mind higher nitrates (zoas, rics, many softies) with LPS and SPS type corals that won't tolerate them.

It takes a while for a tank to stabilize AND it needs to constantly remain that way with no ups & downs for it to really come into it's own. We're talking months here, not weeks.

Keep all of your parameters spot on, be patient, and good things will start to happen.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
On a positive note I noticed coraline finally growing in my tank I've never had that in 2 years. Only on back walk a lil bit. Maybe coz I started dosing or coz I added about 15 lbs of live rock recently. So maybe I'll be seeing some growth this year fingers crossed. Kathy I'll take a pic of my lights but it's basically 8inch from the top. Water flow is 1 mp10 on 40%. I also have a wp25 but I'm waiting till I can figure out how to mod the wire for the apex( it's been done But I'm not good w that stuff ).

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevo u make tht sound easy. I'm not sure how to connect the 2 wires together I guess is the part I'm worried about. Bac to topic here's a pic Kathy of my LEDs
E56D86B1-BAC3-4E33-9643-987A3B04C52D_zpskiicyfkq.jpg

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried lowering light intensity to 30% nothing happened. Going back up to 50% the drama continues

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I haven't gotten any shrooms yet but I run LED and my zoas love it. I've gotten a lot of growth in 2 to 3 months.
I'm sure some one here will be able to help you out. Do keep in mind though no matter how $$ your lights are it takes time.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I'm buying the best salt in the world ESV to take all factors out the equation to pin point the problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: